Menu

My 11yo finished history (Early Modern Times) and wants more?

nitascool

Hello. I'm not quite sure how my son, who is 11, managed to do this, but he has finished his history study for the year.

This year we are studying Early Modern Times so I gave him SOTW 3 to read at his leasure. Every other chapter he was to do a narration. He has writing issues and requiring a written exercise for each chapter would have really stiffled his desire to learn.

He finished SOTW 3 at the end of September with fairly good recall of the material. So I gave him George Washington's World to read, again doing a narration ever other section which he completed in October. I then gave him The Usborne internet-linked Encylopedia of World History, he read the entire book in 2 weeks (it was his 3rd read through of this book). So I dug up the Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World, he finished this book Friday.

Now I'm not sure what to give him for the rest of the year. He is already asking for "another great history book".

Other history books he's read:

Trial and Triumph

An Island Story

Viking Tales

The Ingri D' Aulaire Series

A Child's History of the World

The Dicovery of New Worlds

This Country of Ours

All About Money (a history of money)

The Nineteenth Century

He's also gone through 2 series from our library, one was basic histories of different countries of the world (short 60-100 pg) and the other was different religions of the world.

I planned on having him read SOTW 4,The Story of Mankind, Abraham Lincoln's World, What Everyone Should Know About the 20th Century, Story of the Greeks, Augustus Caesar's World, and Story of the Romans next year. I really don't want to get him off the cycle by giving him these books early.

Are there any other large good children's histories that will cover Early Modern Times that I can just toss him and not have to worry about the content? Or even a good history series that he might like?

My concern would be that most officially "kid-friendly" books on the same time period will overlap one another quite a bit. Given how many he's already read, the repetition danger seems rather high. Why not give him primary sources? I know that's meant to be rhetoric-stage, but if he's interested and eager, I don't see the harm.

Hello. I'm not quite sure how my son, who is 11, managed to do this, but he has finished his history study for the year.

This year we are studying Early Modern Times so I gave him SOTW 3 to read at his leasure. Every other chapter he was to do a narration. He has writing issues and requiring a written exercise for each chapter would have really stiffled his desire to learn.

He finished SOTW 3 at the end of September with fairly good recall of the material. So I gave him George Washington's World to read, again doing a narration ever other section which he completed in October. I then gave him The Usborne internet-linked Encylopedia of World History, he read the entire book in 2 weeks (it was his 3rd read through of this book). So I dug up the Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World, he finished this book Friday.

Now I'm not sure what to give him for the rest of the year. He is already asking for "another great history book".

Other history books he's read:

Trial and Triumph

An Island Story

Viking Tales

The Ingri D' Aulaire Series

A Child's History of the World

The Dicovery of New Worlds

This Country of Ours

All About Money (a history of money)

The Nineteenth Century

He's also gone through 2 series from our library, one was basic histories of different countries of the world (short 60-100 pg) and the other was different religions of the world.

I planned on having him read SOTW 4,The Story of Mankind, Abraham Lincoln's World, What Everyone Should Know About the 20th Century, Story of the Greeks, Augustus Caesar's World, and Story of the Romans next year. I really don't want to get him off the cycle by giving him these books early.

Are there any other large good children's histories that will cover Early Modern Times that I can just toss him and not have to worry about the content? Or even a good history series that he might like?

My son studied the whole of SOTW 1-4 last year and loved it. I suggest going on to SOTW 4 now.

We are currently reading Hirsh's American History Civil War section, Joy Hakim's Story of US, and several books on the Civil War from the library. And he is writing about the Civil War (his choice). Earlier this year we had a bunch of books on Vikings as he was writing about that.

I would tend to let a child who is "into" history go with it, rather than holding back to stay on some cycle. Also, I am not clear what the cycle is that you mean, given that it has things from modern times, mixed with Civil War era, mixed with Greece and Rome. But if they are good for next year, they should be fine for now too. Next year he may have different interests.

I think my reply disappeared. That is disappointing.

I suggest going right on to SOTW and anything else that would interest him right now, not holding these things back for next year.

By next year he may be ready for materials for older children.