Menu

We're doing our first lapbook tomorrow.

And if they don't like it, I'm gonna string them up by their toes. I just spent the afternoon cutting stuff out and preparing. I really think they'll like it, but sometimes they just like to knock the wind out of my sails. Well, I know they aren't trying to, but...;)

Anyway, a few weeks ago my cousin sent each boy a flag he had flown in their honor over a former palace of Saddam Hussein that now houses the Multi-National Corps Iraq. He thought we might want to cover the meaning of the flag and the history in school (not bad thoughts from a 40 year old childless bachelor, huh?).

So we're doing an American flag lapbook (actually 5 of them) and will send him a thank you note and a copy of the lapbook when we're done.

I'm hoping that enough of the boys are old enough that we all enjoy this instead of getting frustrated.

You should have let them help you cut and fold.....:lol: That helps with their fine motor skills.....

If you ever do one on say pizza or castles.....they will have fun.....Let us know how it turns out.....:001_smile:

You should have let them help you cut and fold.....:lol: That helps with their fine motor skills.....

If you ever do one on say pizza or castles.....they will have fun.....Let us know how it turns out.....:001_smile:

You know, I did think about that. And 2 of them could really use the help with those skills. But having 5 boys armed with scissors (2 who like to cut hair when I blink) stressed me out a bit :001_huh:.

You're not doing it all in one day, are you?

Um...no? 3d-paranoid.gif

How long do these things take, anyway? I'd planned to spend the morning on it. where-am-i.gif

Would seriously recommend against doing a (single) lapbook in one day. The kids (my guys anyway) tend to get cranky about it, and they LOVE lapbooks.

However, you said that you already did the cutting. (I did 1/2 -3/4 of it for them, not all of it.)

Still. . .

My advice would be to watch your kiddoes. You'll see when they are starting to "drain". STOP as soon as you catch that. I've noticed, if I do this that the kids are likely to ask to do it again if not later that day then certainly the next morning. Whereas, if I try to drive on through (because we only have a "few" mini-books left), the kids get terribly cranky and want nothing to do with the lapbook anymore.

Good luck and enjoy

Great project!! I would also say to break it up into more days if you need to so that they (and you) don't get burnt out on the first day. One fun thing about lapbooks is that you make them over time and each time you add something new, it is fun to look back at the old things that you already did.

Um...no? 3d-paranoid.gif

How long do these things take, anyway? I'd planned to spend the morning on it. where-am-i.gif

We have only completed one lapbook on Roman Numerals. It took us 4 hours from start to finish.

My girls did all of their own cutting and pasting. Since it was our first, we had a lot of mistakes that we needed to redo. But, my girls and I had a great time and they KNOW their Roman Numerals frontwards and backwards.

My take on Lapbooks is that they allow you to spend more time on a subject without the children zoning out on you.

Thanks for asking!

It's going really well. I thought for sure at least one boy would fuss about the idea but all four really love it. And I didn't lose my mind, so that's a good thing. I don't remember the last time I saw them all so excited over the same thing for school. Oh, and they're remembering what they're learning, too :D.

We worked for about 2 hours yesterday morning, another 1/2 hour in the afternoon, and I promised them we could finish when the baby goes down for his nap today. Ds6 tried to get me to feed them lunch at 10 this morning (ds2 always goes down for a nap right after lunch :lol:).

It has gone so well I'm determined to integrate more of them into our schooling. We'll be doing one for the Olympics, and then after that I'm thinking we'll do some for science (I'm thinking if I can find some based on Magic School Bus they'll be thrilled).

I'll try to get some pictures and post them on my blog when we're done.

I had to look this up to see what you were talking about! *blush* Is there a site that is recommended to help give ideas? I found a few, but would love any more info. I want to try these with my children this year!

Thanks!

~Holly

I hope you get some recommended sites! I knew about lapbooks from some friends but have never seen one in person. For this one, I just googled "free American flag lapbook" and got a hit. But I'd love to visit some recommended sites :).

I hope you get some recommended sites! I knew about lapbooks from some friends but have never seen one in person. For this one, I just googled "free American flag lapbook" and got a hit. But I'd love to visit some recommended sites :).

Here is a site I have used.

http://www.homeschoolhelperonline.com/index.htm

This is where I got the Roman Numeral Lapbook.

I had to look this up to see what you were talking about! *blush* Is there a site that is recommended to help give ideas? I found a few, but would love any more info. I want to try these with my children this year!

Thanks!

~Holly

Let's see. . .

Because I'm being lazy, I'm going to give names and not links.

You've been given:

Hands of a Child

and Homeschool Helper

Here are some more:

Tobin's Lab (I think they are the originator)

Homeschool in the Woods (I think) it's definately by Amy Pak

Live and Learn Press

Lapbooking on Squidoo

Dinah Zike has books for folding "mini-books".

If you go to Homeschoolestore (Curriclick) and type in lapbooks you'll find other companies

Melissa. . .nuts, can't recall her last name, has a terrific Very Hungry Caterpillar (for pre-schoolers - 1st grade). . . Lilliput station. She's wonderfully nice too, and helped me out with a small problem I had.

Some blogs have some. . .

There's a big company that starts with a "K" (knowledge box central, maybe?)

You know, I REALLY need to go through my homeschool bookmarks. I'm looking at a sad state of affairs here! I have things scattered all throughout. . .

ETA: ohh, oooh, Telling. It's Melissa Telling of Lilliput station.