Menu

Tablet or for Online Learning?

I mentioned in another thread tha due to my rapidly declining health I need to add in more online learning to take some stress off of me. Right now I only own a laptop. DS struggles with the mouse and keys so I am looking at some type of tablet PC and I am overwhelmed. Does anyone know of a website that has an upto date comparison guide? Or suggestions? I am low income and will have to save up for several months as it is so please do not suggest anything expensive.

I have no interest in an iPad.

We have tablets for our 8 and 11 y/o children which they primarily use for reading. Though they could use them for other things and sometimes do. The best bang for the buck tablet out right now is the Google Nexus tablet.

However if money is really tight I would recommend a refurbished Nook Color for only $99. We have both the Nook Color and Nook Tablet which is a bit faster. The one big difference with the Nook as well as with the Kindle Fire is that you will have to 'Root' them to get full Android market capabilities. I have done this for both of them. You can put the full operating system on their Micro SD cards and they run just fine that way. Unlike the Nook, the Kindle Fire does not have an SD card. So it is not quite as flexible. Obviously the Google Nexus would be the easiest to simply plug and play.

While these tablets are great for reading and running some android apps they do not take the place of a full computer by any means. It is my opinion that your DS should learn to use a computer including the mouse and keyboard. All kids will need this ability eventually. Ours can do a lot more on the computer and use both tools. For example most online classes require full computer usage. Though you could pick and choose some that will work on a tablet. And I think that support will increase over time. Currently dd6 and dd8 are using the computer for DreamBox. And ds11 is learning to program in Java on the computer. He is also taking an internet based Pre-Algebra course - TabletClass. TabletClass was designed to be run on Tablets. But you have to download the videos and put them on it. My son still prefers to run it on the computer.

For the price of the Android based tablets now you really get a lot for your money. So I'd recommend giving it a go. Just don't stop computer training in parallel. I started all three with computer games at an early age to teach them the basics of using the keyboard and mouse. Now its second nature.

Edited by dereksurfs

We're happy with our Nook Colors, but there aren't as many educational games available for it as there are for the iPad.

Have you tried rooting them for full android market access or do you use only the apps from B&N?

Edited by dereksurfs

Do any of these support flash?

Flash is old technology which Adobe, the creators, will no longer be supporting on newer Android and other mobile platforms.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/081512-android-flash-261663.html

I don't think you will ever need it as HTML 5 replaces it. Our kids can watch YouTube videos from Khan Academy and Ted for example fine on their Nooks without flash. It all boils down to what Android OS you run on the tablet and which technologies that version supports. With Nooks as I've mentioned you can update the OS yourself and run off the SDcards. With the Google Nexus tablet it comes with all you'll need right out of the box.

Edited by dereksurfs

Flash is old technology which Adobe, the creators, will no longer be supporting on newer Android and other mobile platforms.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/081512-android-flash-261663.html

I don't think you will ever need it as HTML 5 replaces it. Our kids can watch YouTube videos from Khan Academy and Ted for example fine on their Nooks without flash. It all boils down to what Android OS you run on the tablet and which technologies that version supports.

Except that one of the websites DS is using is flash based.

With Nooks as I've mentioned you can update the OS yourself and run off the SDcards. With the Google Nexus tablet it comes with all you'll need right out of the box.

Umm, no *I* can not. I honestly, do not even understand what you are talking about.

Momtoone,

In case you still need Flash there are two options:

1. Use an *older* Android OS version which still supports it

2. Use a workaround installing it with the newer tablets such as Google Nexus.

I'm not too sure how much you know or don't know about the Android Operating System (OS) vs. Apple's iOS. But basically they are what run their respective tablets. All tablets have an OS of some kind, Android and iOS are the major ones. Each OS has specific versions which are continually being updated. This is just like Windows Vista vs. Windows 7 for example. Android Tablets are the most affordable option right now. So start there. Then you need to determine which tablet you like, can afford, etc...

Google Nexus is the top Android bang for the buck tablet right now. It comes with Android's 'Jelly Bean.' That's the latest Android version.

While you may feel you don't know much about this stuff right now there are plenty of online tutorials and instructions for getting things you may need. But you have to be willing to learn/try them out. If not maybe a tech savvy friend/relative can help.

Here are the steps to installing Flash on Google's Nexus tablet:

If on the other hand don't want to have to do anything and still have Flash work, the Nook Tablet supports Flash out of the box. See the specs here: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/cert-pre-owned-nook-tablet-barnes-noble/1104687988?ean=9781400501786.

