Menu

Warning! Disgusting pet question re: parasite. What is it???

I am familiar with different types of worms in dogs, but right now I am stumped!!

My dog vomited up two grub like things, fully intact. The grubs we typically find in our soil are whitish in color. These are brown, almost the color of earthworms. They are about an inch long and 1/4" or so wide. I have never seen anything like it and can't find any info on the computer.

What could it be??

I saved them in a bag to take to the vet tomorrow, but I am worried about what they are and if it is contagious in any way to our other animals. It is really gross. No dinner for me tonight...:eek:

Hope I didn't ruin your dinner too, but I would love to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Gross! But, my dogs and cats have had worms quite a few times over the years, and none ever looked like that, they are always white and usually in the other end. (((shudder))) so since dogs eat really random, gross things, could the dog have eaten some random bug and barfed it up, ie, doesn't actually have any parasites?

The vet will know.

It sounds like cuterebra to me. *Warning* to others that are not the OP: the link has gross descriptions and don't google pictures, if you don't want to be freaked out. It's a parasitic botfly larva.

I should note, that I've only ever seen them in skin lesions, but it appears they will enter nasal passages, etc., so I wonder it that's where it came from.

Edited by sparrow

I know this may be a long shot, but is there any chance your dog ate them when she was outside, and then threw them back up?

Also -- make sure you and your family wash your hands thoroughly after you touch the dog. Hopefully, these things aren't able to be passed to humans, but don't take any chances! :ack2:

Our dog does have a strong hunting instinct and she runs wild in the woods behind our house. I was wondering if she possibly ate an infected animal that she either found dead or caught while out and about.

The info that I found on the botfly sounds like it just lays its' eggs under the skin, so I don't think that this parasite is somehow inside of her internally.

In all of my years having pets, I have never seen anything like it. I have a strong stomach ususally, but this was really disgusting.