Menu

A friend wants to homeschool

In my community, a lot of moms are telling me they want to pull their kids from public school and begin homeschooling them for middle school. These are kids who've been in public school or private religious school from preschool through 5th grade. They see me starting my 3rd year and are coming around asking for advice and 'how to do it'. In the same breath, they're expressing their insecurity as far as being able to 'teach' their children, to be organized, and to get a cooperative kid. All they really know about homeschooling is K-12 or the state virtual academy (WAVA). Many moms are trying to get a group of kids in the same grade to be on WAVA or K-12 and rent a room and hire a tutor to do the work with them. They're actually trying to replicate a school while wanting to 'take their kids there' while a tutor does the virtual academy work with their kids.

That was the background info. My question is: what do I tell them??? There is sooo much to homeschooling. It is a way of life, a concept, a relationship. While I don't expect them to do it my way, they're asking me to hold their hands and tell them what to do. I got one friend to get The Well Trained Mind. Another friend is coming over Thursday to get information on it. She told me she is like a blank slate and would love to know how I do it. I told her to read a lot on it and to find TWTM and read it too.

More than 2 or 3 moms have had the idea to round up 4 or 5 of our kids of the same grade level and have a daily class with them while they each to WAVA. I started to explain that one reason I homeschool is to be at home and not be driving around taking kids here and there. Plus, even if one kid is in a group with others, I still have 2 other kids I need to homeschool.

Any advice? Should just guide them to the books and leave it at that? Or should I take them to my school room and show them what curriculum looks like, tell them why I've changed math curricula, tell about the 4 year cycle?

Just looking for a little help.

I think you encourage them to make informed decisions for their own families. Encourage them to *really* nail down their own reasons for HSing, and then maybe you can point them in more specific directions.

The joint effort with the online schools is an interesting idea. It might be a great thing for those families.

It is kind of you to show people what you do, but don't put pressure on them to do as you do. Expose them to other ways of HSing also. TWTM might really fit your family, but a family just pulling their older kids out of PS has different needs.

I have had new homeschoolers over to my home and gone over curriculum, schedules, how I do things, etc. For those that are really interested it seems to have been helpful to see how homeschooling really works, at least for my family. I am careful to let them know that these are the things that, through trial and error, I have found that work for me, and that their mileage may vary. So if you are willing to do that and a family is interested, I think it is great.

I also think that those whose whole homeschool experience equals state-led virtual schools do not have an accurate picture for all that homeschooling can be. I'm not knocking those who choose to do so, but if all a person knows is completing the state's curriculum on the state's timetable by the state's rules and thinks that encompasses all of homeschooling, having never seen the wide variety of curricula and materials out there and the flexibility they offer, I think that person is missing out. Your willingness to open your home and be a homeschooling "ambassador" of sorts is to be commended.

They may need to check the rules of specific virtual schools. The one we used in PA for a short time required a guardian signing up to be the primary "learning coach". Learning coaches had to speak to the virtual teacher(s) once a week or so to discuss the students and their work.

I don't think sending kids to a tutor would meet those requirements.

There are many different ways to homeschool. What you're describing isn't a whole lot different from the way some homeschool co-ops run. If having their kids together (socialization) with a real-life tutor (accountability) in one room suits their needs, there's nothing wrong with that. They may loosen up their expectations as they go along.

Many moms are trying to get a group of kids in the same grade to be on WAVA or K-12 and rent a room and hire a tutor to do the work with them. They're actually trying to replicate a school while wanting to 'take their kids there' while a tutor does the virtual academy work with their kids.

I actually know a group that did this. The kids weren't even all on the same level. Here in CA (this was a while ago)you can assign someone else as point of contact (or some similar term, I forget). Even if you can't it could work, just the "tutor" could inform the parents every evening via a note/log so they would know what is going on, in case the school asks. I think they had 6-8 kids per "leader".They worked independently, but the leader just made sure day's work was completed and monitored lunches/breaks. Kids loved it, because as long as all work was completed, they had no homework.

As far as helping other moms, I agree you can only show what you do and it may not work for them. I WOULD tell them what is required in your state, and show them the options in your state (whether portfolio, testing etc.) Coming from a state with basically no requirements, I know the word "portfolio" is kinda intimidating.

