Menu

struggling with apologia physics

dd is really struggling with apologia physics. She absolutely loved their biology and A & P, got through chemistry and does very well in all her other classes and scored well on the SAT.

Her confidence is quickly going down the drain. It is her senior year and she has worked very hard. She really does not need this fourth science as she will not be an STEM major at all. She has had someone help her with the math that is a STEM major and even he said the problem eithier did not make much sense or struggled with it. Is it the course? She is not a math kid.

I am trying to decide on dropping the class or switching to a more basic physics. Any advice? I hate seeing her doubt her intelligiene when we are looking at colleges.

K

Have you tried using online videos like GPB or Khan Academy?

What is GPB?

... each person is different in what they bring to a course...

Joan

:iagree:-- Physics is mostly math. If your daughter struggles with Algebra and hasn't been introduced to some Trig (sine, cosine, tangent and vectors), it may be the reason your daughter is struggling.

Physics is mostly math.

No, No , No!!!! Physics is NOT mostly math. It is extremely unfortunate that this is a widespread viewpoint, because it completely misses WHAT physics is.

If your daughter struggles with Algebra and hasn't been introduced to some Trig (sine, cosine, tangent and vectors), it may be the reason your daughter is struggling.

I agree with that - because math is a tool used to do physics.

There are two ways to deal with this issue: either strengthen her math, or switch to a conceptual physics text that focuses more on the concepts and less on using math.

It may also be that her math skills are not the problem, but that Apologia is not a good fit; in that case, I would try out a different text and see if that works better.