Menu

Feeling a bit overwhelmed...

OneBusyMomma

I am having the most difficult time deciding on a curriculum for Science and Social Studies. I would like something hands on and something that is simply laid out and well organized. I'm only looking to do these subjects a couple times a week, but I need a guide to follow. Piecing something together isn't going to work for me. I know these subjects aren't as crucial during the kindergarten year, but we are searching for something to start laying a foundation in these subjects.

At this point I am open to suggestions from those with personal experience.

My husband seems to be a fan of Elemental Science/History based on their sample pages, but is also interested in McRuffy's for science. I prefer something more reasonably priced since we aren't going to spend as much time focusing on these subjects as we are Reading, Writing, and Math. We are also open to Bible-base curriculum for these subjects. It is also important to us that the curriculum offer activity/coloring pages based on the topic being studied.

Could you use Magic School Bus as a jumping off point? Or possibly the Let's Read and Find Out series? I am in the process right now of putting together my own curriculum (I'll post it on my blog when I am done) putting these 2 together and adding in some Scholastic eBooks I bought during dollar days. For history, are you looking to start the 4 year cycle or is there a specific time period you wanted to study? History and science at this age can easily be done with library books and adding in some hands on activities (and maybe a few lapbooks or something along those lines).

Could you use Magic School Bus as a jumping off point? Or possibly the Let's Read and Find Out series? I am in the process right now of putting together my own curriculum (I'll post it on my blog when I am done) putting these 2 together and adding in some Scholastic eBooks I bought during dollar days. For history, are you looking to start the 4 year cycle or is there a specific time period you wanted to study? History and science at this age can easily be done with library books and adding in some hands on activities (and maybe a few lapbooks or something along those lines).

Hi Erin!

Is the Scholastic dollar days something they do regularly? I am not familiar with it. For me, it is easier to have something that is laid out and specific. Until her and I both get a better idea on how this homeschool thing works. I want a schedule to base her studies off of. With our Math and Reading/Phonics the TM has a daily guide and I was hoping to find Science and Social Studies with a similar set up. I am not familiar with the 4 year cycle for history. I am open to suggestions on that.

Would something like Little Otter's Science be a good choice? (It's free - http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/science/little_otters_science/little_otters_science.html) I don't know if that is not well enough laid out for you. There is a link to a PDF on the website there that has everything in one PDF document...

As far as social studies, I have no idea.

Would something like Little Otter's Science be a good choice? (It's free - http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/science/little_otters_science/little_otters_science.html) I don't know if that is not well enough laid out for you. There is a link to a PDF on the website there that has everything in one PDF document...

As far as social studies, I have no idea.

That may actually work out. It appears to be laid out quite nicely, especially for being free. Thank you for sharing!!

Hi Erin!

Is the Scholastic dollar days something they do regularly? I am not familiar with it. For me, it is easier to have something that is laid out and specific. Until her and I both get a better idea on how this homeschool thing works. I want a schedule to base her studies off of. With our Math and Reading/Phonics the TM has a daily guide and I was hoping to find Science and Social Studies with a similar set up. I am not familiar with the 4 year cycle for history. I am open to suggestions on that.

Scholastic has dollar days sales a few times a year. They have some great resources you can get for younger children, and at only $1 you can't go wrong. Here are a few I am using to tie into our curriculum:

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/101-science-poems-songs-for-young-learners-mkt45

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/file-folder-games-in-color-science-mkt11324

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/sandwich-bag-science-mkt10153

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/write-read-books-science

As far as history, the 4 year cycle divides history into 4 time periods and you go through them chronologically. It is tricky finding something good for history at the kindergarten age. When my oldest was that age we were using Heart of Dakota, and all of the younger children have just followed along with what he is doing. After Christmas my 1st and 3rd graders will be doing Ancient History using Mystery of History as our spine and adding in picture books and read alouds along the way. American History seems to be popular for that age so you could always do something like read through the Little House on the Prairie series and add in some lapbooks (there are several at CurrClick). Hope that helps a little!

I would like something hands on and something that is simply laid out and well organized.....I need a guide to follow. Piecing something together isn't going to work for me. .... we are searching for something to start laying a foundation in these subjects.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but....

The foundation you are after in K is reading, writing, and mathematics.

ALL you need to do for science in K is read books and go outside. That is it. Your goals:

1) teach your dc to listen to you read science and understand it

2) be excited about science and curious about the world

3) be able to see what is actually there -- to observe their world.

To achieve these goals you need to:

1) get books out of the library on any scientific topic that interests your dc

2) go outside and talk to your dc about what they see. Ask questions, try to answer them. Dig in the dirt. Count birds.

You REALLY don't need more than this. Don't look for a plan. Don't do a curriculum. Just enjoy the wonder of a small child.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

I know this is not what you want to hear, but....

The foundation you are after in K is reading, writing, and mathematics.

ALL you need to do for science in K is read books and go outside. That is it. Your goals:

1) teach your dc to listen to you read science and understand it

2) be excited about science and curious about the world

3) be able to see what is actually there -- to observe their world.

To achieve these goals you need to:

1) get books out of the library on any scientific topic that interests your dc

2) go outside and talk to your dc about what they see. Ask questions, try to answer them. Dig in the dirt. Count birds.

You REALLY don't need more than this. Don't look for a plan. Don't do a curriculum. Just enjoy the wonder of a small child.

Ruth in NZ

:iagree::iagree:

I currently have it on hold at the library and am waiting for it to come available. I am looking forward to reading it.

You may also want to read Well Trained Mind. It has excellent ideas for science notebooking which can be done very inexpensively through the library.

Not to mention that it thoroughly covers the 4-year history cycle.

We use Elemental Science. I find it very quick and easy to do. It is all laid out over either a 5 day or 2 day plan. If you did it over 5 days it would take minutes because we do it over 2 and it takes about 20 minutes a day. My kids enjoy it although I probably should have got the next level up - I started with the very first level and it's too easy - but they still enjoy it.

We use Elemental Science. I find it very quick and easy to do. It is all laid out over either a 5 day or 2 day plan. If you did it over 5 days it would take minutes because we do it over 2 and it takes about 20 minutes a day. My kids enjoy it although I probably should have got the next level up - I started with the very first level and it's too easy - but they still enjoy it.

Thank you for the review!!