Menu

Has anyone used a doula?

I'm thinking about one for my upcoming labor. I'm used to having an epidural but last time they couldn't get it in and working. I ended up with stadol, which really helped with managing labor but made me unable to focus on the baby directly after birth. I'm thinking I'll go drug free this time but I'm not sure I can handle it without some help. What has been your experience with doulas?

I had a doula. I absolutely recommend it. My husband is a freaking spazz during labor. He can't handle seeing me in pain.

I loved my doula. She also took birth and first nursing photos. I treasure them. And she was a big time advocate for me. I had a no intervention birth and I did have a few desires. I had to birth in the hospital because I was a VBAC. I did not want a nurse giving dd her first bath. i wanted to. I remember them sort of pressuring me and I started to waver and almost agreed and she piped up and said "oh mom's just going to rest a while and then she's going to bath with the baby or wait until they get home."

Not to mention how awesome she was in labor. I have maintained contact ever since and consider her a life time friend.

ETA: And I had great midwives as well. But a doula is different. She came to my home twice prior, and we visited and went over my birth wishes. She played with my toddler. She called me a couple times and she came to my home to labor with me for a few hours before my water broke and it was time to head in.

I loved my doula. She also took birth and first nursing photos. I treasure them.

Not to mention how awesome she was in labor. I have maintained contact ever since and consider her a life time friend.

:iagree:

Even though my doula missed the birth, she was there to take pictures. The only pictures I have of those first hours. Priceless!

I have also kept contact with her. She will always be a special part of my life :001_smile:

As a doula, my suggestion is to interview doulas in your area to find one who can help you with what you want. IMO, the most important thing when choosing a doula is whether you "click" with her personality-wise, and secondly, that her skill set is reputable. Both are key to wether she will be able to help you during labor.

Try doulamatch.net to find someone near you.

Yes!! I used doulas with my last two and they were well worth every single penny spent! DH was very skeptical at first and kept complaining about the cost. But when he saw her in action and how well everything went, he was sold.

I would interview several of them before you make a decision to make sure you click with whomever you choose. I absolutely adored my first doula - she was a perfect fit. My second was good, but I definitely did not have the same level of rapport with her.

As a doula, my suggestion is to interview doulas in your area to find one who can help you with what you want. IMO, the most important thing when choosing a doula is whether you "click" with her personality-wise, and secondly, that her skill set is reputable. Both are key to wether she will be able to help you during labor.

Try doulamatch.net to find someone near you.

Thanks! I'll look on that website.

I had doulas for my second and third babies. The first wasn't great, but she was some help. I think that wasn't entirely her fault though. THe second doula was totally awesome though, she made such a difference. Even after I ended up with a section, she made arrangements for me to have the baby in the recovery room to nurse, which wasn't usually allowed in that hospital. I'm sure my husband wouldn't have had the forethought or skills to do that.