As far as what they choose, that is really up to how comfortable they are with teaching. Do they have littles under foot? That would make it harder the 1st year. Other kids in public/private school? Schedules could get complicated. Many of my friends are not native English speakers and do not want/are not comfortable teaching "English/Language Arts" even from a book, hence they use these options. Some can, but do not want to be as "hands on" as I am (read alouds, projects, art). They want an assign and go curriculum, which could work for older kids. And some classes can be outsourced (maybe art, pe, science? depends on your area).

I agree that nailing down why they want to homeschooling is an important first step to deciding how to homeschool. Here's what I give people who are considering homeschooling. Don't do their homework for them or hold their hands.

Analyzing Your Education

1. List/discuss the parts of your education that were useful and/or important to preparing your for life as an adult.

2. List/discuss the parts if your education that were not useful and/or important to preparing your for life as an adult.

3. List/discuss anything you think should have been included in your education to prepare you for life as an adult, but was not.

4. List/discuss the parts of your education that were detrimental to preparing your for life as an adult.

5. Summarize what you think an ideal education is that prepares a child for life as an adult.

Eight Different Approaches to Education in the Homeschool Community

Most homeschoolers use a combination of two or more of these approaches. Homeschooling is inherently flexible, so these approaches can be adapted and modified in any way the parent chooses. This is a bird's eye view making very broad generalizations. Popular curricula, websites, and authors detailing these approaches are listed. Let me know of others and I will gladly add them to the lists.

===Traditional School Approach ===

Typically uses prepackaged curriculum with a Scope and Sequence educational philosophy. Their daily and yearly schedules usually follow the 6 hour days of institutional settings and a 180 day school year with the summer off, but many allow their children to work at their own pace and finish early. Grading systems like those used in traditional school settings are the norm and aged grades mimic schools. Textbooks and workbooks are their primary texts. Fill in the blank and multiple choice answers are characteristic of this crowd. Children are generally taught the same information around the same age and proceed along the same path, although some may do so faster or slower.

Think institutional school.

Abeka

BJU

Alpha Omega

Apologia

Christian Liberty Press

ACE PACEs

=== Unschooling Approaches A and B===

This is a broad term that applies to two distinct groups.

Group A

Generally believes children are wired for learning, and their job as teachers is to avoid interfering with the learning process. Their job is also to provide access to learning (books, lab equipment, etc.) guided by the child’s interests. They do not necessarily think children need to be “taught†outside of answering a child's questions. Real life, hands-on projects and applied learning experiences are strongly preferred to other methods of instruction. Some will allow children to take classes of interest in an institutional setting-usually college.

Think Thomas Edison and John Holt.

Christian Unschooling (website)

Learning without Schooling Magazine

John Holt’s Books

Free Child Project (lots of links and resources)

Group B

These parents design every learning experience to answer the question, “When am I going to use this in real life?†by actually using almost exclusively real life, hands on, applied situations and projects. Only the real world here. They tend to be systematic and adult directed but are very careful to take additional time to follow a child’s interests some too.

No known packaged curriculum, websites, or magazines that address only this approach to homeschooling.

===Unit Study Approach ===

Typically these people integrate studies based on an era, historical event, person, character trait, technological development, or historical person. For example, if the Depression is the core of the unit study, Math (if possible), Literature, Science (if possible), History, Economics, and Writing will hinge on different elements of the Great Depression. This gives the student a multidimensional understanding. Each child in the family is given different assignments based on ability, but all study the same core theme.

Learning through History Magazine

Konos

Let the Author’s Speak

Timetables of History

===Living Books Approach ===

Only the best literature and writings on each subject are used. Think of it this way, instead of reading from a distilled over simplified textbook on the Civil War, these parents have their students read several of the books about the Civil War that an author of a textbook would read preparing to write the textbook. Now, think of doing that for Science, History, Economics, Literature, Art, etc. This crowd is also known for

nature studies, narration, and dictation.

Charlotte Mason

Karen Andreola

My Father’s World

Sonlight

Greenleaf Press

Let The Author’s Speak

Robinson’s Curriculum

===Classical Education===

Classical education has at least three distinct camps. They can be integrated as much as the parent prefers. They all have a strong preference for first source materials and use primarily Western Classics (Also called the Western Canon, or the Common Book of the Western World.) Some can include the study of "dead" languages (Hebrew, Classical or Biblical Greek, and Latin) although some are content with good English translations of Classic works while others opt for studies of Latin and Greek Roots in English.

