Menu

Talk to me about being a music major!

Gwen in VA

Dd2, a junior, wants to major in music in an unusual instrument (organ). She is possibly interested in double-majoring as well, though that is a secondary concern at this point. (She knows that majoring in music is a crazy thing to do, but she has been dedicated enough that at this point we do regard it as inevitable.)

I am following the College Confidential music major forums, but I would love to hear from others with their stories about the process --

1) How did you choose a college? I know that she needs to choose a college that has a good teacher for her instrument and the right courses for her interest. We are in the process of talking with locals who play her instrument, but the advice is more than confusing. Folks want her to attend a denominational college or a local college.... She has her three top choices already picked, but finding backup schools seems to be almost impossible. We have about fifteen schools on a list, and we can't figure out a way to choose any to focus on. (They are all quite far away, so we can only visit the ones she will probably apply to.) Any advice is appreciated!

2) What about the process? I've heard that you visit during spring of junior year and have a lesson with a teacher and then go again to audition in the fall. She is looking mostly at schools that are many hundreds of miles away, so this would be both expensive and time-consuming. Is this really how "real" people do this process? (I have visions of $$$ dancing in my head, and she has visions of not being able to continue taking classes at the CC because of absences to visit colleges.....)

3) I know that academics aren't "that" important for a music major, but I have problems sending my kid to a school where the academics are ridiculously low. Do I just need to get over this?

4) Any comments on the audition process?

Thanks! I thought I would know what I was doing by the time #4 went through the process, but music seems to be an entirely different ballgame!

Not a music major here, but my suitemate was so I know a little bit. There was a girl in the music program at my college {U. of the Incarnate Word, fwiw} who did major in organ / pipe organ as her primary instrument. They had a hard time finding an instructor for her at first, since it was not a main instrument.

I can't answer most of your questions, but as to worrying about cc while away visiting universities, it's mostly considered an excused absence {or was when I was in cc}. She'll need to speak with her professors, explain why she's going to be out, and get any work either from the professor or another trustworthy student.

FWIW, the same student I mentioned above put herself through college at a 40k a year school by playing the organ for weddings & church services.

A few general ideas for an organ student (these may or may not be a good fit for your daughter)

1. Talk early and often with organ teachers. Get their recommendations. It is a world where connections matter and she would be well advised to get professional guidance on schools and what will best prepare her for auditions.

2. If she's applying nationally and is serious about scholarships she may want to think about pursuing a summer program. Here are a couple of examples: http://camp.interlochen.org/scholarship-opportunity-interlochen-organ-scholar http://new.oberlin.edu/office/summer-programs/organists/

3. More so than with many instruments, organ has some specific scholarship opportunities particularly from religious schools that need to have organists available to play for services. Here are a couple of examples: Hope College - see the profile of the bottom student on the right, http://hope.edu/giving/scholarships1.html Holy Cross http://academics.holycross.edu/music/scholarships

DD18 is a music major. She picked schools by contacting the music departments (usually via email) and getting information on their program. She ended up going with the school that made her the best offer, which was her #2 choice.

Plan on auditioning. We are a long way from everywhere too, so that meant budgeting for airfare. DD never visited the schools before her auditions due to the airfare costs, and actually she ended up attending a school that she had never visited (visiting professor auditioned her at a master class here and she sent a CD back with him for the rest of the board).

As far as academics - music majors mostly take music classes. DD18 has 17 credits this semester - all music except for one psych course. She met with her advisor last week and they planned out her course load for the following years - mostly music with a few other classes.

And where other kids have homework - DD18 practices. 4-5 hours a day outside of her classes, 8-10 hours over the weekend. She has repetoire to learn for various bands, ear training, key board practice (her main instrument is saxophone). She wouldn't have time for a heavy academic load and keep up with the required music stuff.

Not a crazy thing to do! Between performing and teaching (esp. privately) one can make a very nice living and have VERY flexible hours. There are not many jobs you can do 1 hour per week or 50. It was perfect for me. Now I'm on homeschooling sabbatical from teaching music. :)

Granted, my college applications were filled out in 1984, but I think I still have some advice left in me. :)

I chose my music school by the teacher. As a music major, the bulk of her time will be spent practicing (my private lessons on my main instrument were actually 1/3rd my course load!). You will spend a lot of time with that teacher and have a close relationship, so picking the right one is very important.

Many large music schools hold regional additions. I auditioned for Indiana University and Oberlin in Los Angeles. I visited Stanford in person since that wasn't far. Two other schools accepted videotaped auditions. I think IU and Oberlin would have also had I not been near one of their regional auditions.

Re. academics, I would definitely NOT want to send my child to a place where the academics were ridiculously low. Yes, the bulk of time will be spent doing music (especially if one is pursuing a B.M. degree as opposed to a B.S. or B.A. in music). But other disciplines, especially history, English, and foreign languages, directly inform one's study of music. Certain business classes can also be useful because many musicians go on to make a "business" of themselves.

That's all I can think of right now. Good luck!

Wow -- only one or two non-music classes per semester! I need to look over courses/schedules/degree requirements carefully!:confused:

I'm dreading all of the trips, but I am hearing that we need to make sure that dd ends up with the "right" teacher. Thanks to those of you who emphasized that.....