The only real downside with the Nook or Kindle's Fire is that they are limited to what their own app stores provide which is a smaller subset of the full Android Market. So to get around that problem one can opt to do what is called 'rooting' their device. An even simpler way to address this is to instead put the OS on the microSD Card and run it from there. In doing this you do not have to change the original configuration in any way, thus not effecting the warranty. But of couse this process takes some work and there is a bit of a learning curve.

The real questions boil down to:

a. How much do you want to learn about this stuff? Or who nearby can help you to do it for you?

b. How much will you want to spend?

c. What apps/functionality will you need?

Edited by dereksurfs

I mentioned in another thread tha due to my rapidly declining health I need to add in more online learning to take some stress off of me. Right now I only own a laptop. DS struggles with the mouse and keys so I am looking at some type of tablet PC and I am overwhelmed. Does anyone know of a website that has an upto date comparison guide? Or suggestions? I am low income and will have to save up for several months as it is so please do not suggest anything expensive.

I have no interest in an iPad.

I'm wondering if you are talking about the built in mouse on the laptop...the little flat area that I also cannot stand to use. If so, you can purchase a regular mouse and I would bet that would be much easier for him to use and far cheaper than purchasing a tablet. If you already are using a separate mouse, then please disregard my advice. :001_smile:

For those who own a Nook Tablet and want full Android Market access here is one example of how to do this *without* changing the original device:

Basically you run the OS from the microSD card in full Android mode. I do this currently and it works great. If you pull the card out and run it, it reverts to the original B&N configuration residing on the device. BTW, the most common version for this is Gingerbread, though others are available.

Edited by dereksurfs

If you're mostly using websites, I think the computer is still better platform... Why is he struggling with the mouse? Tablets can be more intuitive, but a mouse isn't that hard, so I'm wondering if there's something else...?

He understands how to use a mouse his problem is being able to physically use a mouse (or mouse pad). It does not matter if it the pad on the laptop or an external mouse. I gave up on using an external mouse dog enjoys them as a snack and DS does not care for it. I even had him try the mouse that has the ball roller on top, he hated that one the most.

There are also still tablets that aren't Android or the iPad, but run Windows, like this one:

http://www.officemax.com/technology/computers/tablets/product-prod4280015?An=1003303+4294814618&A=23507279&Au=P_PROD_ID&ssp=true&useSessionResults=false&searchTerm=

You would be able to install any software that runs on Windows on this tablet, and use whatever internet browser you like. Windows 8 is supposed to be geared toward touchscreens, and though I have no personal experience using it with a tablet (I just put it on my laptop), it does seem touch-friendly. I would say that you should start with a trip to your nearest store with display models and try them out. I know I can never keep the salesmen at BestBuy from trying to tell me things whether I want them to or not, so if you actually want to know about tablets, that might be useful place to start. You and your son would be able to try out all of the operating systems and see what makes sense to you.

Edited by lmorsi

Thank you Dereksurfs for the down-to-earth and easy to understand explanation. :lurk5:

Glad to help Heigh Ho. I am an admitted gadget geek working in the IT field. So I'm never really sure how much to share as I don't want to overwhelm folks with info. Its sometimes easier to give advice in person. That way I can see ppls eyes begin to glaze over if I go too far in depth.:tongue_smilie:

One of the reasons many go with Apple products is because they are supposedly easier for the non-techies to use. But there is really so much info available now and how-to tutorials that it doesn't have to be overly complicated. That said I know my wife wouldn't want to have to do this kind of stuff. That's what she has me for. :D

Edited by dereksurfs

Wow, I had no idea MS was trying to sell those for so much. :eek: Of course its a 10 inch. But still $600 is way too much IMO. It would be interesting to see which programs would actually work and be readable on a Win8 tablet. If a standard Windows desktop app ran it would look very small vs. one designed for a mobile device.

If I wanted something that large I'd go with the Google Nexus 10 instead @ $399. But the Nexus 7" @ $200 is really the market leader right now at a price that can't be beat.

Edited by dereksurfs

It would be interesting to see which programs would actually work and be readable on a Win8 tablet. If a standard Windows desktop app ran it would look very small vs. one designed for a mobile device.

