Algebra II (1)

Government (1/2)

Economics (1/2)

Intro to Physics (1/2 at least)

Graphic Design (1/2)

Personal Finance (1/2)

Guitar (1/2)

5 units

In my state, 40 credits are required for regular diploma, 47 for Honors Diploma (with some other requirements such as AP's, IB's, or dual credit, etc). So, I am presuming that each of the above is 1 semester's work, and the work is done both semesters (double the "unit" listed?).

Freshman

English I (1)

Pre-Algebra (1)

World History (1)

Physical Science (1)

Spanish (1)

Old Testament Survey (1)

Speech/Drama (1/2)

Home Economics (1)

Physical Education (1/2)

8 units

I'm not sure what kind of feedback you're looking for, but most colleges won't accept Pre-Algebra as a high school credit. You might need to consider an alternate math depending on your dc's college/s of choice and/or state graduation requirements.

In my state, 40 credits are required for regular diploma, 47 for Honors Diploma (with some other requirements such as AP's, IB's, or dual credit, etc). So, I am presuming that each of the above is 1 semester's work, and the work is done both semesters (double the "unit" listed?).

Our state requires public school graduates to have 24 credits. This does not apply to private, parochial, or home schools.

Even in states that do not regulate the coursework of home school grads it is worth considering how that diploma will be view by colleges. If colleges expect to see a certain number of credits in various subjects a transcript that doesn't have some similarity to what they expect might not get a second look.

Is this something you have done or something you are planning to do? Are you looking for feedback or offering it as an example? If it is an example, what are your children doing now?

Welcome to the high school board!

Nan

You're short in math. Almost every university requires more math. Pre-alg isn't high school level. Most students headed to uni will have had alg in 9th at least, many in 8th grade. Chem is going to be hard to do with only geometry. It's possible to double up on the math and do 3 credits in 2 years.

If you look at this post http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=431526 you can see that the student is a sr and she is asking for help for post-high school.

I'm not sure what kind of feedback you're looking for, but most colleges won't accept Pre-Algebra as a high school credit. You might need to consider an alternate math depending on your dc's college/s of choice and/or state graduation requirements.

We school year round. He will be getting Trig as well.

Even in states that do not regulate the coursework of home school grads it is worth considering how that diploma will be view by colleges. If colleges expect to see a certain number of credits in various subjects a transcript that doesn't have some similarity to what they expect might not get a second look.

The university requires this for a first time freshman:

4 English, with 2 having composition or writing emphasis

3 Math, including Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II

2 Science, at least 1 with labs

3 Social Sciences

1 Visual/Performing Arts

3 Electives, including Foreign Language and selections from above subjects

You're short in math. Almost every university requires more math. Pre-alg isn't high school level. Most students headed to uni will have had alg in 9th at least, many in 8th grade. Chem is going to be hard to do with only geometry. It's possible to double up on the math and do 3 credits in 2 years.

Our university in town requires 3 math (including Alg I, Geometry, Alg II), so he's good to go according to them. Since we school year round, I'm going to have him do a semester of Trig our next semester. He also may be taking Spanish at the university (dual enrollment) to get another credit as well as more practice speaking and writing Spanish.

You have deleted this post, but I am very confused by your posts. This deleted post stated that I was confused that you were not seeking feedback on post-high school options (which I linked directly to your other thread discussing precisely that topic.)

What was your purpose in listing his 4 yr transcript?

Also, while you listed the minimum acceptance requirements for the local university in terms of classes, admission is often more complicated than that. What are the state college bound high school diploma requirements? What test scores do they require? etc. Some state schools are fairly easily to be accepted into (high % rate of acceptance of applicants.) Other state schools are very competitive and just meeting the minimum requirements will rarely get the student accepted. It is all relative. Specific answers depend on the school. Also, be aware that some school have additional requirements for homeschoolers (for example, unless things have changed recently, I believe that GA universities have a lot of extra hurdles for homeschoolers.)

For an idea of where your local school falls, you might want to look at US News and World Report: http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/2012/09/11/2013-best-colleges-preview-top-25-national-universities Schools w/high acceptance rates (ones w/70% for example) will be more likely accept students w/closer to the minimum requirements than schools w/lower acceptance rates.

Ah, I see.

I haven't read all the other posts, so if this is a repeat, please ignore it, ok?

I don't have much experience with the technical/vocational side of things except that my oldest did a plumbing apprenticeship. For that, he found a plumber who would accept him as an apprentice. The plumber registered him as an apprentice with the people who do the licensing (not sure what they are called) and my son began work. He had to buy his own tools and have his own truck, a pick-up, to carry heavy things around. In addition to 3 (now 5) years of working, he had to go to a certain number of hours of school. He did this through night classes at a local public school. They weren't very expensive because he did them at a public school. A for-profit trade school would have charged more. In the end, to become a plumber, he would have had to take the plumbing exam for our state. The system varies from state to state. My son didn't complete his apprenticeship because he stopped to go to college, but now he is planning on continuing it in his spare time. The same public school's community education program had other technical classes (nights and weekends) leading to certificates in various technical things. Our community college also has certificates in various technical fields. I would have my children look at community college if they wanted to do something technical or vocational that didn't involve a 4-year degree.

