Menu

readers or activity to go along w/ OPG

nsharris28

My 4 yr. old knows his letter sounds and is ready to learn to read. I'm planning on skipping to the short-vowel words in Ordinary Parents Guide (OPG) to start teaching him. My question is are any of you adding anything to the lessons in the book, like readers where he can actually practice what he's learning? Seems a little tedious to have all this learning w/o some books in his hands! I don't want him to not see the fruits of his labor! Suggestions?

We used the Bob books early. We also used the Nora Gaydos readers when my guys got tired of the Bob Books.

:iagree: This is what we did. Bob Books and Nora Gaydos readers.

Another thing I did was print out the sentences from OPTGR and glue one per index card. We would throw those in the rotation for review reading.

Another thing I did was print out the sentences from OPTGR and glue one per index card. We would throw those in the rotation for review reading.

Great idea -- I think DD would like that!

One thing we do is dictation after every few lessons (we currently don't do any *other* dictation). But after DD has read the sentences, I let her pick her favorite. Then I close the book and read it out to her. She writes it and illustrates it.

As far as readers go, I was never a fan of the BOB books. I ended up getting this:

http://www.amazon.com/BEGINNING-READING-Eastern-Mennonite-Publications/dp/B000LBW3F8

which my daughter really likes. It starts very simple and it's definitely a true phonics reader. Obviously, there is Christian content (simplified Bible stories and mention of God).

After this, I hope to be able to move on to Arnold Lobel, James Marshall and the like...

**My daughter struggled to pick up on reading CVC words for the longest time and the book I linked above was a God-send. It starts off so gently (similar to the BOB books) but with -- IMO -- better stories.

My daughter enjoys reading aloud to me the first set of Bob books. (She is just beginning to learn digraphs (sh, th, ch) from OPG.) I don't think I'll buy more readers at this point, because she's starting to read random things around the house.

I like Games for Learning by Peggy Kaye. She has some fun activities to reinforce early reading and comprehension. She assumes a sight-reading approach, but that doesn't stop us from enjoying the games. I got the book initially from our library, and enjoyed it so much, I bought it.

You can play some games to practice reading! One silly fun game we enjoyed was the Montessori Command Game. You write little sentences (phonics-based) on slips of paper, put them into something...I used a basket...and then the child draws one out, reads it silently, and then acts it out.

Examples--

Pat Mom.

Jump up!

Pet a dog.

Kiss a cat.

And so on. Lots of fun!

We also did some work with small objects that had phonetic names. This is the Montessori object box work, and it's easy to adapt. The tiny objects are sweet and fun. I bought mine for a song off of ebay, but you can go to a Monti site and just see what you need, and then collect them at the dollar store, or even around the house.