Menu

Prealgebra- does this exist?

We are doing pre-algebra by cobbling together several resources. What I need, however, are review pages that spiral and review previous concepts. Right now I am forced to put them together myself. I was wondering if anyone knows of a resource or resources that would provide this kind of review (or at least make it easier for me to put them together).

Thanks,

We are doing pre-algebra by cobbling together several resources. What I need, however, are review pages that spiral and review previous concepts. Right now I am forced to put them together myself. I was wondering if anyone knows or a resource or resources that would provide this kind of review (or at least make it easier for me to put them together).

Thanks,

Hm,

Some Prealgebra programs which are more spiral based include:

Saxon

CLE

TT

Horizons

The degree and method of spiral most likely varies with each program.

The other option is to use a topical supplement to your spine curriculum and bring it in after covering the topic. Since Pre-Algebra really is mostly a summary of primary math the amount of review needed can vary by topic. For example if your dc is having trouble with fractions or decimals use "Keys To", MM or another topical reference to review over those areas. But maybe you are already doing that in part?

Edited by dereksurfs

Thanks. Do any of the curricula you mention have tests or review sheet supplements that will provide a worksheet with a few problems on previously taught skills?

He is moving quickly through concepts but I find we need to review them just to make sure he stays sharp.

Does this make any sense?

Thanks. Do any of the curricula you mention have tests or review sheet supplements that will provide a worksheet with a few problems on previously taught skills?

He is moving quickly through concepts but I find we need to review them just to make sure he stays sharp.

Its not clear to me if you are asking for other primary program suggestions or supplimentals to review concepts already covered in your current program? I'm curious which math program you are currently using?

We use TabletClass Pre-A which I did not list above because its not 'Spiral' per se. However it does have end of the chapter tests and extra chapter worksheets. If chapter test scores are somewhat low we go back over areas missed. We also use the extra chapter worksheets provided. While certain chapters build upon previous ones I wouldn't necessarily consider it spiral like CLE for example. Once fractions are covered the student moves on to the next subject.

Edited by dereksurfs

The Lial books have cumulative review pages. The Basic College Math book is probably the level you want. You can get them used for like $10.

:iagree:We haven't used Lial but I suggest the same path...I've seen a few middle and high school texts in used book stores that do the same.

If I remember correctly, MEP also does this. Every 5th day used to be a review of previously taught concepts and one could easily assign the 5th day papers for quizzes/tests. I'm guessing that for prealgebra, you'd want to look at MEP Year 6. Or Year 7 if Year 6 is too easy. It has been a few years since we used MEP, hope I'm not mistaken in suggesting this. Ah, I see that they've also added some Teacher Support in Preparation links for Years 1-6 and some tests for Year 7+. There are exercises there with solutions that could be helpful too.

Great! A few things for me to look into. I was wondering if the Saxon 1/2 or Abeka supplemental books would help. Not the texts, but the supplements but I cannot figure out which ones might be helpful.

To answer what we are using- I am using lessons I teach, Kahn academy practice problems, MathCounts practice problems and review sheets I make. I am just starting to look to incorporate AoPS as well.

Part of me would love a curriculum that I could just use but I find that we cover things well this way. We will be looking to Algebra soon but I want to make sure he is quickly able to work through anything I throw him from pre-algebra first.

Any other suggestions are very welcome as well!

Great! A few things for me to look into. I was wondering if the Saxon 1/2 or Abeka supplemental books would help. Not the texts, but the supplements but I cannot figure out which ones might be helpful.

To answer what we are using- I am using lessons I teach, Kahn academy practice problems, MathCounts practice problems and review sheets I make. I am just starting to look to incorporate AoPS as well.

Part of me would love a curriculum that I could just use but I find that we cover things well this way. We will be looking to Algebra soon but I want to make sure he is quickly able to work through anything I throw him from pre-algebra first.

Any other suggestions are very welcome as well!

Wow, it sounds like you have cobbled together quite a program. :D Obviously you're skilled enough to pull something like this off which I know my dw would not want to do. Those all seem like solid choices. Maybe cobbling is ok until you get to Algebra 1.

I've heard good things about BJU Pre-Algebra in terms of both breadth and depth as well.

Not sure if this is useful in your situation, but the Horizons pre-algebra has a book of tests and extra worksheets. We haven't used the extra worksheets very often, but if I remember correctly, the entire worksheet reviews one concept. For example, we ds needed extra work with square roots, we used that worksheet.

The student "worktext" is set up that new teaching and practice problems are on one side of the workbook page while review of various different types of problems are on the back.

So, you could either make use of the tests and extra worksheets... or possibly using the "backside" of the student "worktext" pages would be helpful to you.

We're also cobbling together pre algebra this year. Zaccaro, DM, SYRWTL Maths2, Aops videos.

Every day we also do one page of "Math Minutes". It's pretty easy and very quick but assures me my daughter won't forget basics. Galore Park Mixed Maths Review is the other one I'm toying with when she finishes math minutes.

What about Khan Academy? There is a concept review built into the progression there. I think it is based on how long it has been since a specific topic was covered. This is an online resource, rather than a specific curriculum. (I'm not comfortable with using just Khan Academy, but it is an incredible resource.)

I was wondering if the Saxon 1/2 or Abeka supplemental books would help. Not the texts, but the supplements but I cannot figure out which ones might be helpful.

I'm not familiar with what "supplemental books" Abeka would have along these lines?? (They have a student worktext (worksheets bound together, but tear-out-able) & a quiz/test booklet.)

Perhaps the Horizons Pre-Algebra extra worksheets (80 review worksheets) someone discussed would be easy to get ahold of.