Group A

Characterized by the Trivium. The 3 stages have many terms:

• Stage 1 Grammar (facts)
  • Stage 2 Logic (cause and effect) All stages of formal Logic inductive, deductive, material, etc.
  • Stage 3 Rhetoric (application and persuasion) Formal argumentation is studied.

Formal Logic and Rhetoric are studied specifically. History is usually studied chronologically. Logic is studied formally, and Science is studied with experimentation, biographies, and original writings of the greatest minds. Classic works from masters throughout Western Civilization in all eras are studied. Some integrate History, Geography, Science and Literature into a more unit study approach.

Think Dorothy Sayers.

Tapestry of Grace

Classical Conversations

Memoria Press

Veritas Press

Teaching the Trivium

The Well Trained Mind

Latin Centered Curriculum

Group B

Characterized by the Mentor Model and sometimes called a "Statesmen" education. Morals, virtue, and character are emphasized above all.

• In the early years children are allowed to follow their interests and learn good moral character while developing a strong work ethic.
  • The middle years are when the parent begins inspiring students by reading classic works by the best minds on the subjects and entering into apprenticeship situations with masters of certain skills.
  • The later years the students are mentored in apprenticeships in entrepreneurial situations for their future leadership roles and professional pursuits.

Think Thomas Jefferson.

A Thomas Jefferson education by DeMille

A Thomas Jefferson Companion

Group C

Also known as the Principle Approach. This is a method often attributed to how many of the Founders were educated.

• Research the topic by looking up ideas

a. first source materials (original writings, documents, autobiographies, first hand historical accounts, etc.)

b. look up terms in dictionary (keeping in mind dictionaries that are specific to the era)

c. look up terms in your sacred writings or other sources related to your beliefs (Christians-Bible)

• Reason through the material looking for the underlying principles.

• Relate the information you have found through research and reason and apply it to your life.

• Record your findings in a logical, systematic, and persuasive format.

Think James Madison.

This is our 8th year of homeschooling, so this has happened to me a lot over the years. I always start by asking them why they want to homeschool and what they want their homeschool to look like. From there, I will tell them about a few different approaches I think they'll be interested in along with how we do it. If they're interested, I'll give them a few catalogs (I usually have quite a few older ones lying around) and recommend a few websites. I usually recommend they read WTM but not always. It's just not for everyone though I do believe there are parts of it that everyone can benefit from.

I have found that just being a sounding board and listening is the best thing to do. Let them look at your homeschool stuff. Be honest. Be gentle. Tell them to go easy on themselves the first year. And most importantly, don't be offended if they totally disregard everything you say and do something totally different. LOL!!!!

I agree that nailing down why they want to homeschooling is an important first step to deciding how to homeschool. Here's what I give people who are considering homeschooling. Don't do their homework for them or hold their hands.

Analyzing Your Education

1. List/discuss the parts of your education that were useful and/or important to preparing your for life as an adult.

2. List/discuss the parts if your education that were not useful and/or important to preparing your for life as an adult.

3. List/discuss anything you think should have been included in your education to prepare you for life as an adult, but was not.

4. List/discuss the parts of your education that were detrimental to preparing your for life as an adult.

5. Summarize what you think an ideal education is that prepares a child for life as an adult.

Eight Different Approaches to Education in the Homeschool Community

Most homeschoolers use a combination of two or more of these approaches. Homeschooling is inherently flexible, so these approaches can be adapted and modified in any way the parent chooses. This is a bird's eye view making very broad generalizations. Popular curricula, websites, and authors detailing these approaches are listed. Let me know of others and I will gladly add them to the lists.

===Traditional School Approach ===

Typically uses prepackaged curriculum with a Scope and Sequence educational philosophy. Their daily and yearly schedules usually follow the 6 hour days of institutional settings and a 180 day school year with the summer off, but many allow their children to work at their own pace and finish early. Grading systems like those used in traditional school settings are the norm and aged grades mimic schools. Textbooks and workbooks are their primary texts. Fill in the blank and multiple choice answers are characteristic of this crowd. Children are generally taught the same information around the same age and proceed along the same path, although some may do so faster or slower.

Think institutional school.

