Menu

Ibuprofen: True or False?

I was told that if you took Ibuprofen when you have your monthly visitor is slows the bleeding. BUT, when you are having a procedure done, they tell you to stop taking any NSAIDS due to the risk of bleeding.

So which is it? Is it a blood THINNER? Or, it helps slow the flow of blood.

((confused))

Both. Ibuprofen does decrees coagulation rate - although it's not nearly as bad as asprin. Hence, the advise to limit it before surgery.

However, Ibuprofen is a prosoglandin inhibitor and, in high doses, can reduce heavy menstral flow. Nothing fishy about it at all. I use it myself during really awful months. Although it isn't a sure bet it can be remarkably helpful when it works.

My OBGYN told me about the menstrual thing. I used to have heavy periods and ibuprofin (rather large doses, prescribed by her) really helped lighten them. I prefer to take magnesium in the first place, though.

Yes. This is what I was told as well. But then I hear you need to stop taking Ibuprofen at least a weak prior to any surgical procedures due to the risk of your blood not clotting. So, two very different things I am hearing. :bored:

Both. Ibuprofen does decrees coagulation rate - although it's not nearly as bad as asprin. Hence, the advise to limit it before surgery.

However, Ibuprofen is a prosoglandin inhibitor and, in high doses, can reduce heavy menstral flow. Nothing fishy about it at all. I use it myself during really awful months. Although it isn't a sure bet it can be remarkably helpful when it works.

Sorry, I posted the same time you were. Okay, that would make sense. Thanks for the clarification. :grouphug:

Just typed a long reply and the computer ate it. So, here goes again. IB is an anticoagulant and will increase bleeding hence the caution to stop prior to surgery, etc.

However, the same thing that makes it disrupt your coagulation is the same thing that makes it effective at suressing menstral flow. Ibuprofen is a prostaglandin inhibitor. This action can, in large doses, reduces the flow.

I think it may help if you understand that stopping bleeding is a two phase process:

1.) Primary Hemostasis is dependent on platelets forming a temporary clot or plug. The platelets attach to the surface (and each other thanks to the action of VonWillebrand Factor on glycoprotein Ib/IX), are activated and release arachadonic acid which stimulates platelet release and aggregation. Arachadonic acid is converted (via Cyclooxygenase) into Thromboxane A2 which further recruits platelets, induces vasoconstriction (clamping down vessels stops the bleeding), and exposes platelet surface glycoprotein IIb/IIIa. Fibrinogen/Factor VIII then cross connects the surface glycoproteins to form the temporary platelet plug. Unfortunately this platelet plug only lasts for 12-24 hours which basically gives the clotting factors time to work through the coagulation cascade.

2.)Secondary Hemostasis is due to the clotting cascade. The intrinsic and extrinsic pathways ultimately converge to convert prothrombin to thrombin which leads to clot formation by converting Fibrinogen to Fibrin.

*Because our bodies love homeostasis we also have natural anticoagulants in our bodies which help limit clot size and start breaking down the clot as well. Patients who have deficiencies of Protein C and Protein S or patients who have significant protein deficiencies in general can have unchecked thrombosis which can lead to DVT, PE, and even death.

Aspirin (by irreversibly modifying Cyclooxygenase) and Ibuprofen and other NSAIDs (which reversibly binds to Cyclooxygenase) decrease platelet function and interfere with primary hemostasis. This is why we like to hold them prior to surgery or other procedures where bleeding is likely.

Heparin (and it's newer formulative derivatives) and Warfarin (and other newer clotting factor inhibitors) interfere with secondary hemostasis.

The reason Ibuprofen can be helpful with dysmenorrhea is because it inhibits prostaglandin production. It is the prostaglandin which causes the menstrual cramping. Theoretically the Ibuprofen may also reduce bleeding because blocking the prostaglandin also reduces vasodilation and increases vasoconstriction reducing bleeding. (Prostaglandin causes vasodilation.) To my knowledge, there really isn't great evidence to support this bleeding reduction it is just one of those physiologic theoretical things but I am not an OB-Gyn so there may be some more recent literature that actually corroborates the theory I'm unaware of.

Just typed a long reply and the computer ate it. So, here goes again. IB is an anticoagulant and will increase bleeding hence the caution to stop prior to surgery, etc.

However, the same thing that makes it disrupt your coagulation is the same thing that makes it effective at suressing menstral flow. Ibuprofen is a prostaglandin inhibitor. This action can, in large doses, reduces the flow.

What is considered "large doses"?

I was taking 800mg every 6 hours. That's beyond a generaly recommended max. daily dose. But, it was with a doctor's supervision. I'm not suggesting that YOU take this much.

My GYN told me I could take more then the 1600 mg I normally take(Only on day two because I loathe any kind of cramps) and I am a little heavier on day two. Not sure if it slows bleeding or not. I will ask him when I see him next week. Thanks.