Well, all of the Windows programs would "work" since it's Windows and the size would be the same as on a 10 inch netbook, which is smallish, but workable. My sister used a 9 inch netbook for a couple of years and when she got a 10 inch one it seemed so big to her, lol. Windows 8 does have apps too though, and those are designed for mobile devices and are available through their app "store" (though many are free) just like Android and iPad. I don't believe there are as many educational apps as there are on iPad or even Android currently, though that could change if they gained any popularity. However, if you are interested in using any CD-based curricula like Teaching Textbooks, you could only do that if you had a Windows tablet.

I want to be clear -- I've never used a Windows tablet and don't think I would have a use for one, but if you wanted a child to learn computing or do a computer based curriculum and that child could not use a mouse, I would definitely consider it over a tablet geared more for entertainment, reading and educational games.

Well, all of the Windows programs would "work" since it's Windows and the size would be the same as on a 10 inch netbook, which is smallish, but workable. My sister used a 9 inch netbook for a couple of years and when she got a 10 inch one it seemed so big to her, lol. Windows 8 does have apps too though, and those are designed for mobile devices and are available through their app "store" (though many are free) just like Android and iPad. I don't believe there are as many educational apps as there are on iPad or even Android currently, though that could change if they gained any popularity. However, if you are interested in using any CD-based curricula like Teaching Textbooks, you could only do that if you had a Windows tablet.

I want to be clear -- I've never used a Windows tablet and don't think I would have a use for one, but if you wanted a child to learn computing or do a computer based curriculum and that child could not use a mouse, I would definitely consider it over a tablet geared more for entertainment, reading and educational games.

This is interesting though somewhat off topic, especially based on the price contraints stated in the OP.

I still have to wonder how older Windows apps (not designed for Win8) would work without standard mouse or key inputs among other things. As a software engineer I have written some MS windows apps. And these apps depend heavily on both key and mouse inputs. I haven't explored how windows 8 simulates these yet. But I guess they could translate touch and taps into 'some' key and mouse inputs. This would seem a bit clunky though in comparison. Still with a standard mouse you have things like left and right clicks which trigger different events. And the keyboard gives you function keys along with key combinations (alt-f4, etc...). So I'm not convinced one could use programs which uses these events. I really don't think there would be 100% compatibility especially in terms of real world usability. For simpler apps which are less graphic intensive I wouldn't see a real problem. But for more involved applications or those with fixed sizes designed for larger screens there will be unavoidable issues.

Edited by dereksurfs

The flash thing is interesting. I am contantly unable to veiw things because my phone doesn't support flash.

Your phone probably has an older Android version which didn't support flash such as Banana Bread, Donut or Eclair. I'm not joking. Those are the names, really. :lol: Or you simply didn't download it yet with a supported version from the play store. Also the newest phones won't support Flash as mentioned because Adobe has now phased it out. Here is the list of Flash supported Android versions:

http://socialcompare.com/en/comparison/android-versions-comparison

You can check your phone's Android version under Settings to see what you have currently.

Edited by dereksurfs

From what I understand, taps are left-clicks, double-taps are double-clicks, and a long press is a right-click (brings up a context menu). Function key combinations might be doable from an on-screen keyboard, but these are almost always keyboard shortcuts anyway - for commands that are already somewhere in the menus. I'm a fan and constant user of keyboard shortcuts and I love physical keyboards, which is one reason I can't see myself using a tablet for pc work.

Again, I'm just making sure the OP knows all of the options for touchscreen computing if that is what is desired. There are also touchscreen desktops with large screens that might be what this child needs eventually. As far as price range goes, we all know how fast new tech drops in price, especially in the refurb market and how deals can be had if you have some time to wait and watch. $400 for an Android tablet (or significantly more for an iPad) that can't actually deliver curriculum, just learning games, might not suit the OP's needs as well as a $400 refurb tablet PC. But then again, it might.

I also want to correct the link I sent. That wasn't a Windows 8 tablet -- it runs Windows RT, which is just the touch interface and not the legacy-compatible full operating system. The tablet I've been discussing that could run Windows programs would be something like this (which has not been released yet -- these things are just coming out):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131399

Notice the detachable keyboard. And it comes with a digitizer pen.

Also, lest you think I'm against Android or iPad, that's not the case. I've had an Android phone for the past 3 years (since they came out) and would love to get an Android tablet if it wasn't so much a want vs. a need and we could afford it. I also had the chance to play with an iPad for 2 weeks and enjoyed that more than I thought I would (it was a little hard to give back).

