Menu

Zinc doesn't seem to be working for me?!

I have been taking zinc picolinate for more than 2 weeks now and I don't really notice much of a difference. The first week my acne cleared but I am still getting spots and I am so sick of it!! I don't see much results and I am considering upping the dosage to 75 - 100 mg and see if that works. The pills I used to take don't work anymore and I am becoming very frustrated. I used to know someone with severe acne that tok 100mg of zinc and their face went from bad to clear!!! Can I take 100mg or mqybe even 75mg of zinc and see how that goes? Please I really need advice!

sorry to bring you down, but it's not working for me either. the highest i've been willing to go is 75 mg and it has done nothing. i feel like i have like one day a month where i'm like "Wow! maybe it's gonna finally clear up". seriously. one. day. then, it's off to the races with a fresh crop. sick of it. just plain sick of it.

sorry you're in the same boat. i know it stinks.

It did not work for my daughter, either, so she tried the acne.org regimen. It is a pain--very regimented--but she followed it religiously and saw results within a few days. She has been on it for about a month, and there has probably been a 75% reduction in break-outs. She still has some redness and scarring from old breakouts, but the new ones are down significantly. We finally were able to get in to a dermatologist about a week ago. The dermatologist prescribed an antibiotic, which helped some as well, and a retin-A product that we have not had filled yet. But the acne.org program has been wonderful, and without the stomach upset that came with the zinc!

I think acne is one of those things for which different things work for different people, and it is a matter of finding the one that works for you.

Terri

I read it needs to be chelated zinc.

I do think that it takes 2-3 weeks to show good results...for the zinc to get into your system and start fighting what it needs to fight.

I also think that people get acne for different reasons. Zinc may help for SOME of those reasons, but for others, it may not. Food allergies and triggers come to mind. If zinc is not helping, I'd start looking at other issues. Dairy, gluten etc.

I do think that it takes 2-3 weeks to show good results...for the zinc to get into your system and start fighting what it needs to fight.

I also think that people get acne for different reasons. Zinc may help for SOME of those reasons, but for others, it may not. Food allergies and triggers come to mind. If zinc is not helping, I'd start looking at other issues. Dairy, gluten etc.

Thank you so much, I feel a bit better knowing that I may have a few more options to try out. My last question is do you take it with a meal or not? I have been taking it with a meal .

:iagree: For me, dairy is a big cause.

Thank you so much, I feel a bit better knowing that I may have a few more options to try out. My last question is do you take it with a meal or not? I have been taking it with a meal .

My daughter takes her zinc at breakfast, because when she took it in the evening (with dinner) it kept her awake.

She's been fortunate - it has really helped. BUT, we eat very little gluten and she doesn't drink milk (she does eat cheese) so that may contribute to it, too.

My daughter takes her zinc at breakfast, because when she took it in the evening (with dinner) it kept her awake.

She's been fortunate - it has really helped. BUT, we eat very little gluten and she doesn't drink milk (she does eat cheese) so that may contribute to it, too.

May I ask how much she takes? And what kind?

It took about a month or more to help DH. Taking zinc and almost completely avoided fruit have helped his back acne about 80-90%. Before he tried zinc, for a few weeks he was eating a ton of fruit (mostly bananas) and his back was the worst it's ever been. Avoiding fruit plus taking zinc seems to be what he needs to do.