Menu

CM Memory System... In a binder?

three4me

We've been using the Charlotte Mason memory system with note cards in a box for a few months now. But my toddler is constantly making a mess of it if it gets left out and I'm tired of putting it all back together! I seem to remember reading somewhere on the boards of someone who did the same system, only in a three-ring binder. I'd love to hear more about that, and how you make the system work. Do you move the pages around every day? Or do you somehow keep track a different way? If anyone has used a binder for their CM memory work then can you tell me how you do it? Photos would be awesome, too!

Thanks!

I use a binder for my memory work based on the SCM system.

I have dividers in my notebook based on topic (Bible, Hymns, Catechism, Other, Poetry) Each item in the section is numbered. So, I use the hymn numbers or the level.number of the poem (we use IEW's poetry), or the verse reference, or if it is a list in science (e.g. the planets in the solar system are one memory item), etc.

The first page behind each divider is this form (pm me your email and I'll send the word doc). I put the number of the item and just move the number. through the system.

There are some things (catechism & poetry) where not all three children are in the same place, so for those they each have their own page which moves the numbers down through the system. This way I only have to have one set of the memory work.

HTH

Thanks :) I think I can picture it...sort of! How exactly do you "move the number" through the form? Do you write and erase? Use a sticky note? Or am I getting this completely wrong? :)

I use a pen and cross out. I like to have a record of how it proceeded through the system in case I lose track somehow. I write small :)

I'll try to take a picture tomorrow of one ... headed to bed now.

I'm tweaking the CM binder system using index card binders that I bought at Walmart. Here are some pics. We have a very simple system. Memory work that's been mastered, memory work to study, and I make up cards that they must put in order. It helps to cement the phrase in their heads.

018.jpg[/img]

019.jpg[/img]

020.jpg[/img]

021.jpg[/img]

022.jpg[/img]

024.jpg[/img]

If you run a search here for "mnemosyne," a WTM poster has put together a cute printable of the dividers you'd need for doing the SCM memory system in a binder.

Thanks! I'll see if I can find it :)

ETA: I've been searching for a few minutes, but I can't find it! Can anyone help me out?

Edited by CamilikinsMama

We use a binder. I don't really know what you mean by "move thing around every day". Are the things you are memorizing only taking you a day to memorize or are you using it a little differently?

We use our binder just like we did the 3x5 cards. I like the binder because I can print things out instead of write them all out by hand. A binder also holds a lot more. I simply place our pages into page protectors and slip them in where they belong.

Right now under daily I have what my girls are memorizing (Exodus 20:2-17, Little Boy Blue), and what my son is memorizing (Romans 2:23, days of the week, months of the year). All this would be way too much to write out on little cards! When they are done memorizing one or sum of these, they simply move back in the binder to odd or even, etc.

I use a binder for my memory work based on the SCM system.

I have dividers in my notebook based on topic (Bible, Hymns, Catechism, Other, Poetry) Each item in the section is numbered. So, I use the hymn numbers or the level.number of the poem (we use IEW's poetry), or the verse reference, or if it is a list in science (e.g. the planets in the solar system are one memory item), etc.

The first page behind each divider is this form (pm me your email and I'll send the word doc). I put the number of the item and just move the number. through the system.

There are some things (catechism & poetry) where not all three children are in the same place, so for those they each have their own page which moves the numbers down through the system. This way I only have to have one set of the memory work.

HTH

I think this would work better for us than the box does.

So you don't need to move any pages, just turn to the right page(s) for that child and day, right?

I'll pm you. Will you send me the form too?

Looks like you have just four days of the week slots, between the odd/even and the numbered days? I find we can get five days in but never more. Four might be more realistic. ;)

So you don't need to move any pages, just turn to the right page(s) for that child and day, right?

Correct. With three children, I wanted to only have one set of the "content." But numbering it, I'm able to keep the content together without moving it from section to section. I liked the structure of the system for learning and review, but we had our box of cards dropped once ... which was one time too many. Plus, this allows us to work on long selections; we're working on Philippians 2:1-18 right now, that would never fit on an index card.

I'll pm you. Will you send me the form too?

Certainly.

Looks like you have just four days of the week slots, between the odd/even and the numbered days? I find we can get five days in but never more. Four might be more realistic. ;)

I do. We can generally manage four days of Circle Time, which is when we do memory work. One day a week off gives us some flexibility for sleeping in or field trips or cranky Mommy days ;)

Here are some pictures of my memory work binder. One other thing, I put all of our memory work in sheet protectors and use tabby postit stickers to mark the pages. I even took apart my Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization book and put those pages in sheet protectors.

The first one is our binder. Second is my oldest daughter's page for catechism; we do sections of questions until the day-to-day when I separate them to question by question (so the context doesn't help her remember the answers, so mean I am). Third is our page of hymns that we've worked on. On the back, I wrote the list out with the hymn numbers.

Hmmm ... I'll see if I can find somewhere else to put the pictures. BRB

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0888.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

Edited by ladydusk

[quote=ladydusk;4384040

DROOL!!! Love this!

I always wanted to do the CM method, but got stuck with trying to figure out how to skip the Sundays and Saturdays. I think this method will be able to be altered well for that. :-D

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by lcelmer