Menu

Cheapest casual use and emergency cell I have found so far

Just thought I would share as this topic has come up several times.

My parents use about 200 minutes per year at most. My older two boys use a few more, but they also like to occasionally text me instead of call.

I have ATT Gophone for the boys right now and T-mobile pay as you go for my parents. However, ATT GoPhone is $25 every 3 months for 250 minutes, so 1000 per year (and $100 per year). T-moible is .33 per minute for their $10 every 90 day plan. I have not been particularly happy with either plan.

In Demember, when all 4 plans above (4 lines) are running out of time, I will be switching all of them to this plan:

http://www.spotmobile.com/rates.aspx

$5 every 90 days is the lowest plan there is. It is a true .10 per min. and .05 per text plan (unlike T-mobile that is tiered).

I called them yesterday to ask some questions.

1. New SIMs will be available Oct 15th.

2. Any unlocked ATT phone or T-mobile based phone can be used.

3. No roaming charges. They use T-mobile towers but can use ATT if T-mobile isn't available.

4. You must make ONE voice call within the 90 day period for your minutes to roll over to the next 90 days.

5. Customer service actually answered and was friendly!

Edited by DawnM

I'm missing something. It's still early here. :tongue_smilie: The chart has different levels of pay-as-you-go plans but what is the difference between the $5 plan and the $30 plan. They both say $0.10/min. Are any minutes at all included?

I've been looking for something to switch one of our phones to. My dh insists on keeping two phones. One with a local number and one with a number from the state where we used to live. He's gets like one call every three months on that phone. I hate paying that bill every month!

Yes, all minutes are included in the payment you make.

So, if you fill with $5 for 90 days you get 50 min of voice calls or 100 text messages, or a combination of both.

If you fill with $30 for 90 days, you get 300 min of voice calls or 600 text messages, or a combination of both.

Dawn

I'm missing something. It's still early here. :tongue_smilie: The chart has different levels of pay-as-you-go plans but what is the difference between the $5 plan and the $30 plan. They both say $0.10/min. Are any minutes at all included?

I've been looking for something to switch one of our phones to. My dh insists on keeping two phones. One with a local number and one with a number from the state where we used to live. He's gets like one call every three months on that phone. I hate paying that bill every month!

Oh that makes complete sense now! :lol:

Yes, all minutes are included in the payment you make.

So, if you fill with $5 for 90 days you get 50 min of voice calls or 100 text messages, or a combination of both.

If you fill with $30 for 90 days, you get 300 min of voice calls or 600 text messages, or a combination of both.

Dawn

Thank you for posting this. I have been thinking of getting an emergency use only cell for the several times a year DH and I are both out of town at the same time. Currently we only have one cell and whoever has the children usually gets it. This is an excellent price!

That is what we are finding too. It isn't too expensive and minute roll over, but if you don't use them, you rack up tons of minutes you will never use.

$1.66/mo to maintain a phone line is PERFECT for our needs and if they need a few more, $3.33/mo is still fantastic.

Dawn

Thank you for this! We got a GoPhone for the kids to use when they are away at an activity, but the cost to add minutes when we don't use it much is expensive (the minutes expire).