Menu

Going back to PS

Hello Hive mind I would love to get some answers to my questions because this is truly nagging me. I have decided with my mom that I would like to go back to PS this Jan and was wondering if anybody has had any exprience with doing such a thing? I have will have taken 12 credicts with keystone by Jan plus my 10 other homeschooled credits. I have taken the PSAT, 3 AP Exams and kept 1 AP Score a 4 and will be taking the SAT in Dec which I think I will get 2000-2200 without studying for it( I will thats just my raw score :D). I might also be taking the ACT in Dec. These are how my credits are distributed.

9th (keystone)

AP World 3 on exam

Honors Bio

Geometry

Honors English 1

Spanish 2

Digital Media

P.E.

10th (keystone)

AP Euro cancelled score

AP Lang 4 on exam

AP Chem

AP Enviro

Spanish 3

Algebra 2

P.E. (Homeschooled)

11th

AP US His (homeschooled)

AP US Gov (homeschooled)

AP English Lit (homeshooled)

Marine Bio (homeschooled)

Physics (homeschooled)

French 1 (homeschooled)

Now the reason I homeschooled my 11th grade courses is because keystone does not allow you to pay for half and AP Course so I would have had to pay 700 dollars per course when I was only going to use 300 dollars worth. I did not have time to get my AP Course syllabus approved my college board but I am following the syllabus posted by florida schools and I have kept insanely detailed records of EVERYTHING including keystone work. I have binders with every scarp of paper I have used for my 11 th grade studies and I am well versed in everything except maybe some history dates but I am better at understanding trends so I have trouble with dates.The district I will be returning to was the last one I attended and during my time there I was in the gifted program. The one were they test your IQ. My question is how easy do you think this transition will be I am very very nervous to do this and dont want anything to go wrong.

I AM TYPING THIS ON MY PHONE SO PLEASE EXCUSE MISTAKES :)

They will most likely accept all your keystone credits, but may accept none of the home school credits (despite your meticulous records!). So you may have to lose a year, and be a junior. If the district knows you, it's possible they will make an exception, but there is no way to know without contacting the school. I'd do it now, so if you can't transfer (or they won't transfer enough to reflect your real achievements), you can just plow ahead on your own and start college!

Hello Hive mind I would love to get some answers to my questions because this is truly nagging me. I have decided with my mom that I would like to go back to PS this Jan and was wondering if anybody has had any exprience with doing such a thing? I have will have taken 12 credicts with keystone by Jan plus my 10 other homeschooled credits. I have taken the PSAT, 3 AP Exams and kept 1 AP Score a 4 and will be taking the SAT in Dec which I think I will get 2000-2200 without studying for it( I will thats just my raw score :D). I might also be taking the ACT in Dec. These are how my credits are distributed.

9th (keystone)

AP World 3 on exam

Honors Bio

Geometry

Honors English 1

Spanish 2

Digital Media

P.E.

10th (keystone)

AP Euro cancelled score

AP Lang 4 on exam

AP Chem

AP Enviro

Spanish 3

Algebra 2

P.E. (Homeschooled)

11th

AP US His (homeschooled)

AP US Gov (homeschooled)

AP English Lit (homeshooled)

Marine Bio (homeschooled)

Physics (homeschooled)

French 1 (homeschooled)

Now the reason I homeschooled my 11th grade courses is because keystone does not allow you to pay for half and AP Course so I would have had to pay 700 dollars per course when I was only going to use 300 dollars worth. I did not have time to get my AP Course syllabus approved my college board but I am following the syllabus posted by florida schools and I have kept insanely detailed records of EVERYTHING including keystone work. I have binders with every scarp of paper I have used for my 11 th grade studies and I am well versed in everything except maybe some history dates but I am better at understanding trends so I have trouble with dates.The district I will be returning to was the last one I attended and during my time there I was in the gifted program. The one were they test your IQ. My question is how easy do you think this transition will be I am very very nervous to do this and dont want anything to go wrong.