I just want the OP to know what each type of tablet does and doesn't do so she can figure out what she needs. It struck me as odd that she initially said she wanted a tablet, but wasn't interested in the iPad. So everyone assumed she wanted an Android, however, I see Android's strength being the fact you can mess around and customize it, and iPad's being that you can't (and that corporations seem to focus more on their iPad apps than Android apps, historically anyway). But the OP doesn't seem interested in messing around with gadgets, so it seems like an iPad might better suit between the two, assuming she doesn't have other reasons for not being interested in it. So I just wanted her to know that there was a third option.

Edited by lmorsi

More options are better :) I had no idea that there are other options. I know so very little about this type of thing. If I didn't find it overwhelming to just check my email at the library and pain to try and print materials away from home I would not even own a laptop. I own an android phone but I only use it as a phone, to access my google calendar, alarm clock and to check this forum when I am waiting (like now). No games or anything else.

I refuse to own any Apple product, not just an iPad.

$400 for an Android tablet (or significantly more for an iPad) that can't actually deliver curriculum, just learning games, might not suit the OP's needs as well as a $400 refurb tablet PC.

This!!!

Again, I'm just making sure the OP knows all of the options for touchscreen computing if that is what is desired. There are also touchscreen desktops with large screens that might be what this child needs eventually. As far as price range goes, we all know how fast new tech drops in price, especially in the refurb market and how deals can be had if you have some time to wait and watch. $400 for an Android tablet (or significantly more for an iPad) that can't actually deliver curriculum, just learning games, might not suit the OP's needs as well as a $400 refurb tablet PC. But then again, it might.

I just want the OP to know what each type of tablet does and doesn't do so she can figure out what she needs...

Yes, I agree that its good to know about other options available. Whether an Android tablet can deliver educational content really depends on the content she is trying to use. Personally I wouldn't spend $400 on any tablet when I can get a much better laptop for the same $ or less. That's why I think the Google Nexus is the best tablet option on a budget. Next best would be a Nook. I don't think $400 is really in the budget based on the OP. And a refurbed Win8 for a low price is a ways out still. Their pricing structure is in the same category as the iPAD = too high for what one gets.

This really goes back to my original post in which I questioned using a tablet to take the place of a standard computer. The only real reason for this seems to be familarity with a standard mouse. Once the mouse is mastered this whole problem goes away.

That said it is still nice to use a tablet for certain educational activities. The best benefit IMO is ability to use all of the free resouces available for online books. Our kids really enjoy having a library at their fingertips. We still use standard books from the library as well. But with sites like Gutenberg many new doors are open to them. And that is both exciting and fun for them. And there are other options are available depending what one wants to do like run Flash sites using the options I described. Khan Academy and many streaming educational sites and courses can be taken from it. But it will never take the place of a full computer. That's why I encourage this standrard training in parallel with tablet use.

Edited by dereksurfs

If the OP's ds is struggling to use a regular mouse, then it doesn't seem like the touchscreen computers Imorsi is talking about will be significantly easier. The iPad really is the easiest to use of all the options being discussed, but I'm still not sure if it's even going to do what the OP wants. Plus, apparently she has some moral objection to Apple?

If the OP's ds is struggling to use a regular mouse, then it doesn't seem like the touchscreen computers Imorsi is talking about will be significantly easier. The iPad really is the easiest to use of all the options being discussed, but I'm still not sure if it's even going to do what the OP wants. Plus, apparently she has some moral objection to Apple?

While there is some general truth to this for the iPAD, there are certain things it can't do that Android tablets can. One of them is to play Flash based content out of the box compared to older versions Android like Gingerbread. And that seeems to be one of the OP's criteria. Apple and Flash have never played well together, though some ppl have created workarounds. iPAD navigation with 4 finger swipe for example was never that intuitive or natural. Also if you look at some of the current reviews comparing the Google's Nexus to the iPAD there isn't as much difference now as most ppl may think. Some reviewers actually prefer the functionality and usablitiy of the newer Android tablets over the iPAD, not to mention the price is lower. Either way the line is blurring and they are getting closer in terms of overall user experience. This is also true with the iPhone vs. the newer generation Android phones. Of course there will always be fans on both sides. But if you look at technical reviews the differences are not as great as they once were when comparing features and overall functionality.

Edited by dereksurfs

This is very interesting and relevant...We will most likely be traveling/studying abroad next year, so I'm looking to get some android tablets for my kids. (I will also take some laptops as we will be renting flats that have wifi.)