Abeka

BJU

Alpha Omega

Apologia

Christian Liberty Press

ACE PACEs

=== Unschooling Approaches A and B===

This is a broad term that applies to two distinct groups.

Group A

Generally believes children are wired for learning, and their job as teachers is to avoid interfering with the learning process. Their job is also to provide access to learning (books, lab equipment, etc.) guided by the child’s interests. They do not necessarily think children need to be “taught†outside of answering a child's questions. Real life, hands-on projects and applied learning experiences are strongly preferred to other methods of instruction. Some will allow children to take classes of interest in an institutional setting-usually college.

Think Thomas Edison and John Holt.

Christian Unschooling (website)

Learning without Schooling Magazine

John Holt’s Books

Free Child Project (lots of links and resources)

Group B

These parents design every learning experience to answer the question, “When am I going to use this in real life?†by actually using almost exclusively real life, hands on, applied situations and projects. Only the real world here. They tend to be systematic and adult directed but are very careful to take additional time to follow a child’s interests some too.

No known packaged curriculum, websites, or magazines that address only this approach to homeschooling.

===Unit Study Approach ===

Typically these people integrate studies based on an era, historical event, person, character trait, technological development, or historical person. For example, if the Depression is the core of the unit study, Math (if possible), Literature, Science (if possible), History, Economics, and Writing will hinge on different elements of the Great Depression. This gives the student a multidimensional understanding. Each child in the family is given different assignments based on ability, but all study the same core theme.

Learning through History Magazine

Konos

Let the Author’s Speak

Timetables of History

===Living Books Approach ===

Only the best literature and writings on each subject are used. Think of it this way, instead of reading from a distilled over simplified textbook on the Civil War, these parents have their students read several of the books about the Civil War that an author of a textbook would read preparing to write the textbook. Now, think of doing that for Science, History, Economics, Literature, Art, etc. This crowd is also known for

nature studies, narration, and dictation.

Charlotte Mason

Karen Andreola

My Father’s World

Sonlight

Greenleaf Press

Let The Author’s Speak

Robinson’s Curriculum

===Classical Education===

Classical education has at least three distinct camps. They can be integrated as much as the parent prefers. They all have a strong preference for first source materials and use primarily Western Classics (Also called the Western Canon, or the Common Book of the Western World.) Some can include the study of "dead" languages (Hebrew, Classical or Biblical Greek, and Latin) although some are content with good English translations of Classic works while others opt for studies of Latin and Greek Roots in English.

Group A

Characterized by the Trivium. The 3 stages have many terms:

• Stage 1 Grammar (facts)
  • Stage 2 Logic (cause and effect) All stages of formal Logic inductive, deductive, material, etc.
  • Stage 3 Rhetoric (application and persuasion) Formal argumentation is studied.

Formal Logic and Rhetoric are studied specifically. History is usually studied chronologically. Logic is studied formally, and Science is studied with experimentation, biographies, and original writings of the greatest minds. Classic works from masters throughout Western Civilization in all eras are studied. Some integrate History, Geography, Science and Literature into a more unit study approach.

Think Dorothy Sayers.

Tapestry of Grace

Classical Conversations

Memoria Press

Veritas Press

Teaching the Trivium

The Well Trained Mind

Latin Centered Curriculum

Group B

Characterized by the Mentor Model and sometimes called a "Statesmen" education. Morals, virtue, and character are emphasized above all.

• In the early years children are allowed to follow their interests and learn good moral character while developing a strong work ethic.
  • The middle years are when the parent begins inspiring students by reading classic works by the best minds on the subjects and entering into apprenticeship situations with masters of certain skills.
  • The later years the students are mentored in apprenticeships in entrepreneurial situations for their future leadership roles and professional pursuits.

Think Thomas Jefferson.

A Thomas Jefferson education by DeMille

A Thomas Jefferson Companion

Group C

Also known as the Principle Approach. This is a method often attributed to how many of the Founders were educated.

• Research the topic by looking up ideas

a. first source materials (original writings, documents, autobiographies, first hand historical accounts, etc.)

b. look up terms in dictionary (keeping in mind dictionaries that are specific to the era)

c. look up terms in your sacred writings or other sources related to your beliefs (Christians-Bible)

• Reason through the material looking for the underlying principles.

• Relate the information you have found through research and reason and apply it to your life.

• Record your findings in a logical, systematic, and persuasive format.

