Menu

So, how do you make school more Math oriented?

Please realize that I have hardly any math background. I think I probalby had the minimum number of standard high school math classes (but I don't really remember). I had several math classes in college including stats. For every single college math class I had a tutor from day one to the final exam. So, I am myself very weak in math and not at all knowledgeable about how to plan for it.

I have always thought of my daughter as really pretty mathy. All I've done to foster that is just try to choose good math programs. We started with Singapore and moved to Chalkdust for Algebra 1 this year.

Last night, in a discussion with my husband and daughter we all thought that math could be more than just math class. Sure, she takes a math per year but . . . what else is there? I mean, I can see taking latin, gk, and german b/c one doesn't build on another. But, how can math be intensified? I don't really see doubling down on courses.

How can I plan a more mathy education for my daughter? She wants to be a mechanical engineer (and a bunch of other stuff including religious life!).

Edited by BibleBeltCatholicMom

You can a) make sure to select a strong math program and b) choose a science program that uses math.

We are using AoPS for math. Probably the program with the widest scope and most challenging problems; great for students who like and are good at math and do well with a discovery based method.

For science, my kids start their high school sequence with algebra/trig based physics. Using math in science class constantly reinforces and reviews and also gives the student a different perspective on applications. We follow with chemistry which uses math through algebra 2, and calculus based physics later in high school (an excellent way of understanding calculus conceptually).

You might also consider adding some books about math such as:

The Lady Tasting Tea: How Statistics Revolutionized Science in the Twentieth Century by David Salsburg

Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea by Charles Seife

In Code: A Mathematical Journey by Sarah Flannery

Books by John Allen Paulos

Here's a list I found on Amazon. And one more list.

Regards,

Kareni

Regentrude suggestions are great. If she wants to spend more time on math, she could also begin geometry now. She doesn't necessarily have to even finish it this year, but could continue doing it concurrently with algebra 2 next year. This would allow her continuity with the algebra, instead of interrupting it with geometry, and would put her ahead another year which will help with preparing for sciences and giving more time for the math needed for engineering. Yes they can graduate high school with just pre-calc, but being further along would definitely be to her benefit. And if she loves math, it will also be fun.

Personally, I'd focus on having her complete a good math program (like Chalkdust) each year. Also using science courses for Chemistry & Physics that use math will help strengthen her math skills.

If math/science are areas of interest, you might look at The Great Courses for DVDs on one or both topics of interest to her. We are currently watching "Understanding the World's Greatest Structures" and "Calculus Made Clear". Both are very good, but "Structures" is just phenomenal.

Both of my kids will probably head into tech fields, and while I've always thought that math & science are important, I've also come to believe that a strong humanities background in high school is critical. Most tech colleges & unis aren't well known for strong humanities courses, and most tech majors don't take many humanities courses, so that Ancient History or Economics course your child takes in high school might be their last introduction to those topics.

HTH,

Brenda

in my advanced math classes in high school i actually had to write some papers about more unusual math concepts - i remember writing a paper about non-euclidean geometry during geometry, for instance. you could also add some logic from the critical thinking company. You could also have her read the life of fred books on top of the curriculum you are using - LOF is easy to read but the problems take it a bit further. I'm using them for review for my teen

I'd ask her whether she might be interested in math contests - that might open up a whole new perspective on math. (ETA, for more about this perspective, read Rusczyk's 2009 lecture on problem solving.) There are books and on-line courses for contest prep at AoPS, and of course one doesn't need to even compete to take such a class, though naturally a competition provides a fun goal.

In addition, perhaps she might be interested in math courses outside the standard curriculum; e.g., AoPS has both books and classes for number theory and counting & probability.

She could also play around on Alcumus, AoPS' free on-line problem-solving practice program.

Edited by wapiti