I would like them to play flash, but I don't want to spend a lot. I want mainly educational apps, possibly a couple "just for fun" apps. I would also like to be able to run Kindle app, read PDFs (curriculum), read ebooks, and listen to audio books.

Does anyone know if I buy a new tablet with an older OS (like 2.3) can I install flash (I find tons of these on ebay, buy.com, etc)? Or is it too late if it is not already installed (kinda how felt when I read info on google play store)? If I can't, what is the least expensive tablet that runs flash? I may skip that and just do the flash based stuff on the laptops if they are too expensive, or wait and get one of those once we return.

I really wanted to opt for "cheaper" tablets in case of loss, theft etc or where we are traveling are some "developing" countries, so I might decide to "gift" to someone there before we leave to return home.

I know you get what you pay for, but has anyone had experience with: AGPtek (I was looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek%C2%AE-Android-Capacitive-G-Sensor-Support/dp/B008CZ1YLY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1351792671&sr=1-1&keywords=android+7%22+tablet or Pandigital (I"ve found refurb for $50) ???

I really am trying to keep it to under $100@ (I know, I'm dreaming here lol)

Any help appreciated

This is very interesting and relevant...We will most likely be traveling/studying abroad next year, so I'm looking to get some android tablets for my kids. (I will also take some laptops as we will be renting flats that have wifi.)

I would like them to play flash, but I don't want to spend a lot. I want mainly educational apps, possibly a couple "just for fun" apps. I would also like to be able to run Kindle app, read PDFs (curriculum), read ebooks, and listen to audio books.

Does anyone know if I buy a new tablet with an older OS (like 2.3) can I install flash (I find tons of these on ebay, buy.com, etc)? Or is it too late if it is not already installed (kinda how felt when I read info on google play store)? If I can't, what is the least expensive tablet that runs flash? I may skip that and just do the flash based stuff on the laptops if they are too expensive, or wait and get one of those once we return.

I really wanted to opt for "cheaper" tablets in case of loss, theft etc or where we are traveling are some "developing" countries, so I might decide to "gift" to someone there before we leave to return home.

I know you get what you pay for, but has anyone had experience with: AGPtek (I was looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek%C2%AE-Android-Capacitive-G-Sensor-Support/dp/B008CZ1YLY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1351792671&sr=1-1&keywords=android+7%22+tablet or Pandigital (I"ve found refurb for $50) ???

I really am trying to keep it to under $100@ (I know, I'm dreaming here lol)

Any help appreciated

Wow, that looks like a pretty good deal for a sub $100 tablet. Even though it is pretty much a no name brand the reviews seem favorable. I think you can run flash on it since it has 4.0 icecream sandwhich. See this Android version table: http://socialcompare.com/en/comparison/android-versions-comparison

I would also recommend the refurbished Nook Color which has a superior screen (1024 X 600) and will most likely be more reliable. But this one on Amazon doesn't look too shabby, especially for the price. I just noticed it only has 4GB of internal memory and no SD for expansion while the Nook has 8 GB of internal memory with an SD card. I'm not sure about warranties on these lesser known models. There are *many* cheaper tablets flooding the market right now. Some have significant problems due to poor quality control among other issues. With the Nook you would have to take an extra step in creating the bootable SD card as I mentioned earlier if you want full Android Market support. Whereas with something like this model you would not. So they both have their pros/cons depending on what your preferences are. Overall there are a lot of good affordable options.

Edited by dereksurfs

Wow, that looks like a pretty good deal for a sub $100 tablet. Even though it is pretty much a no name brand the reviews seem favorable. I think you can run flash on it since it has 4.0 icecream sandwhich. See this Android version table: http://socialcompare.com/en/comparison/android-versions-comparison

I would also recommend the refurbished Nook Color which has a superior screen (1024 X 600) and will most likely be more reliable. But this one on Amazon doesn't look too shabby, especially for the price. I just noticed it only has 4GB of internal memory and no SD for expansion while the Nook has 8 GB of internal memory with an SD card. I'm not sure about warranties on these lesser known models. There are *many* cheaper tablets flooding the market right now. Some have significant problems due to poor quality control among other issues. With the Nook you would have to take an extra step in creating the bootable SD card as I mentioned earlier if you want full Android Market support. Whereas with something like this model you would not. So they both have their pros/cons depending on what your preferences are. Overall there are a lot of good affordable options.

