Menu

Tick central

I pulled HUNDREDS off my dogs this summer.

We've had a few frosts yet dd12 pulled of TEN ticks from herself yesterday. She was outside for an hour. I'm not too worried right now because she just started her lymes treatment last week.

My friend's husband hunts. NH Fish and Game told him they are cutting WAY back on the number of moose being allowed to hunted because too many moose are dropping dead from being sucked dry by ticks.

It's scary!

I hear ya. We went for a walk a few weeks ago and DH came home with 25! YIKES! The rest of us only had 1 or 2; I had 7. Ick. He took the boys trick-or-treating Saturday (our neighborhood schedules it) and found one on himself when he got home. Walking through the neighborhood!!

Ours are because of the capybaras, and while we don't have lyme disease down here we do have (Rocky Mountain) Spotted Fever, which is bad in its own way.

I hate ticks.

I want a flock of them, and I want a peacock or two! I fear with the guineas we'll get a ton of roos.

Do they lay eggs? Where did you get yours?

We've had guineas. It doesn't matter if you get males or females; they're all incredibly loud. The female has a two-note honk, and the male a one-note honk, both at very high decible levels, and if they freak out they go on and on and on in concert. Yeah, your neighbors will hate you. But you won't have ticks!

We don't have any at the moment - they kept getting eaten by the local predators. Having fowl outside is like opening a buffet.

They do lay eggs, and you can eat them, but they are about half the size of chicken eggs.

My friend got some ducks she claims eats ticks that are quieter and better behaved than the guineas (they also sometimes refuse to go in their coop at night; it could take all five of us to herd them in), but I'm having a hard time thinking of ducks as big tick-eaters.

We've had guineas. It doesn't matter if you get males or females; they're all incredibly loud. The female has a two-note honk, and the male a one-note honk, both at very high decible levels, and if they freak out they go on and on and on in concert. Yeah, your neighbors will hate you. But you won't have ticks!

We don't have any at the moment - they kept getting eaten by the local predators. Having fowl outside is like opening a buffet.

They do lay eggs, and you can eat them, but they are about half the size of chicken eggs.

My friend got some ducks she claims eats ticks that are quieter and better behaved than the guineas (they also sometimes refuse to go in their coop at night; it could take all five of us to herd them in), but I'm having a hard time thinking of ducks as big tick-eaters.

Oh great. My neighbor has already harrassed us since the day we moved in.:glare: we didn't even have a farm then. still, half our family is diagnosed with Lymes so I don't care. I do hope we can get them enclosed st night. We all would have a hard time having them all eaten up. If I could train the puppies not to chase them, they could actually protect them.

Fish and Game fear moose will be extinct in our state due to ticks. :(

Edited by Denisemomof4

Denise, that's horrible! I wonder why they are so bad?

We live in the middle of the Rocky Mountains, very rural, and in 7 years have had ONE tick.

We have been in our house for 16 years. The ticks slowly get worse every season but since we had no snow last winter, ticks were awful, awful, awful. It is the one reason I would consider selling our house and moving, though dh's job keeps us tied to this area.