Menu

What should I do in this situation, if anything?

Ds did not do well on his chemistry test (only 61%:confused:). We had an oral pretest yesterday. He nailed the information, including equations that he worked out on paper. I don't understand why when he took the written test today he got many of the exact same questions (in content, not wording) wrong that he got right yesterday. So. . . now what? Does his written test stand? Do I give him another test? I don't think he has test anxiety but perhaps he does? (He doesn't show any outward anxiety.) It was a chapter test.

Have you sat down with him and discussed the grade? What did he say? Lack of sleep? Stress? Brain fog? ;)

I would offer him another (revised 2.0 version) of the test to take. And use the grade of that test. If it gets to be a pattern... then, that is a whole other story. Good luck!

I would give him another chance either by making a new test or have him correct the first test until it is absolutely perfect (in showing work etc) and move on. Count all future tests. Especially if it was the first test in a new course.

We recently had to do this with DS for a NEM2 exam. He breezed through exam 1 in under a half hour, showed no work, and did not bother to answer things in the right format--fractions instead of decimals etc. He was close on some but graded properly around 60%. He spent a couple hours correcting it until it was perfect--I made him fix each one until it was right without my telling him what was wrong. In all honesty it was an awful session but it paid off. We just did the second exam, after about an 1 1/2 hours he gave me a perfect test paper -- well 1 format issue but because work was shown, it made sense, and I gave credit. He deseved it because showing work is a huge issue with him.

Definitely have a discussion with him about it and see what he has to say. Don't be cross. Try to make it an open discussion. There's obviously something he didn't get into long term memory (it may have been in short term memory or only connected via certain, specific, terminology that wasn't repeated). Try to fill in the gaps. This can partially be done by redoing the test fixing what was wrong. It could also help to look for other examples to work through online.

Once he's mastered the material - truly mastered it - then move on.

As for the grade? To me (and I know I tend to be "different") grades only show whether a student has mastered a material or if there are gaps to be filled in. I use grades as tools, not punishment or reward. At the end of the course the real grade ends up coming via a final exam of mastery.

For our portfolio, test grades were kept and shown along the way, but I'd have kept and shown the redone test after gaps were filled in.

NOT having to keep pushing on in a course when there is some misunderstanding or lack of understanding is my #1 love with homeschooling. It's the #1 problem with ps.

Some have "warned" me that my kids wouldn't be prepared for college. That hasn't happened. Mine have been more prepared for college IMO as they have a great foundational knowledge. Kids from ps (or other places) where they are forced to move on without having the knowledge are those who end up unprepared for college.

Just my two cents... keep or ignore as desired.

Was his trouble in writing out essay question answers? (Or just equations?) Is it writing vs. talking? One of my children can answer questions orally very well, but flops when having to write them out. I could easily see this happening with him.

Does he have issues with writing in other areas? If not, disregard.

Thank you everyone. Dh (his chemistry tutor), looked over the test last night. His problem was with equations. He understood and did well on all the conceptual questions. We are going to take the time to go over the formulas and math procedures more carefully. I agree, Creekland, about the benefit of being able to slow down to really learn material.