Menu

My washer is possibly nearing the end of it's life span. Any recommendations?

It's a Kenmore front loader (made by Whirlpool) and is giving me error code F28. It sounds like either a computer issue or the motor.

I'll put in a call to the guy who fixed it last time and see what he says, but I don't have a good feeling about fixing it again. It's not that great of a machine. Computer or motor issues sound expensive for a machine I have been hating.

So, call me crazy, but I'm thinking of going with a more compact machine. My laundry room is really small. It would be really nice to get a compact stacking set or even just machines that are smaller side by side.

There is one family member who would have to change her laundry habits a bit, but we could adjust easily to smaller loads. Everyone has their own hamper now. I've never been the sort to try and do all the laundry in one day. I'm also not a laundry avoider. (I avoid folding it, but not washing--that part's easy! :lol:)

I'm impressed by reviews for the smaller front loaders as they seem to do a better job getting clothes clean. The only thing holding me back is there seems to be no such thing as a compact gas dryer. I really want to keep using gas. Our first dryer was electric, and the gas one is so much cheaper to run here.

Thanks. It looks really nice, and would fit right in with my present dryer (until it dies).

I'm just tired of appliances. Maybe I'll just get a big ol' washtub. :tongue_smilie:

I wonder what a nice commercial set costs? Laundromats wouldn't put up with machines that need to be replaced every five years or so. Why does everyone else have to. :glare:

Honestly, look at getting a used older machine. Older washers and dryers were built to last with far less plastic breakable parts. I've never spent more than $75 for a washer.. The last one cost me $20. It's going strong five years later. The $75 was from a used appliance place with a warranty.

Thanks. It looks really nice, and would fit right in with my present dryer (until it dies).

I'm just tired of appliances. Maybe I'll just get a big ol' washtub. :tongue_smilie:

I wonder what a nice commercial set costs? Laundromats wouldn't put up with machines that need to be replaced every five years or so. Why does everyone else have to. :glare:

I have a Speed Queen top loader. No error codes. No electronics. 3 year warranty. They make commercial machines for laundromats. They make front loaders too.

I have a Speed Queen top loader. No error codes. No electronics. 3 year warranty. They make commercial machines for laundromats. They make front loaders too.

Speed Queen! Off to google...

I think I remember that name from my last laundromat visit last summer when the dang thing died in the middle of our kitchen remodel.

Oooohhh... stacking units! That's more like it. A nice square boring machine that weighs a ton and won't break down.

Honestly, look at getting a used older machine. Older washers and dryers were built to last with far less plastic breakable parts. I've never spent more than $75 for a washer.. The last one cost me $20. It's going strong five years later. The $75 was from a used appliance place with a warranty.

For various reasons, getting used would be difficult right now. (No truck, no one to move it, dh working 7 days a week etc.). I'm checking ads in the next paper though.

I love our Fisher & Paykel top loading washer and front loading dryer. Huge capacity, but not huge in size. Cleans/dries well, water efficient, gas dryer. They cost about half what you'd pay for efficient front loaders.

We've had very few problems with them. Once ds loaded the washer with jeans and the drum got off kilter. Dh just opened the front, found a part that had bent a little, bent it back, and it's been fine since (that was about 4 years ago.) Our dryer has been squeaking and rattling lately so dh took off the front of it and found the broken part. We ordered a replacement part/kit from Amazon for less than $25. (Fwiw, repairs on these machines are rare but pretty easy to find and fix yourself if needed. Dh is NOT a mechanic or repair person :D.)

Well, the appliance guy comes Monday. It *might* be worth one more fix. He is not an informative guy on the phone, but I know him to be honest and efficient from past experience (with the same washer. :glare:)

Weird family dysfunction story: I actually bought this set almost six years ago when my dryer broke. At the time I had a Maytag Neptune which I loved. I gave it to my sister, and it is still in her basement being stored. She has (sincerely) offered it back to me twice. Second time was today.

So why don't I just take this machine? Last time I even considered it, my mom acted like me taking back this machine meant that SHE (my mom) was giving me a washer!! Bizarre!

I guess since when I mentioned I wouldn't be keeping it, she called my sister and sees it now as hers. According to her I was going to throw it out (ummm... NO!) She is so weird. Usually her idiosyncrasies are kind of funny, but this one kinda ticks me off. :glare:

That, and the Neptune is no spring chicken and if I did manage to somehow get it back in my house, we'd no sooner get it hooked up and it would probably break too. :tongue_smilie: