Menu

My dd's schedule this year - ok or too much? ISO suggestions, opinions, etc. LONG

Here is our 2012-2013 schedule for my 13 yo/8th grader. She is an only child and I started this academy for her. There are a handful + students and they all know one another from Bible Study. They are being tutored by a friend (we pay her a small amount) in the subjects of: math games, history/American Presidents (fall), science (spring semester), vocabulary, literature and writing.

The tutor gives homework. Math games are in class only and no homework as it is supplementary to what is taught at home. History homework includes researching a president and submitting a 1-2 page "key points" format. Vocabulary from classical roots at home and reviewed in class. Literature - read at home and answer TLP study guide to review in class. Writing - at home and some in class at the academy.

Home: math, english. That is ALL she/I have time for. I have other little activity books like Money Matters for Teens, Beautiful Girlhood, Shakespeare and more, but she just can't find the time.

OK, is this too much? She has ALWAYS been homeschooed. She is on meds for epilepsy, but is seizure free and will be completely weaned off of her meds Nov 29. She is bright, but sloooooow in getting things done.

Because she is an only child I thought it was important to have this venue for socialization, but also to learn in a more "school" like setting where they will talk, discuss, share ideas and work on projects together.

Ideas, opinions, suggestions? THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Monday

Leaves house at 8:45 for academy from 9:30 - 1:30 arrives home at 2:15

Small break

Homeschool and academy homework

End of school day past dinner

Tuesday

Home - homeschooling / academy homework

End of school day around dinner

Wednesday

Leaves house at 8:45 for academy from 9:30 - 1:30 arrives home at 2:15

Small break

Homeschool and academy homework

*** Every other Wed. we have horseback riding lessons from 2 - 2:30. We get home "approximately" 3:30 b/c class can run over and for the next 5 weeks I take my dd's friend to meet her mom for pick up. Still, after that drop off ends Nov/Dec we still won't get home on horseback days until 3:15'ish.

Thursday

Bible Study - leave house at 9:00 and get home "about" 11:45

Lunch

Homeschool/Academy homework

Friday

Home - homeschooling and academy homework

End of school day around dinner

Saturday

Finish up assignments from homeschooling/academy homework

Anyone?

ETA: It "seems" all she does is school. She is bright, but takes a loooong time to get things done, or so it seems. Maybe she's right on target.

Does this seem like too much of a schedule? She'd be doing history, science, writing, literature, vocab at home. The only difference is she's out with the drive to and from 2x a week and the tutor gives homework in literature, tlp study guide, history (science in spring), writing.

What do you think? :bigear:

Every family is different, but if we had school up to dinnertime (5:30-6pm for us) every night, and sometimes after, I would cut some things back. Does she get up early enough to complete a couple things before you leave for academy? Or could you do a book on CD during your 45 min drive each way?

I dropped Vocabulary when my DD started 7th grade since I figured she was picking it up in other areas, and dropped formal writing this year so we could do logic and geography (we will likely do a business writing or something similar in high school). I would say those two can be combined into other subjects pretty easily. Can you choose part of the academy, and not all the courses?

We found leaving the house and trying to focus on school when we got home to be too much. My son is a slow worker and leaving the house 4 days a week would have been way too much, again each family is different, but distractions can play a huge role in a child who already works slower.

Do you plan to homeschool high school? There are some foundational skills, not subjects, that I would encourage to make sure are well grounded as you head that way. Time Management being one. I would make sure those skills are being covered, writing and math being two important ones.

Have your tried finishing up those out of house days somewhere else? Like go to the library or a coffee shop to work. Sometimes the act of coming home itself can be a distraction.

The truth is no one can do everything. I would probably set aside the extras, makes sure the basics are covered, make sure skills are covered.

If you plan to homeschool high school, I would start putting together a game plan. Money skills and Shakespeare would fit right into a high school schedule.

Good luck, it can be such a balance.

We found leaving the house and trying to focus on school when we got home to be too much. My son is a slow worker and leaving the house 4 days a week would have been way too much, again each family is different, but distractions can play a huge role in a child who already works slower.

Do you plan to homeschool high school? Yes! There are some foundational skills, not subjects, that I would encourage to make sure are well grounded as you head that way. Time Management being one. I would make sure those skills are being covered, writing and math being two important ones.

Have your tried finishing up those out of house days somewhere else? Paula, not sure what you mean...finishing those up? Those meaning other subjects from home? Academy? Like go to the library or a coffee shop to work. Sometimes the act of coming home itself can be a distraction. I agree, but she'd be away from home all the more.

The truth is no one can do everything. I would probably set aside the extras, makes sure the basics are covered, make sure skills are covered.

