Menu

People using K12's Human Odyssey... how is it going?

We are loving it. My dd reads the book chapter, does any assignments from the student book that I liked, and then she looks up online anything that caught her interest. She looooves it and we end up googling all sorts of rabbit trails. I plan on having her do a history project each semester. She also listens to the CD talks by Diana Waring and sits in on the elementary history the younger ones are doing. Plus I've picked out a few historical novels for the year. I like it so much I've already bought the next book with student pages for next year.:)

We are loving it. My dd reads the book chapter, does any assignments from the student book that I liked, and then she looks up online anything that caught her interest. She looooves it and we end up googling all sorts of rabbit trails. I plan on having her do a history project each semester. She also listens to the CD talks by Diana Waring and sits in on the elementary history the younger ones are doing. Plus I've picked out a few historical novels for the year. I like it so much I've already bought the next book with student pages for next year.:)

Glad to hear your experience. I already bought K12 Human Odyssey Volume 1 to use in 6th. Where did you get the student book, if I may ask?

In the other thread about K12 I had posted that we weren't really loving it, just liking it. BUT........I think it is going much better now for some reason. My daughter said "she loves History" this week and hadn't said that yet before, so something must be working. I think Mesopotamia just might have been a little lacking in the excitement department, so that may have been some of it. We just talked about Indus River and China (and I don't plan on going into much more detail on those right now) and briefly introduced Egypt, so now we are back to Mesopotamia (just did Akkadians) and we will move onto Egypt again next week probably. We were going to outline from the book (and we still may, but DD is just starting to learn about outlining), but we have been taking notes instead. I think that has really helped.

We are using it in 5th and it is going well. NOT great, as DS is a sloooow reader, particularly for non-fiction and it takes him a long time to get through each chapter (we do a chapter a week). He then does narration work and timeline work, and uses other book as needed. We are incorporating graphic organizers and popup cards and notebooking whic reaally helps retention.

I thin the transition from "mom reading aloud" which I had been doing up til last year and "reading to oneself" is tough for him, but he is a very audio (audial?) learner.

I bought the student pages on Amazon. It's called Intermediate World History A: Student Pages (Semesters one and two)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BKJ6XU/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00 This is a link to it. I found the student pages and teachers guide for book 2 sold as a set on Amazon as well. I only paid about 15 bucks for each though. Keep an eye on it - the price goes up and down. :)

I bought the student pages on Amazon. It's called Intermediate World History A: Student Pages (Semesters one and two)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BKJ6XU/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00 This is a link to it. I found the student pages and teachers guide for book 2 sold as a set on Amazon as well. I only paid about 15 bucks for each though. Keep an eye on it - the price goes up and down. :)

Thank you!

My 6th grade ds actually enjoying it, even asking to do history. Like the previous poster, we use selected student pages. I purchased them used from these boards last year.

:iagree:

Same here, my DS really likes reading HO. We're also using certain selections from the Student Pages book, ignoring the things that seem like just busy work. As I mentioned in the World in Ancient Times thread, we've tried both HO and WIAT-Egypt, but HO is the clear winner here. I've already bought volume 2 for next year and I usually don't buy that far ahead.

Unfortunately, not working out for us. We got bogged down by the initial chapters. I thought skipping ahead to the Indus Valley civilization might help, along with using the student pages for ideas and it was okay for about a week. Have now decided to sell mine. :tongue_smilie:

I don't know what it is exactly...can't put my finger on the reason. I liked the book when I first looked at it. And the boy likes history but he seems to prefer learning it audio-visually (documentaries, audiobooks, great courses) and reading the occasional historical fiction/ non-fiction book from the library. I guess I shouldn't have tried to fix what wasn't broken. :tongue_smilie:

Works for us so far. Reading and later going back and having him narrate some pages. All the activities -whether sotw, history odyssey or whatever - no go. I didn't particularly like the teacher's manual so not even using it. We like the book though.

Is going well for us. I'm not sure I'd say my kids love it, but I think they are learning. They are math/science kids, so that's about all I can ask for! We read a chapter one day(independently), then the next day we pick two or three people or events to make a notebook page summary on. We also pick dates and events to put on their timelines. Periodically I add in some map work if its necessary. We did all four SOTW with activities and student pages. They remember quite a bit, so I'm letting this time around be lighter.