Menu

Dr. Hive: I tested positive--anti-nuclear antibodies

So, the endo ordered a truckload of lab work--I'm surprised I had any blood left when it was over, lol--and the results for "anti-nuclear antibodies" came back positive. The report says "Pattern: speckled," and "ANA Titer: 1:40." I'm working on getting a referral to a rheumatologist, but I was hoping someone here could tell me what the heck that means.

An ANA is non-specific for any particular disease. Normal, healthy people can have a low titer ANA. It is commonly used to diagnose lupus and other rheumatic disease. Are you symptomatic? A rheumatologist would make a diagnosis off of numerous criteria. They will most likely run an additional antibody panel that would look for other more specific antibodies.

When I was diagnosed with lupus and ra, my Ana was 1:2560. Each time they check for these antibodies, they dilute to see how long it takes to no longer see them anymore. So each time it doubles. 1:40, 1:80, 1:160, 1:320, 1:640, 1:1280, 1:2560. Hopefully, that makes sense. I know it sounds kind of strange. I wouldn't be overly concerned, but definitely follow up with a rheumatologist so they can help you sort everything out.

An ANA is non-specific for any particular disease. Normal, healthy people can have a low titer ANA. It is commonly used to diagnose lupus and other rheumatic disease. Are you symptomatic? A rheumatologist would make a diagnosis off of numerous criteria. They will most likely run an additional antibody panel that would look for other more specific antibodies.

I am symptomatic, but it's sort of a chronic, low-grade kind of thing, not a debilitating kind of thing, KWIM? All my joints, all the time, sometimes worse than others but still there. Poor me, lol.

When I was diagnosed with lupus and ra, my Ana was 1:2560. Each time they check for these antibodies, they dilute to see how long it takes to no longer see them anymore. So each time it doubles. 1:40, 1:80, 1:160, 1:320, 1:640, 1:1280, 1:2560. Hopefully, that makes sense. I know it sounds kind of strange. I wouldn't be overly concerned, but definitely follow up with a rheumatologist so they can help you sort everything out.

Thanks for the info. I'm working on the referral now. Maybe I'll get some answers after all these years.

Oh...and the pattern. There are a few different ones that can be specific to lupus or sjogrens....maybe some others. Speckled is nonspecific from what remember. It is also the same pattern that I have had subsequently. I hope that you find some answers.

TYVM. :-)

I just had a boat of testing done as well and also came back with a High ANA test. My pulmy requested more tests to check for Lupus, scleroderma and Sarcodosis. The first two came back negative for me but it's the ACE test that might point to Sarcodosis which is what I have the most symptoms for.

My rheumatologist was a big help in ordering all the right blood work. It is frustrating to have symptoms that point to many problems and not one that is really obvious. It takes so much time and energy to figure it all out. Hopefully each test gets you closer to the answers you need.

:grouphug: