Menu

Irregular heart beat question

Any thoughts on an irregular heart beat? I noticed last night that my heart was beating funny (I wear ear plugs at night so I can hear it really good). It went thump, thump, thump, thuuuuuuump, BOOM. Over and over. I thought it'd go away but it's been doing it all day today as well. I can feel my heart flutter a bit when it does it. I looked it up and it sounds like PVC, but I know nothing about heart issues. Hubby says I should get it checked out if it doesn't go away, but I sure feel silly going in to get a bunch of tests for nothing.

You probably should get it checked out. I had the same kind of heart beat, and it lasted for quiet awhile. I got to feeling faint because my heart was beating so erratically. I was put on a heart monitor and they ran some tests, but nothing conclusive. I read somewhere that taking a magnesium supplement helps with heart issues, so I purchased some chelated magnesium. Taking it on a regular basis has helped me have minimal to no erratic heartbeats.

So while I recommend taking magnesium, I still would have your heart checked out. It's not something to mess around with.

I have PVC's too - they are a somewhat common side effect of perimenopause. I did all the tests. You can't really mess around with your heart. I went to a cardiologist who could hear them and didn't really recommend any other tests, but mine were making me so anxious I ended up doing all the tests!

Mine still come and go, but luckily they don't make me nervous any more.

It does sound like my PVCs feel. They did go hog wild around perimenopause and then settled down. At their worst, I had several a minute and sometimes they were painful.

It would be wise to go in to the doctor. Though PVCs are benign, it's sure not something to diagnose over the internet. ;) So I wouldn't worry, but I would go in. The doctor is not going to think you're silly for wanting to be sure.

Progesterone deficiency does that to me. I use progesterone 2x morning and night, no issues. magnesium is always good with hormonal issues. chelated is better than the cheaper stuff that acts more like a laxative.my one warning with progesterone is that it's a strong diuretic and you need to be a person who's well hydrated.

Only med I take is zoloft, which I've been on for almost a year. About 4 months ago I started cutting the dose in half. Other than that, nothing. I am 33, so I doubt (hopefully) that it's perimenopause, but maybe?:001_huh: If it isn't gone by tomorrow I will call the dr and get looked at.

I have PVC's too - they are a somewhat common side effect of perimenopause. I did all the tests. You can't really mess around with your heart. I went to a cardiologist who could hear them and didn't really recommend any other tests, but mine were making me so anxious I ended up doing all the tests!

Mine still come and go, but luckily they don't make me nervous any more.

:iagree: This is the same for me.

Only med I take is zoloft, which I've been on for almost a year. About 4 months ago I started cutting the dose in half. Other than that, nothing. I am 33, so I doubt (hopefully) that it's perimenopause, but maybe?:001_huh: If it isn't gone by tomorrow I will call the dr and get looked at.

Unless you're developing an intolerance to it. I can't take any depression meds now. They all make my heart go nuts.

I went to the dr yesterday. She heard it with the stethoscope and of course the EKG didn't cooperate so I have to do a 24 hour halter monitor test. She said that it's either a PVC or PAC. I mentioned that last Monday (2 days before I noticed my heart issue), I ate salmon which made my chest get tight, my mouth feel funny and then I broke out in hives. I took benadryl. She said that my allergic reaction probably threw my heart beat off and that it'll right itself on its own.

No more seafood for me. :lol:

I'm glad you got it checked out. I'm sure it will give you peace of mind. Let us know how you fare.

I'm another one who was helped with magnesium. I had PVC's for years, worse when the dc were younger and I was sleep deprived. I went through echocardiograms and halter monitors three times. By mistake, through buying a calcium supplement that was on sale that happened to have magnisium in it, I discovered that as long as I take magnesium, my heartbeat stays very regular.