Thanks Derek, Actually the one on amazon I linked to does have an microsd slot (up to 32gb). I might look at the nook, if I can root it..I'll check out the link you provided earlier in the thread..

I used to work IT during college, but got out of the field and let's just say things have changed a lot:tongue_smilie:

Just a question, do you know if it would be possible on the nook or any tablet to have several SD cards (say 1 for videos and games, 1 for educational books/apps) and switch them out based on what you wanted to do on the tablet at that time??? I'm thinking I could leave the educ apps/books in and when they have "completed" their required work they could have the sd card with the "fun" stuff on it??? just an idea

Thanks Derek, Actually the one on amazon I linked to does have an microsd slot (up to 32gb). I might look at the nook, if I can root it..I'll check out the link you provided earlier in the thread..

I used to work IT during college, but got out of the field and let's just say things have changed a lot:tongue_smilie:

Just a question, do you know if it would be possible on the nook or any tablet to have several SD cards (say 1 for videos and games, 1 for educational books/apps) and switch them out based on what you wanted to do on the tablet at that time??? I'm thinking I could leave the educ apps/books in and when they have "completed" their required work they could have the sd card with the "fun" stuff on it??? just an idea

You could do this depending on how you set it up. If you install the OS and run from the SD card you can have whatever you want on *each* OS/SD combo including the programs you plan to run. On the other hand if you wanted to run from the *same* OS on the internal memory I don't think you could swap things out as easily. I would opt for the former as it is the most flexible. There are many Youtube and other instructionals on how to create these SD images. Gingerbread or later are good version to use for this. If you want to do something like this I recommend picking a product which is a little more well known. That way you will find more online support for it as well. Keep in mind that not only the OS goes on the card but all of the drivers for that particular device. So a Gingerbread image for a Nook Color would not work for a Pandigital or another xyz tablet.

Here is a great site where most of these custom images are created. Take a look at how many difference products there are and if one you are considering is there: http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php?tab=all

Here is the Nook Color Development area for example where they build the ROMs. CM7 or CM9 are probably the most stable ROMs: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=864

BTW, if you only create and load the bootable image on *one* card as I have done you will still have *two* different systems: the original OS which came preinstalled on internal memory along with its default programs and the second one on the new card. All you have to do is pop out the card and reboot to switch.

Edited by dereksurfs

You could do this depending on how you set it up. If you install the OS and run from the SD card you can have whatever you want on *each* OS/SD combo including the programs you plan to run. On the other hand if you wanted to run from the *same* OS on the internal memory I don't think you could swap things out as easily. I would opt for the former as it is the most flexible. There are many Youtube and other instructionals on how to create these SD images. Gingerbread or later are good version to use for this. If you want to do something like this I recommend picking a product which is a little more well known. That way you will find more online support for it as well. Keep in mind that not only the OS goes on the card but all of the drivers for that particular device. So a Gingerbread image for a Nook Color would not work a Pandigital for example.

Here is a great site where most of these custom images or ROMs are created. Take a look at how many difference products there are and if one you are considering is there: http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php?tab=all

Here is the Nook Color Development area for example where they build the ROMs. CM7 or CM9 are probably the most stable ROMs: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=864

Ok, that is kinda what I was thinking (kinda like switching out HDDs vs switching out CDs)... Then the nook looks like it might be the way to go...I know the 3yos are going to want/need different apps than my 8yo for example..Thanks for all the links and info! I learned more here than several weeks of googling lol

Ok, that is kinda what I was thinking (kinda like switching out HDDs vs switching out CDs)... Then the nook looks like it might be the way to go...I know the 3yos are going to want/need different apps than my 8yo for example..Thanks for all the links and info! I learned more here than several weeks of googling lol

Glad to to help. In the beginning there is almost too much info which you then have to wade through in order to narrow things down a bit. I ended up using a combo of two sites primarily (see below) and some youtube tutorials which are great for customizations. I really enjoy how-to videos in addition to following steps in a guide. The Nook Color and Nook Tablet are highly rated options which also have a lot of online support and tutorials for customizations. Please keep in mind each will have its own unique image as the hardware is different even for the Nooks. So use associated guides/tutorials for whichever brand & model you end up selecting.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=864

Edited by dereksurfs

Oh, I agree. I just think that the OP's needs may not be fully met by any of these options being discussed. And I think a kid learning to use a mouse is probably the cheapest and easiest option available all things considered.

