Menu

Anyone here live in West Virginia?

I am curious. Why is land so cheap, and housing? And why are taxes so cheap?

We are being strangled up here in New England and at some point we want to get out of here. I hear WV is a poor state? We would love to be out in the middle of nowhere. And what is it with this free natural gas?

Arnoldsberg was one area we saw. Lots of hunting areas. You can get a house with 90 acres for $119,000???????????????

What's the catch?

I am curious. Why is land so cheap, and housing? And why are taxes so cheap?

We are being strangled up here in New England and at some point we want to get out of here. I hear WV is a poor state? We would love to be out in the middle of nowhere. And what is it with this free natural gas?

Arnoldsberg was one area we saw. Lots of hunting areas. You can get a house with 90 acres for $119,000???????????????

What's the catch?

No white collar jobs. I grew up there. My family is there and part of me wishes we were, but there is no work for my husband. Sadly, it's said that WV's biggest export is its children. Also, there is very little to DO there. LOTS of outdoorsy things, but not a lot to keep the typical teen occupied and happy. This is why the whole town goes to high school football games.

I'd love to have a place back there now that I'm old and appreciate the quiet, but as a teen I could not WAIT to get out and felt it was the most boring place on earth.

My IL's lived near Greenbank for a time. Actually, a couple times. Once when they were young, then later when they retired. It's beautiful there but they were in the middle of nowhere. So much so that "town" was 1.5 hours away. Once the FedEx guy called to see if they'd be coming to town. If so they could drop by and pick up their letter and he wouldn't have to go out to them to deliver it. :tongue_smilie:

They didn't live there long, the second time. FIL was diagnosed with advanced cancer. The nearest medical facility was far enough away to be impractical to drive to regularly (winding, one-lane mountain roads) and they ended up getting an apartment closer in.

To the person who linked me the video, thank you.

WV has a very low property tax rate. Where do they make up the difference? In sales tax? Is there tax on clothing there?

What about weather. How much snow(if any) do they get?

My DH is in the contracting field. So I guess that would be considered blue collar?

We are tired of the high taxes, high cost of living,being strangled to death with regulations, where you can build, WHAT you can build, property taxes are outrageous, and the pay doesn't nearly cover what you need to live.

The houses we saw on even 5+ acres with a 4 bedroom house was under $150,000. Here, that house would be over $500,000 just because of the land alone.

An acre of land here is about $99,000 or more. And jobs are not all that plentiful here either, unless you want to drive 2 hours into a major city.