If you plan to homeschool high school, I would start putting together a game plan. Money skills and Shakespeare would fit right into a high school schedule. Yes, but unfortunately it seems like I'll have to forego these this year.

Good luck, it can be such a balance.

The amount of subject matter doesn't seem like too much. However four hours is a lot of time at the academy. FWIW my 8th grader can take four hours of work and make it last until 10 pm. I don't let him, but he's capable of it!

There is lunch in that 4 hours. Each class runs approx. 40 minutes for the 5 areas covered.

Every family is different, but if we had school up to dinnertime (5:30-6pm for us) every night, and sometimes after, I would cut some things back. Does she get up early enough to complete a couple things before you leave for academy? Yes, I forgot to mention she does either math or english every M/W before academy and before Bible Study on Th mornings. Or could you do a book on CD during your 45 min drive each way? I don't have books on cd this year. Many times she would work on school work in the car, but this year we are carpooling to the academy and she likes visiting with her friends. The drive is 20 min. one way.

I dropped Vocabulary when my DD started 7th grade since I figured she was picking it up in other areas, and dropped formal writing this year so we could do logic and geography (we will likely do a business writing or something similar in high school). I would say those two can be combined into other subjects pretty easily. Can you choose part of the academy, and not all the courses?

Right. We have worked in spelling into other programs. We are incorporating geography into our literature program.

Perhaps we just still need to tweak it?

Thanks y'all!

Honestly, I looked at your schedule and thought it wasn't much at all.

Then I looked at your signature block. There's a lot down there that isn't on your schedule.

Have you tried making a schedule with a realistic amount of time for everything you have listed? Like violin? How long does she practice each day? Do you drive to lessons for that too? Once a week? How much time does logic and typing take? How often? Are you using MUS and BJU for math? Doing both each day? How long does that take?

When I tried to block out a 45 minute or hour for each subject, we ran out of time fast and I could see where we had to cut back.

A vague "homeschool/academy homework" doesn't give you (or her) any idea of how long it really should take.

Then I looked at your signature block. There's a lot down there that isn't on your schedule.

Have you tried making a schedule with a realistic amount of time for everything you have listed? Like violin? How long does she practice each day? Do you drive to lessons for that too? Once a week? How much time does logic and typing take? How often? Are you using MUS and BJU for math? Doing both each day? How long does that take?

When I tried to block out a 45 minute or hour for each subject, we ran out of time fast and I could see where we had to cut back.

A vague "homeschool/academy homework" doesn't give you (or her) any idea of how long it really should take.

Agreeing with this.

fwiw, what i do is open google calendar, and start fitting things in.

first i put in outside commitments. then i add the time it takes to get ready and drive to those. and back home again.

then i put in lessons. (dance, violin, etc). i add in the time to get ready, drive, return.

then, i add in meals.

then, i put in chore time, practice time, lesson time.

last year, dd was in grade 8. her day was scheduled from 7am until 9 pm every day and night. this included free time, which is precious and so we blocked it in. her academics + music practice + lessons ran from 8am until 3:30 pm, including 30 minutes for lunch, and happy horizontal hour for reading. (which we counted as free time)

we also counted the hour between finishing and getting read for dance, which started most days at 5pm, as free time. it ran until 8 or 9, except orchestra days which went until 10pm.

but that is what i would do. i'd begin blocking it all in and see what happened. then, i'd move things around until it worked. if it won't work, then i'd start changing curriculum, or moving things around.

fwiw,

ann

Thanks for pointing that out b/c we are quickly not keeping up with what I have listed. I will edit that.

fwiw, what i do is open google calendar, and start fitting things in.

first i put in outside commitments. then i add the time it takes to get ready and drive to those. and back home again.

then i put in lessons. (dance, violin, etc). i add in the time to get ready, drive, return.

then, i add in meals.

then, i put in chore time, practice time, lesson time.

last year, dd was in grade 8. her day was scheduled from 7am until 9 pm every day and night. this included free time, which is precious and so we blocked it in. her academics + music practice + lessons ran from 8am until 3:30 pm, including 30 minutes for lunch, and happy horizontal hour for reading. (which we counted as free time)

we also counted the hour between finishing and getting read for dance, which started most days at 5pm, as free time. it ran until 8 or 9, except orchestra days which went until 10pm.

but that is what i would do. i'd begin blocking it all in and see what happened. then, i'd move things around until it worked. if it won't work, then i'd start changing curriculum, or moving things around.

fwiw,

ann

Ann, This is good. You and I must have been posting at same time b/c I'm just now getting your reply. I like your suggestions. Will re-evaluate and look into using google calendar. That's interesting b/c it does allow ebb and flow of week's that may vary a bit. THANKS!