And I appreciate the mention of Hope College. I keep on hearing about it and then crossing it off the list and hearing about it again. I think I'll keep it on the list for a while this time!

Yup, summer programs are great! Dd went to one last summer (POE-A) and is planning on going to two this summer (both relatively short ones). A good way to connect with the organ community.

Any other ideas/thoughts are appreciated!

UNCG (Greensboro) is highly respected for its music and theater majors, but I don't know anything specifically about the keyboard/organ curriculum. During the scholarship process, the majority of the out of state students we met were music majors, and they came from all over the US. One of dd18's friends is a voice major there, so I can pass on any specific questions you have.

Here is a link to the organ teacher.

http://performingarts.uncg.edu/faculty-and-staff/andr%C3%A9-lash

And a link to the music dept.

http://performingarts.uncg.edu/music

Edited by LizzyBee

And I appreciate the mention of Hope College. I keep on hearing about it and then crossing it off the list and hearing about it again. I think I'll keep it on the list for a while this time!

It is a nice supportive liberal arts college - especially strong in sciences.

There's a mom here with a son at Hope and I'm sure she can answer any questions.

has been ramping up its organ collection in the decade since we moved into the area. You can read about it here:

Eastman Organ Initiative

Not to mention that it's a pretty fantastic music school, attached to a strong research Uni. We love UR!

Here's another link that lists their organs:

list of organs

BTW, I was a music major, and chose my school after meeting with the teacher in my major for a lesson. I got a great vibe at that initial meeting and I wasn't wrong. :)

Edited by Jen in NY

Hi, Gwen!

You've gotten good advice here and no doubt know more than I do. My dd is a high school senior who wants to major in music ed, and we're looking at schools now. She has a short list. I got in touch w/ a college music prof about 18 months ago after writing him an email after seeing him as a guest conductor. We'd just been to Symphony Hall and saw the BSO and we'd seen Hugh Wolff conduct Joshua Bell at the Kennedy Center a while back, but this guy conducted FROM MEMORY! We were impressed. So, yeah, I wrote him. And I mentioned that my dc play violin, and he wrote back offering help should they need it. We took him up on it! Though that was never my intention when I first wrote him.

Anyway, that turned into our meeting w/ him and his arranging a sample lesson w/ a professor who gives private instruction. She has remained in contact w/ dd, inviting her to master classes on campus and she recently arranged for dd to shadow a music ed major, meet w/ an admissions officer and told her to bring her violin to play along w/ the students at a rehearsal for one of the college's ensembles. Wow! (Maybe she gets a set of steak knives if she recruits enough students? Just kidding. We know a freshman who has her for private music instruction and she's really helpful. She takes a personal interest in her students. Nice.)

I'm not sure if going to a non-accredited music school would hurt one's chances of getting into a grad school, and my dd isn't thinking grad school right now, but we don't want to close that door for her, so this site was helpful in weeding out colleges and unis whose music schools aren't accredited. (DD called a school two years ago and asked if they were accredited and they didn't know. :001_huh: Glad we found that site.) Scroll to the bottom and search by state or school name.

About the B.M., fewer gen ed classes is one thing that really appeals to my dd. She figured out that 83% of her classes would be in music. She can't wait to take aural theory, written theory, composition, conducting, etc. She'll tolerate the gen eds she has to take, but give that girl music and she's happy.

I'm rambling, but I wanted to share that link. Camps are great. And one camp my dc go to is held in a church. The organist helps out and teaches them. Perhaps contacting lots of churches would turn up some helpful info and networking possibilities for organists too.

Edited by Angie in VA

Gwen,

Yes, degree requirements for a music major are usually at least 50% music classes.

We know of one that only requires 33% music classes! And it's an accredited music school! But it's B.A. in music, not a B.M. At least it's easier to double major.

Gwen,

Music majors also tend to have more credits per semester because of private lessons, ensembles and band, orchestra or choir.

Don't forget the things that are required but for which students aren't awarded credit: attending masterclasses, and concerts and 2 hours/day 6 days/week rehearsal for private instruction classes!

Lots of Virginia girls here. :D

Edited by Angie in VA
Correction

BM in Voice performance here (Class of '83). From my experience as to classes, I was required to take only 1 semester of English Comp, no science, math or any of those other "core classes" that were required for a BA-Music. So if I decided to return to school, I'd basically have to start as a freshman.

The tough thing w/a music major is that so many of your required courses are 1 credit (but meet 3x week) or req. tons of individual practice or labs. As a keyboard major (of any sort) she'll probably be required to do some accompanying which will require additional outside practices, etc.

My 2 cents: I always hesitate to recommend anyone pursue a performance major since you spend the same 4 yrs for a Bach degree that doesn't really prepare you for that "day job" so many performers need. To get the gigs it all comes down to your resume which you can get while getting a more marketable degree w/a minor in music.

Thanks for the reminder that music classes may take a LOT more time than shows up in the credit count. I'm used to dealing with science and engineering classes, which take a lot of time but the students also get lots of credit for labs, etc.

Yup, Eastman's organ program looks pretty amazing. Hopefully dd will get to attend a program there next summer.

Thank you all. I appreciate just hearing people's ruminations. This is such a new (and scary) area for me! Any other thoughts are appreciated!