Menu

Daily morning exercise for the kids- ideas?

I have my oldest do Zumba on the Wii for 20 minutes after breakfast, lunch & diinner. He is my overly active child that needs to release all that energy or he can't focus!

I know others would recommend the Wii Fit Plus, but I don't think it gets the heart rate up at all. Plus, you only do something active for 3 minutes and then wait for 2 minutes for the game to give you a score & load the next game.

If you want to do something with your children, you can all do Zumba together. Only one can be wearing the remote though.

Ours usually goes like this...

Put on your shoes....put on your jacket....put yourself on the other side of this door....and on your way, here is the trash, compost and recyclables....see ya in 1/2 an hour....be ready to start school.....:tongue_smilie:

Lame huh? But it has worked well for the past 20 years:D

Put on your shoes....put on your jacket....put yourself on the other side of this door....and on your way, here is the trash, compost and recyclables....see ya in 1/2 an hour....be ready to start school.....:tongue_smilie:

:lol: I do this at nap time, barring nasty weather.

I agree that the Wii fit really doesn't count much towards exercise, IMHO. My kids do yoga, play outside, hike, ride bikes/scooters, and occasionally dance or do exercises with me.

Has anyone tried any of the dancing games for the game systems? I was thinking of trying something like that for some winter activity this year.

We have Dance Central 2 and love it. We might get another game for the 12 yo for Christmas this year. He's the one who loves it the most! He'll play it until he gets it!!!

OP - do your kids have outside activities? My kids are involved in karate, rowing, baseball, soccer, and gymnastics. So, I never feel the need to have them exercise at home.

But, a few years ago, I did Couch to 5K WITH them!! I had been running for a while. But, they hadn't. At the end, they all ran a 5K at Disney. I ran my first half the same weekend. Two of my three are still runners!!! Maybe try doing something with them with a goal at the end?

Edited by Jennifer in MI

• 2 weeks later...

Put on your shoes....put on your jacket....put yourself on the other side of this door....and on your way, here is the trash, compost and recyclables....see ya in 1/2 an hour....be ready to start school..... :tongue_smilie:

I like this. I used to this and need to get back to it. Allergy season is over so there is no reason my kids shouldn't be sent outside frequently.

It's impossible finding a place that has a daily exercise program to attend. I don't get why gyms don't have a family exercise program you can do with your kids.

I agree.

That has been an ongoing complaint of mine.

We used to have a gym that offered twice weekly homeschool PE classes. I loved that I could work out at the same time. But the gym was bought out by a big chain and they eliminated the PE program. Every time I asked about them offering a fitness class for children, they woiuld tell me how wonderful their day care was and how many computers they had for the children to play on while in day care. So not what I was interested in.

After several years of searching, I have recently found two private studios (yoga and martial arts) that offer family classes. I am excited to try them out after the holidays.

We do walk and bike quite a bit as a family. We also use FitDeck cards, which we love for variety.