Since the "learning to use a mouse" will not die despite my early post (#13 in this thread) explaining that DS knows how but is unable to physically use a mouse (and keyboard)... My DS has wrist contractures that will only get worse with time. He is physically unable to use a standard mouse or any type of standard mouse (touch pad, roller ball, wireless etc) to efficiently navigate a computer and learning program since many are timed and will not allow a child to advance if they are unable to meet a certain time quota. When his OT had him use a touch screen device he found that DS was able to use it to navigate programs significantly more efficiently and with greater accuracy then using a mouse and keyboard.

Please stop pushing learning to use a keyboard and mouse. I feel insulted by the assumption that no effort has been made to teach him to use a mouse even after I said that he knows how but lacks the physical ability to use it.

Since the "learning to use a mouse" will not die despite my early post (#13 in this thread) explaining that DS knows how but is unable to physically use a mouse (and keyboard)... My DS has wrist contractures that will only get worse with time. He is physically unable to use a standard mouse or any type of standard mouse (touch pad, roller ball, wireless etc) to efficiently navigate a computer and learning program since many are timed and will not allow a child to advance if they are unable to meet a certain time quota. When his OT had him use a touch screen device he found that DS was able to use it to navigate programs significantly more efficiently and with greater accuracy then using a mouse and keyboard.

Please stop pushing learning to use a keyboard and mouse. I feel insulted by the assumption that no effort has been made to teach him to use a mouse even after I said that he knows how but lacks the physical ability to use it.

Sorry momtoone if it came off that way. Many times things get lost in translation on the internet. I don't think any of us realized he had phyical limitations in this way based on your original description of the problem. This makes a lot more sense now regarding his mouse usage. A touchscreen may be the only way for him to go if there is no mouse which will work given his condition.

When his OT had him use a touch screen device he found that DS was able to use it to navigate programs significantly more efficiently and with greater accuracy then using a mouse and keyboard.

My two kids can't move the mouse fast enough either for timed programs. I had to do it for them with them saying the answers.

The best choice might be a touchscreen desktop but those are not cheap. Another thing that might work is a pen tablet. However it is a pen replacing a mouse and I don't know if your child has an issues with a pen.

My two kids can't move the mouse fast enough either for timed programs. I had to do it for them with them saying the answers.

The best choice might be a touchscreen desktop but those are not cheap. Another thing that might work is a pen tablet. However it is a pen replacing a mouse and I don't know if your child has an issues with a pen.

There are other mouse options out there including a completely hands free mouse such as this one: http://www.footmouse.com/

This is good for ppl how suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome or have other problems using a standard mouse. Another is the Joy Stick mouse: http://www.indiana.edu/~iuadapts/technology/hardware/mice/joystick.html

The big benfit in finding an adaptive mouse of some kind over a touchscreen tablet/computer is that it can be plugged in to any computer. For working professionals who have wrist or other issues for example this is important because many times they must use the same computers everyone already has within a given office area.

In the future with Windows 8 and beyond along with more touchscreen monitors available this may become less of an issue. Then potenitally all one would need is a touchscreen monitor vs. an entirely different computer.

From what I understand, taps are left-clicks, double-taps are double-clicks, and a long press is a right-click (brings up a context menu). Function key combinations might be doable from an on-screen keyboard, but these are almost always keyboard shortcuts anyway - for commands that are already somewhere in the menus. I'm a fan and constant user of keyboard shortcuts and I love physical keyboards, which is one reason I can't see myself using a tablet for pc work.

I also want to correct the link I sent. That wasn't a Windows 8 tablet -- it runs Windows RT, which is just the touch interface and not the legacy-compatible full operating system. The tablet I've been discussing that could run Windows programs would be something like this (which has not been released yet -- these things are just coming out):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131399

Notice the detachable keyboard. And it comes with a digitizer pen.

I just want the OP to know what each type of tablet does and doesn't do so she can figure out what she needs.

In light of new information from the OP I think lmorsi offered a great alternative solution here. Although this technology is new and expensive now prices will drop over time.

Here is a full size touchscreen laptop from Acer: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57527627-75/windows-8-touch-screen-acer-laptop-desktop-up-for-sale/

Here is a list of new touchscreen computers coming out: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-3121_7-57531284-220/windows-8-the-complete-new-pc-launch-list/

Edited by dereksurfs