Menu

Do I have enough turkey?

We have 16 adults and 4 kids coming for Thanksgiving. I just found out that another adult is joining (uninvited) and possibly two more adults (uninvited) might show up.

I bought a 20 lb turkey and a 10 lb ham with lots of side items. Is that enough or will I need a turkey breast or something to go with it?

with a 10lb ham, I'd think you're fine.

dh does the turkey. He bought a 23 lb fresh bird for 26 people - but that includes six littles. (he'll get a larger fresh bird if he finds one.). what we run out of is stuffing . . so he also always does a turkey the night before.

Thanks for all the replies. :) I thought I replied last night, but I guess I didn't (still adjusting to the boards! lol).

I'm going to hope for the best but will talk it over with DH tonight. He plans on using the leftovers to feed a crowd of his friends on Saturday, so we may buy a turkey breast just to be safe.

The rule of thumb is normally 1/4 lb/person, but I would figure 1/2 a lb for T-Day. You should be good.

Is the 1/4 lb/person rule for the meat or for the full bird? That sounds to me like a good amount for meat, but a 12-pound turkey doesn't have 12 pounds of meat, of course.