I AM TYPING THIS ON MY PHONE SO PLEASE EXCUSE MISTAKES :)

I think that anything you get from afar will be speculation based on the situations where we live, not necessarily helpful guidance for your district.

My best advice is to look up the policies online for your district (search for transfer students as well as homeschoolers). Then make an appointment to meet with the counselor for transfer students. Ask a lot of questions about what you could do to verify the credits you did at home. Ask about summer school and online course options (some of the districts near me have virtual school options that allow students to overload or get credits for courses the school doesn't offer).

After the meeting, you can come back with what they said and get more suggestions.

You might take in a little of your paperwork, but I wouldn't expect the first meeting to be the one that approves your credits. It's possible that you will need to meet with someone from each department or be given provisional status at a lower grade pending passing department or state tests.

For the way we've homeschooled, mine would be tested and might place into honors sections, but they'd be freshmen terms of credits. Once we started high school here, I determined to never look back. From what I hear, they care more about "who" you did the class with (i.e. recognized school) versus "what" you actually did. I know several who took portfolios and outside scores, and it didn't make a difference.

They do allow part-time enrollment though, and I know several who take one class on-campus and then do another online through the state virtual school, paying about $100/class. Is a hybrid like that available for you?

I think that anything you get from afar will be speculation based on the situations where we live, not necessarily helpful guidance for your district.

My best advice is to look up the policies online for your district (search for transfer students as well as homeschoolers). Then make an appointment to meet with the counselor for transfer students. Ask a lot of questions about what you could do to verify the credits you did at home. Ask about summer school and online course options (some of the districts near me have virtual school options that allow students to overload or get credits for courses the school doesn't offer).

After the meeting, you can come back with what they said and get more suggestions.

You might take in a little of your paperwork, but I wouldn't expect the first meeting to be the one that approves your credits. It's possible that you will need to meet with someone from each department or be given provisional status at a lower grade pending passing department or state tests.

:iagree:

Here, you would get all your credits although the classes you are half way though this year might be more trouble. That really doesn't matter though. What matters is what will happen at your school district. Call or email the counselor and test the waters. Take it one step at a time. There is no point in wondering, just start asking the right people :)

Best wishes.

Below are questions it might be helpful to ask. Since you are considering this route for the AP class/test, you especially would want to know what AP classes will be offered while you are attending, whether or not as a you will be eligible to take it (transfer students may not be eligible), and how sure of a likelihood is it there will be room in the class for you.

Also, if you find that this school is very restrictive, and if you are willing to drive farther to go to a high school in a different school district or county (as long as there are no regulations that force you to attend the school in the district in which you live) -- some school districts are more open about transfer students than others, so that may be worth checking in to if the school you speak with is very restrictive.

Hopefully others reading this thread and who have walked this road before you will add good questions for you to ask! BEST of luck, whatever route you take to complete your high school education! Warmest regards, Lori D.

- What are your policies for transfer students?

- How many of my credits would be accepted by this school?

- Would I be required to take tests for each course to determine whether you will award credit or not?

- What is your AP class and test schedule?

- Would my status as a transfer student still allow me to be eligible to take AP classes/tests at this school?

- And will there be a guaranteed opening for me in that class?

- What about the possibility of taking just a single class for credit at the high school to add to my home school transcript?

Florida law now says that they MUST accept your homeschool transcript credits as presented. Then, if your actual performance in their school validates your credits and grades, your credits become permanent. (If your actual performance is below what you have represented, they can then adjust as they deem appropriate.)

I enrolled dd17 this fall for her senior year. They tried to convince me to present all of her work so they could "decide" what grade to put her in, but as soon as I quoted the law to them, they backed right down and took our credits. And were very nice and helpful. : )

Entering in January for your senior year, though, doesn't really give them a chance to evaluate your work, so not sure how this would work for you. I'd suggest contacting Brenda Dickinson of the Home Education Foundation; she knows this new law very well.

Wendy