Menu

Roku? is this what I want?

Renthead Mommy

We have Netflix both instant and DVD plans. Our tvs are too old to plug the computers into them, so if we want to watch an instant view movie, we have to watch it on a computer. The tv's do not have the 9pin connectors, only the auido/video input plugs. They are not HD. We have no plans for getting new tvs anytime soon. My husband likes to watch old, bad, cheesy sci fi (Buck Rogers was running last week). I also like the flexiblity of the instant stuff for school.

With that in mind is a Roku what I want to get? We don't have any video games players that do instant streaming. (we don't do games at home so getting a game box for movies would just open up a huge issue with the 10yo.) I'd like to be able to watch the instant stuff on a tv not just the computers. Is the Roku a pain if you already have a DVD and cable box plugged into the tv? We have some sort of converter to get both plugged in already.

I don't want more technological difficulty. I want simple and easy. Actually I should say my husband does not want more technololgy issues. He likes low key. He wants his computer to do what he wants it to do, but everything else he wants as simple as possible and this would be a christmas gift for him.

I am thinking I want the very basic, purple, $49.99 one. I don't want games, sports, music or other stuff. I just want to be able to watch netflix.

So will this do what I want? Is the purple one the one we want? Will it make life easier or more complicated as far as using and the dvd and cable box?

Thank you.

We have a Roku and it is awesome.

Besides Netflix, we also watch a lot of Amazon Instant Videos on it. If you're a Prime member, many of them are free. They also have newer releases on a pay-per-view basis, usually $3 or $4 each to rent.

All that said, if your TVs are older, they probably don't have HDMI input ports, which is how the Roku box is connected. So in addition to the Roku box itself, you'll also need an HDMI to component converter box. The Roku would plug into the converter box, and then the converter would plug into your TV. Here's a link to one as an example: http://www.amazon.co...mponent adapter

There may be cheaper ones - I just found this one quickly. On the example picture, a Roku would plug into the input side via its HDMI cable, and the red/blue/green and white/red plugs would then go out of the converter box into your TV. Clear as mud? :laugh:

Hope that helps!

My Roku works with either hdmi or the kind of input you can use with an older tv. Double check on that. I love my roku

Roku output options have changed over time and the various new Roku models can have output options different from each other. There are two types of inputs on "older" TVs: composite or component, as described below in the info from Roku's website. So just check your TV's input options before you decide which Roku to buy. (FWIW, the Roku HD is less on Amazon at this moment than the most basic LT model. And you don't need an HDTV to use it.)

According to the Roku website http://support.roku....the-roku-player:

"The video and audio outputs (ports) on the Roku player vary by model.

All Roku 2, Roku HD and Roku LT models include an HDMI port, a composite video port (yellow), and stereo audio ports (red & white). The composite and stereo audio ports on these models is combined into a custom cable with a 3.5mm jack, on the Roku 2 and Roku LT. The Roku HD has full composite ports similar to the older Roku players below.

Older Roku models, except the Roku SD, have an HDMI port, a composite video port (yellow) and stereo audio ports (red & white). Some older Roku models also will have component video (red, green and blue) and digital optical audio ports.

The Roku SD has a composite video port (yellow) and stereo audio ports (red & white)."

The roku box would work. We have the purple one and only tvs with RCA connectors (yellow, red and white plugs). It works great as long as you have wireless internet. We have this to plug in our dvd player, game system and roku box:

http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Audio-Switch-Switcher-Splitter/dp/B003C2T03G/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1354041749&sr=8-6&keywords=rca+splitter

You just have to physically get up and move the switch.

The roku box would work. We have the purple one and only tvs with RCA connectors (yellow, red and white plugs). It works great as long as you have wireless internet. We have this to plug in our dvd player, game system and roku box:

http://www.amazon.co...ds=rca splitter

You just have to physically get up and move the switch.

We have something like that too, except it automatically senses which is being used and switches it for you.

We have one Roku and just bought a new one on Amazon (they were on sale last week. We got the HD for $40). We love our Roku. We watch Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, BYUtv, and YouTube on it regularly. We don't have cable or anything, so the Roku is pretty much our television consumption. We also use it for Pandora right now (Christmas music). I found a Roku channel that has a live stream of CNN world, so I used it during Sandy and the election. Their coverage for major events like that was the same as regular CNN. Our Roku can attach with HDMI cable or with RCA (the three colored ones). We love them very much and can't recommend them highly enough. Now if only they could play .avi files, they would be our go to media machine for everything!

We don't have cable, so I don't know how it would work with that, but just got a wifi-able dvd player instead of a Roku box. I use it for Netflix mostly, but also for youtube and Amazon instant video & Pandora music. They cost a little more than a basic Roku box, but that way you don't have an extra thing to plug in (and our other dvd player was dying so I was looking to replace it anyway). Mine is Panasonic, and I'm really happy with it & setup was pretty easy. Be careful to get a wireless one, though: some use ethernet cables to connect, and that would only work if your modem is near your tv.

We don't have cable, so I don't know how it would work with that, but just got a wifi-able dvd player instead of a Roku box. I use it for Netflix mostly, but also for youtube and Amazon instant video & Pandora music. They cost a little more than a basic Roku box, but that way you don't have an extra thing to plug in (and our other dvd player was dying so I was looking to replace it anyway). Mine is Panasonic, and I'm really happy with it & setup was pretty easy. Be careful to get a wireless one, though: some use ethernet cables to connect, and that would only work if your modem is near your tv.

We have a Samsung bluray that's Internet capable and when our roku went out this month we tried not buying a new one by using the bluray instead. We bought a new roku after two days. It has way more channels than the bluray. Maybe some brands have more channels, but Samsung didn't have some of the ones we wanted. We love ours.