Menu

Lego Families, I need ideas...

My DS is 8 yrs old and has more Legos than any single child should ever own. :tongue_smilie: While he likes sets, they never stay together and are usually broken apart by the second or third day. Since he likes building so much, I was thinking about getting him the kind of sets that are less "themed," and more engineering based. I can't find that type in the Lego catalog though. Anyone know the name of the sets or website where I can find them?

Note: Kinex are out. He doesn't like them at all. He likes his snap-on set, and really enjoys inventing new contraptions. I'd love to hear any other ideas you might have for a boy who wants to be an inventor when he grows up. :001_smile: Thanks!

Since your son owns so many Legos now, he might enjoy some of the many websites featuring original creations. My son really liked:

http://www.classic-castle.com

and submitted photos of his medieval village and castles. There are other sites with tons of ideas.

He might like problem-solving challenges with the bricks he has; things like having a basket of papers with building challenges which he picks from and then has to build using a only certain pieces or a bag of pieces you have selected., or making the fastest car, strongest building, etc., making an all red, or black or yellow creation, etc.

We got much mileage out of buying only a few specific pieces to add to the collection when a new project was conceived.

Have fun!

I am pretty sure mine has more. It is beyond ridiculous. One thing that helps keep the sets together and not falling apart is to build/keep them on a tray. I got these black large sized cafeteria trays in a 5 pack at a restaurant supply store for cheap. You can buy them online too. I must have 20 of them at least. They are great for art projects too, and washable.

DS has so many sets I have 2 of the tall/large IKEA trofast things filled up. He keeps his Mindstorm and other small pieces sorted by color/size in 4 plastic cases that are meant for nuts and bolts type things from a hardware store. Also he has a large table set up in his room for sets that are built and staged. That way they don't sit around and fall apart.

ETA: Mine is 8 too! It is not getting any better. Now he started buying ME lego sets LOL.