Menu

No one ever talks about Lial's Algebra or BJU

I used Lial's with my 2nd son - Introductory Algebra 7th edition. It worked well; he is naturally math adept. I like Lial's, but won't be using it with my next 2 boys because of maturity issues. Lial's is written for a college student, hence it is less engaging for a younger student.

I haven't used BJU, but cannot imagine what they would leave out in regards to math...my only BJU experience has been with their history and biology. The biology was very good, IMO, even with the religious slant. We often discussed where our beliefs differed from the text or where we weren't so adamant about an issue. But I would think Algebra would be Algebra :-)

I don't know of anything that BJU leaves out because of their religious slant. They do, for instance, include instruction on probablility and statistics.

There are "features" within most (all?) chapters which attempt to make a connection to a Biblical principle that I often find a bit of a stretch. You can always just skip those.

My daughter used Lial's Beginning Algebra for Algebra I and Lial's Intermediate Algebra for Algebra II with a year in the middle for Jacobs' Geometry. We've been pleased with Lial's. After all that, she tested into College Algebra at the local community college.

Regards,

Kareni

and it is a very good algebra textbook, although I agree with the other poster that said it is geared towards college students. Our community college uses it as a remedial algebra program for students who need additional work in algebra before taking other math coursework at the community college. That doesn't mean it's inferior! Some of the word problems can be more difficult.

It's worked well for our girls; they've had to work hard, going through Lial's, but it has a lot of resources (i.e., a complete student solutions manual and DVT's--digital video tutors).

Lial's hasn't disappeared, and neither has BJU math. Both are discussed frequently on these boards. HTH!

I used Bob Jones for Algebra I and won't be using that one again. The only thing I found that they seem to have left out was an explanation for how they came up with some of their answers. This would have greatly helped me teach my kids. Instead, I had to pretty much figure out how they came up with some of the answers on my own, and I just don't have time for that. I have a Lial's book, but it looked like too much. I may pull that out and try with that next time. What I thought I would probably really do was go with Math U See. I'm using that for Algebra II this year, and if I like it, I'll probably use it for Alg I with my next kids.

I'm surprised you'd say no one ever talks about either of these programs; they're discussed a good bit, imo. My oldest son, who turned 13 in June, is using Lial's Introductory Algebra just now. This is on the heels of Lial's Basic College Math. The fact that the texts are aimed at college students hasn't been a problem for him at all. I do think a student should be able to work well independently in order to succeed with these, though.