Menu

Math through Art resources?

Halcyon

Oh, thanks so much for posting that site! In my best year of school ever, 6th grade, my wonderful teacher had us build geometric lanterns and many chose to build the stellated icosahedron. I built a different kind, less complex in overall structure but each side was created from a cardboard cut-out geometric pattern that I designed, with tissue paper. The lanterns were all so beautiful, so educational... We carried them in the lantern parade at the Nurnberg Christkindlesmarkt that year. It kills me that I didn't save it.

Anyway, here are some math/art resources we like:

MathART

Math Art

Connecting Art to Math

Object Lessons: Teaching Math Through the Visual Arts

Math for Humans gave me the idea to have dc make their own flash cards. DD in particular loved this. Also check out Robinsunne's multiplication clock. Also, strongly consider letting the kids maintain Waldorf style main lesson books in addition to their regularly scheduled math curriculum.

I also started doing aestheometry with the kids. My 6th grade teacher did this (and called it aestheometry, so that's what I still call it :D) and I was so thrilled to find the Curve Stitching book...until I got it. :tongue_smilie: I can teach it more easily than they present it. Still, it's a great activity and very effective at keeping hands busy during read-alouds.

Muggins Math has two possibilities. Geometry: The Beauty of Numbers and Pollywogs to Polygons.

http://www.mugginsmath.com go to the store on the website and scroll down and you will see both.

this is from their website about Geometry: The Beauty of Numbers

GEOMETRY: THE BEAUTY OF NUMBERS

"A Unique Blend of Art and Math" Discover the hidden artist and mathematician within as you learn to make designs from the math formulas you create. Using only paper, pencil, a protractor, and a ruler, as well as your imagination, you'll be able to design your own unique drawings. This activity book will lead you into a whole new realm of art and math!

• 3 months later...

Muggins Math has two possibilities. Geometry: The Beauty of Numbers and Pollywogs to Polygons.

http://www.mugginsmath.com go to the store on the website and scroll down and you will see both.

this is from their website about Geometry: The Beauty of Numbers

GEOMETRY: THE BEAUTY OF NUMBERS

"A Unique Blend of Art and Math" Discover the hidden artist and mathematician within as you learn to make designs from the math formulas you create. Using only paper, pencil, a protractor, and a ruler, as well as your imagination, you'll be able to design your own unique drawings. This activity book will lead you into a whole new realm of art and math!

We have not tried the geometry offering yet, but my little ones have really enjoyed Pollywogs to Polygons.