Menu

Frugal home decorating ideas needed...help me get out of my funk!

I have been in such a funk lately and I HAVE TO GET OUT OF IT!!! Briefly, within the past 5 years, we have had the birth of our daughter, immediately followed by unemployment, a short job and then more unemployment, a move to another state, living with my parents, MORE unemployment, losing our home, losing most of our furniture that had been in storage, and finally our family living apart right now (dh works out of town now for a career that he finally loves). So here we are, living in a rental home that I HATE, with pieced together furniture because we lost most of ours (mold - not covered by insurance).

I have been feeling sad lately about our living situation. Our rental house is about 40 years old and hasn't been taken care of well. The walls (which were supposed to be painted before we moved in) are white, but have marks and paint streaks on them. The baseboards have been painted white as well, and they look terrible (whoever painted this house should have their paint brush permenantly removed). We have cheap blinds on all of the windows and no window treatments. I haven't hung a thing on the walls because my initial hope was to not be there for long. Our furniture is blah, because it was put together quickly after we lost our "real" furniture.

I need something to spice the house up, but I don't have much money to do so (and I hate to put a lot of money into a house that I hate). Any thoughts on frugal ideas to help my house?

Thanks so much!

ETA: I am very open to blogs that talk about inexpensive decorating as well. I really need some help here!

Edited by mandos mom

Can you paint the walls? Would the landlord pay for the paint?

Thrift stores hold many treasures that may need a coat of paint or stain. Can you sew? You can make simple window treatments or pillows. Sometimes you can find pretty sheets for projects like this. Try T.J. Maxx or clearance sales. Thrift stores might have fabric, sheets, or tablecloths that you can fashion into other things...also, ugly pillows that you can cover. Garage sales are your friend, too.

Look on Pinterest for ideas. Google is your friend, too. There are SO many web sites, blogs, etc., with frugal decorating ideas.

Hope that helps a little.

Do you have money for paint? I find that painting is the most effective for visual impact - and you mention that you hate the condition of your paint.

I am sure that our landlord would let us paint, but I almost hate to put that kind of money into something that we can't take with us. Maybe I should see if they would let us take the cost of the paint out of our rent? I do agree that a new paint job would do wonders for this house.

Can you paint the walls? Would the landlord pay for the paint?

Thrift stores hold many treasures that may need a coat of paint or stain. Can you sew? You can make simple window treatments or pillows. Sometimes you can find pretty sheets for projects like this. Try T.J. Maxx or clearance sales. Thrift stores might have fabric, sheets, or tablecloths that you can fashion into other things...also, ugly pillows that you can cover. Garage sales are your friend, too.

Look on Pinterest for ideas. Google is your friend, too. There are SO many web sites, blogs, etc., with frugal decorating ideas.

Hope that helps a little.

I don't sew. My mom does, but her machine is on the fritz. I have never been very crafty, although now is probably a good time to start. I guess I need some inspiration.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

How long will you be in this house? Because even though you hate it--and I feel your pain on that--paint might still help it look less dreadful.

What about area rugs? And depending on the size of your windows, sometimes you can use sheets as curtains without any sewing at all. Just use the hem at the top as the channel for the curtain rod, KWIM? Or there are these rings that have clips on them, so you'd clip the hem of the sheet and hang it on the rod. You can also use sheets as shower curtains (you'd want to also use a plastic liner, of course).

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

How long will you be in this house? Because even though you hate it--and I feel your pain on that--paint might still help it look less dreadful.

That's the problem...I don't know! As I mentioned, dh works out of town. He recently started in a brand new industry, but after all of these years I am so thankful to say that he has finally found his thing! Our hope is for us to eventually move and live where he works, be since his career change is still fairly new, we decided it was best for me to keep my job and stay close to my family here (they are great support). When we feel the time is right, kids and I will move. Just not sure when that will be (the earliest, next summer). :confused:

That was my first thought.

Next was what about putting sheets or slipcovers over your furniture to give it a more uniform look?

You could watch Craigslist for cheap pieces you like.

I discovered 36th Avenue not that long ago. I love it! They have lots of DIY ideas and links.

I will check out this site. Looks good, so far. :)

Regarding Craigslist, I live in a place where Craigslist isn't utilized much, so I rarely find things there. I will keep looking though.

That's the problem...I don't know! As I mentioned, dh works out of town. He recently started in a brand new industry, but after all of these years I am so thankful to say that he has finally found his thing! Our hope is for us to eventually move and live where he works, be since his career change is still fairly new, we decided it was best for me to keep my job and stay close to my family here (they are great support). When we feel the time is right, kids and I will move. Just not sure when that will be (the earliest, next summer). :confused:

:grouphug:

I'd still go for the paint, if possible. That's six months or more of living with ugly white walls. Your mental health is important. :)

:grouphug:

I'd still go for the paint, if possible. That's six months or more of living with ugly white walls. Your mental health is important. :)

I agree. We have lived in this house for almost two years already. I was fine for a while...ever since fall arrived (and regular sunshine has left) I have felt major depression coming on. And I feel silly to say it is caused by my house, but truthfully, it is! (Also the reasons we are living in this house are affecting my mood as well. At some point I need to let this stuff go.)

I am sure that our landlord would let us paint, but I almost hate to put that kind of money into something that we can't take with us. Maybe I should see if they would let us take the cost of the paint out of our rent? I do agree that a new paint job would do wonders for this house.

At Lowe's they sometimes have mis-tints that they sell for cheap. Sometimes $8 a gallon. At our store they are located behind the paint counter. I've heard that Sherwin Williams does the same but you have to ask for it.

At Lowe's they sometimes have mis-tints that they sell for cheap. Sometimes $8 a gallon. At our store they are located behind the paint counter. I've heard that Sherwin Williams does the same but you have to ask for it.

I will look into that, thanks!

Any other suggestions for how I can give our rental home a bit of a face lift? Ideas on window treatments, something for the walls, kitchen decorations, etc. on a budget would be great. I would also love some frugal decorating blogs to peruse.

Put some cheerful art on the walls. Big poster prints from Michael's or Hobby Lobby...not expensive but fun. Photos of your children and pets would be good, too. Got a big colorful quilt you could hang on one wall?

I'm big on throw pillows. A couple of fun, colorful pillows brightens the entire room for me. Pier One has some to drool over. I love finding a sale. Last year before I started chemo I found some at a local grocery store for 10 dollars each. I've cuddled with those a lot.

Do you have a fireplace mantel? If so, do what you can to make that area look pretty--it's a good place to be seasonal with decor. I have fake pumpkins and leaves with a rustic birdhouse and a bronzy candle lantern on mine right now. I've collected it all over the years and it makes me smile when I look at it. If you don't have a mantle, pick one wall or corner to be your focal point. The big point is to decorate a small area.

From time to time buy yourself some fresh flowers at the grocery store. You can keep it all together or separate the blooms into two or three bouquets.

Keep the lights on bright, the window blinds open for sunlight, and turn on some happy music!

Hang in there. Been there...this too shall pass.

What do you have in your house that you like? Is there a room that you are pleased with?

It's almost impossible to redo an entire place on a budget but redoing a room on a budget is pretty simple.

First, check with your landlord and ask about painting. Even a light neutral can make a huge difference in bringing a place to life.

Second, do you have pictures/art that you can hang? Choose what you love, get photos printed and enlarged. Check yard sales, Goodwill, thrift stores, etc. for frames. Spray paint them all the same color and group them together. If you pick a color you love for the frames and print the pictures in black and white you'll create a wall that will draw attention and make you smile for very few $$.

After that, think about where you can add a pop of color to draw from the frames. Maybe a throw pillow, a blanket, a vase, or a plant. Take your coffee table cover the top with foam and then use a staple gun to secure fabric over the foam and the top.

It's already been mentioned, but I have found beautiful, like new large sheets at Goodwill. Not only would they make simple table cloths, but they can be draped over curtain rods to cover windows with a splash of flowers, stripes, or solid color. Not much invested but will help add a lot of interest to your rooms. You might also find pretty framed pictures there.

I'm no good for decorating advice, though I know exactly how hard it is to be somewhere that seems or feels dreary, whatever the reason.

My only suggestions are joining your local freecycle group(s), and "shopping" thrift stores and even Craigslist for lower cost amenities. If you've got an active freecycle group, you'll likely find that people give away lots of things, including paint.

Also, as I think someone else may already have mentioned, perhaps your landlord will pay (let you deduct the cost from your rent) for the paint if you offer to do the painting. I'd get that agreement in writing, though.