Think James Madison.

I love this list! Thank you!

You're welcome. I've been doing mini seminars in my house using this and I hope to be doing a workshop at the AZ Homeschool Convention in a couple of years.

I'm completely serious about listening contributions from other homeschoolers about adding to or modifying what I've come up with. This is the third incarnation. Do I put Living Books in Classical or not? So many homeschoolers marry it to a form of Classical Education but it can go in a very Waldorf or unschooling direction if parents so chose. Thoughts anyone? Additions to the approaches, curriculum, or website lists?

I've also been kicking around the idea of drawing some Venn diagrams showing common hybrids in the HS community. I always tell people (only if they ask and never during a mini seminar) I homeschool where Charlotte Mason and The Well Trained Mind meet in a Venn diagram.

I also have this one about primary motivations. I get very different reactions to it. People who don't have a primary motivation don't really respond well to it but people who have one usually do. Thoughts anyone?

Three Homeschooling Mind Sets

The homeschooling community is made of a wide range of people with different motivations, faiths, and philosophies. It can be useful to understand the different mindsets when interacting with such a broad group of people. These descriptions are general and only touch on the primary motivations of homeschoolers. Most individual homeschoolers have a longer list of reasons for choosing to homeschool. All three mindsets are present in today’s homeschool community.

Pioneers (First Wave Homeschoolers)

In the early 1980s, before the public schools were generally viewed as performing poorly and safety was not generally an issue, two groups of people emerged creating the modern homeschooling movement.

The first were largely Fundamentalist Christians who wanted what they called a “Christ-Centered Education.†Their goal was to integrate family relationships, life skills, academics, and religious training in equal proportions into the education of their children. They believed that God had a particular plan for each child’s life, and it was the job of parents to educate and train their children as individuals for those purposes. Some of them took Deuteronomy 6 as the God given model for education, believing that education was the role of parents-not government.

Many looked back at the great men who founded the country and their wives and decided that tutorial education, the norm through much of American and world history, was a better model than the current mass production education offered by institutions. The founders also believed moral training was an essential part of education. Homeschooling fit the bill perfectly.

Meanwhile another group of mostly secular parents, many inspired by John Holt’s writings, decided to keep their children at home and customize an education to suit their particular talents, needs and interests. They believed that real life and school should be integrated to give a greater understanding of the world. Children were viewed as individuals who needed an individualized education. They tended to believe that the family structure was the most natural learning environment. This wasn't possible in a classroom so they homeschooled.

Both groups had different motivations, but some of their methodology was strikingly similar. They practice tutorial style education with the flexibility that comes with customization. Apprenticeships, life experiences, and high quality academics are common between them. Neither group likes the standard scope and sequence approach that is characteristic of institutional settings. In general they share the conviction that institutional settings are bad for children, so of course, homeschooling is the only acceptable option to meet their goals.

These two groups were primarily responsible for the court battles necessary to make homeschooling a legally recognized option in each state. They currently fight to deregulate homeschooling nationwide and press parental rights issues.

Settlers (Second Wave Homeschoolers)

In the early 1990s several studies on academic performance revealed that homeschoolers were outperforming their peers in both the public and private sectors. A group of parents took notice because academic performance was their number one priority. They began homeschooling their children and enjoyed the flexible lifestyle.

The do not have convictions that institutional settings are categorically bad for children, and many can afford private/religious education, but their children are thriving in the homeschooling environment. This group has a large mix of very religious and non-religious people, and everyone in between.

Settlers are primarily responsible for taking homeschooling into the mainstream.

Refugees (Third Wave Homeschoolers)

By the late 1990s and after the turn of the new millennium, public schools were getting bad press- specifically about negative social issues and poor academic performance. The floodgates of homeschooling opened and a new group of parents poured into the homeschool community.

Many of them realized that their children did not do well in a one-size-fits-all environment. Some of their children needed a faster or slower pace, more challenging content, more individual attention for learning challenges, a richer curriculum, more time for extra-curricular activities, more family time, different teaching methods, etc. Some decided that the social norms in public school were detrimental to their children.

They are fleeing. They do not like the charter schools and/or cannot afford a private/religious institutional setting, so until their children are ready for a mass production learning environment or until the schools show dramatic improvements, they homeschool.

They are responsible for fueling school choice debates.