Menu

LOE Beta Testing open again

Shelsi

Just an FYI for anyone that missed out previously. She's opened up 100 more spots.

I've been using it since mid-August and personally I love it. I wish it had existed a few years ago when my oldest was in kindy as well. He often sits in on dd's lesson because he likes it too.

http://www.logicofenglish.com/store/beta-testing/

My dd has done really well with it. She knew the alphabet and most of the letters first sounds but was not reading at all. Now she's spelling words like "lamp, flat, cats" and starting to read fairly well. I started her on cursive and her handwriting is pretty nice too although she already had fine motor skills beyond the average 5 yr old. However my 3rd grader who has dysgraphia is using LOE's cursive curriculum and not only does his handwriting look absolutely beautiful but there are no tears shed while he's working on it.

Is it for Essentials or Foundations? I googled and it looks like there is beta testing for Foundations (a new K program). Not sure though... :confused:

Yes, it is for the Kindergarten program they are creating.

I just ordered it and it looks really, really good.

So is the beta version a reduced price of $50?

I'm sure $50 is much cheaper than the finished product will be. You'll need to print off a bunch of stuff for the beta version though - you don't get any hard-copy things so all the pages need to be printed. The early beta testers that started back in August will get a free hard copy of the TM if they send in a certain number of feedback forms. The new beta testers that she just opened it up to will not receive the hard copy.

What is the pacing of the lessons supposed to be on this?

Also, is there any word on the finished length. I thought I read that there was to be 180 lessons and the first 10 is 50 pages for the teacher portion! I'm also thinking that I read for the already released curriculum the pacing was to be a lesson every week or two, but it seems that obviously the pacing must be expected to be quicker than that this time.

I'm using essentials for DD8, and have just started at a much slower pace for DS5. He is already writing in manuscript all his lower case letters and can read cvc and words with basic consonant blends, plus stuff from lesson 2 of essentials (ee, th, ng). I'm guessing he may be beyond a lot of the foundations K level - Can someone who already has this beta lend any insight?

We are Beta testing the K program, so I will try to help...

We are only on lesson 7 - we are working at a pretty slow pace because DD is 4 and pretty resistant to the idea of learning to read. :glare:

The first week has been about Phonemic awareness - learning about voiced and unvoiced sounds, and trying to hear the different sounds in words. They also work on learning the basic handwriting strokes, which they then put together in lesson 7 ( for the cursive workbook, anyway) to make a letter 'A'.

My oldest son is using LOE Essentials, which moves a lot faster and doesn't have the Phonemic awareness exercises. I guess if my child knew all the letter sounds and basic blending, I would just start in Essentials and work at a slower pace. Let me know if you have any other questions, I have the K curric. Printed out through lesson 40, so I can always look ahead for you. :)

My son is also writing in manuscript and is reading CVC words and 2 consonant blends. I bought it last night and have looked at it some today and I think he will get a lot from it. We were using OPGTTR and we just finished lesson 63 if that helps.

It's so hard to judge on whether or not it will be helpful for someone. What I can say is that my dd just finished lesson 38 and today she wrote, "yes, bump, stump" for her spelling words and got them all right without any assistance from me other than reminding her to segment the words first. So she's doing CVC words and blending.

When we started she knew most of the first sounds of the alphabet and was not reading at all. She just turned 5 at the end of July so she's a young kindergartner.

My 3rd grader, who reads just slightly above his grade-level, actually loves dd's curriculum. I was surprised but he's learned a lot by joining in on the phonemic awareness activities and he's now finally able to say the 2 sounds of /th/ whereas before it always came out as an /f/ sound and would therefore mess up his spelling. I'm actually scraping together the money to buy Essentials for him because of how helpful Foundations has been.

Both my kids LOVE the games and honestly so do I. Dd easily learned all the first 26 phonograms just from using the games. I can incorporate writing fairly easy as well when I feel she needs some extra practice (for example, today when they were playing phonogram memory I made the rule that they had to say the sounds & write the phonogram before they could claim the match).

My 3rd grader is using the LOE cursive handwriting program and for the first time ever he doesn't sob/cry/weep/go into hysterics when asked to practice handwriting or write a few answers for something. Not only that he's actually proud of his handwriting.

Dd is doing the cursive handwriting instruction through the beta K Foundations program and her handwriting is coming along really nicely as well.

I really don't have any complaints about the program so far and I plan to use Essentials next year for 1st grade with dd. The only slight issue for dd is that every lesson is a little bit different with different activities. She has a hard time with change of any kind but generally I would say the different activities are a huge plus for most kids and would have been with my 3rd grader.

Edited by Shelsi

It's so tempting, but also hard to spend another $50 when I keep feeling like I must have all the key information I need somewhere in the Essentials program to teach a younger student also.

DS5 is a quick learner in general...I think at this point if I could magically make anything I could imagine appear, it would be a quick reference to what the reasoning/rule/say-to-spell is for all the "tricky" words that I can't obviously see how the phonogram sounds explain them (like what's up with "who"? Why is the w in the wh phonogram silent there). Because for everything that follows the typical phonogram sounds on the cards, I can teach those! But DS wants to get reading a bit more complex books, and I would love to jump-start him so to speak with teaching the logic behind a lot of the words other curricula just treat as sight words.