Menu

What rivers to study?

sbgrace

I want to do some geography work on world rivers. I'm trying to decide which to cover. My kids are third grade and we're going to be studying ancient history for the first time.

I have a list of possible rivers to cover. Would you cover all these rivers or select just some? Any that you would add?

Asia: Ob, Yellow(Huang He), Yangtze(Chang Jiang), Ganges, Indus, Tigris, Euphrates

Africa: Nile, Niger, Congo

South America: Amazon, Parana, Orinoco

North America: Mississippi/major tributaries, Mackenzie, Yukon

Australia: Murray-Darling

Europe: Volga, Danube, Rhine

(x-post/thought it would be better here)

Edited by sbgrace

Well, in Ancients you will be studying people who settled near rivers, so I'd just incorporate the rivers into history. For example, when you study Mesopotamia, do Tigris/Euphrates. When you get to Egypt, do the Nile. When you do Indus Valley, do the Indus.

I might also throw in some "famous" rivers that act as borders between countries, or that "everyone should know"--Seine, Po, Thames, etc.

I'd go with the Rhine because you can take in the rising sea levels after the ice ages, cutting off the British Isles from the rest of Europe: the Thames used to be part of the Rhine system.

I'd do the Chiang Jiang for Asia: the estuary and its effect on the shape of China (producing the western bump on which Shanghai lies) is interesting geography. It's the longest in Asia, and you can do some good studies on the effects of the dams.

Laura