Our 2-year community college lets you take classes without registering ("matriculating") as a certain major and receiving an associates degree. All my children have taken some classes this way. There are 4-year community colleges as well as 2-year ones. They offer both associates degrees (2-year) and bachelor degrees (4-year). Our community college also offers certificates. This means that if you want to be a graphic artist, for example, you have a choice: you can get an associates degree and major in graphic art or you can get a graphic art certificate. To get the certificate, you just have to take graphic art classes. To get the degree, you also have to take composition and math and social studies. Some majors that appealed to my children are air plane pilot and (at a different school) adventure guide. Our community college also have vet tech, x-ray tech, nursing, and two transfer programs, engineering and liberal arts, which are the first two years of a four year engineering degree or liberal arts degree. After those, you transfer to a 4-year college to complete your bachelors degree.

To register to take classes at our community college, you just show that you are a resident of the community (if you want lower tuition) and take the placement exam (accuplacer or compass) to determine your math, reading, and writing level. If you place too low, you take remedial classes rather than college credit classes. To register for a degree or certificate program, you have to show your high school diploma (or be part of a dual enrollment program for high school students), take the placement exam, and apply and be accepted. This is still very simple, unless it is for a very competative program like the nursing one. For that, I think you have to take some classes and then apply to the nursing program. Our community college is good about helping students through the application process and helping them decide which program they would like to do.

To go to a 4-year college or university, generally you have to do the following:

Take the SATs or ACTs (and sometimes AP and/or SAT2 subject exams) and have the scores sent to the college

Fill out the application (which involves writing an essay)

Pay an application fee

Send your high school transcript (as a homeschooler, you would make this)

Send several teacher recommendations

Send a school report (tells about your high school - a public school student's guidance councelor does this or you do)

Send a guidance councelor's recommendation (ditto)

Send any transcripts from other places where you have taken classes

Apply for financial aid

Each college has a website which explains how to do this, deadlines, and contact information for the admissions department. It also has directions on how to visit. It might be a good idea to visit whatever 4-year college is closest to you right away, just to get an idea of what is involved and whether a 4-year college is something you would like to do. If you want to be an engineer or a scientist or a teacher, then you need to go to a 4-year college. When you apply, you usually have a choice of applying early or applying regular admissions. The deadline for regular admissions is usually somewhere between Jan. 1 and Feb. 1. There is still time for you to apply but you should take the SAT or ACT this fall. You can usually pay a late fee and sign up at the last minute. A review of math and grammar will help raise your score. Bookstores have review books. Some programs fill up early, so that deadline may be deceptive. Some colleges have something called rolling admissions, which means you can start applying at the end of the summer (for 2 falls away) and they accept people until they are full.

In general, the requirements listed on a 4-year college's website are the minimum requirements. It may be that most of the applicants will have more classes and that your student won't be accepted if he has only the minimum. The library has books of colleges that give you basic information about them (like whether students are required to live in dorms). The books also tell you how hard it is to be accepted at them. You can look at the average SAT or ACT score of the students and their grade point average and the percentage of applicants accepted, and make a guess about whether your student is likely to be accepted. Usually, students apply to a number of colleges, including one that they are over qualified for called their "safety", to make sure they have someplace to go in the fall.

Does that help?

Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass

You have deleted this post, but I am very confused by your posts. This deleted post stated that I was confused that you were not seeking feedback on post-high school options (which I linked directly to your other thread discussing precisely that topic.)

I deleted it as I misread your reply. I thought that you thought I was the student. Sorry.

Ah, I see.

I haven't read all the other posts, so if this is a repeat, please ignore it, ok?

I don't have much experience with the technical/vocational side of things except that my oldest did a plumbing apprenticeship. For that, he found a plumber who would accept him as an apprentice. The plumber registered him as an apprentice with the people who do the licensing (not sure what they are called) and my son began work. He had to buy his own tools and have his own truck, a pick-up, to carry heavy things around. In addition to 3 (now 5) years of working, he had to go to a certain number of hours of school. He did this through night classes at a local public school. They weren't very expensive because he did them at a public school. A for-profit trade school would have charged more. In the end, to become a plumber, he would have had to take the plumbing exam for our state. The system varies from state to state. My son didn't complete his apprenticeship because he stopped to go to college, but now he is planning on continuing it in his spare time. The same public school's community education program had other technical classes (nights and weekends) leading to certificates in various technical things. Our community college also has certificates in various technical fields. I would have my children look at community college if they wanted to do something technical or vocational that didn't involve a 4-year degree.

Our 2-year community college lets you take classes without registering ("matriculating") as a certain major and receiving an associates degree. All my children have taken some classes this way. There are 4-year community colleges as well as 2-year ones. They offer both associates degrees (2-year) and bachelor degrees (4-year). Our community college also offers certificates. This means that if you want to be a graphic artist, for example, you have a choice: you can get an associates degree and major in graphic art or you can get a graphic art certificate. To get the certificate, you just have to take graphic art classes. To get the degree, you also have to take composition and math and social studies. Some majors that appealed to my children are air plane pilot and (at a different school) adventure guide. Our community college also have vet tech, x-ray tech, nursing, and two transfer programs, engineering and liberal arts, which are the first two years of a four year engineering degree or liberal arts degree. After those, you transfer to a 4-year college to complete your bachelors degree.

To register to take classes at our community college, you just show that you are a resident of the community (if you want lower tuition) and take the placement exam (accuplacer or compass) to determine your math, reading, and writing level. If you place too low, you take remedial classes rather than college credit classes. To register for a degree or certificate program, you have to show your high school diploma (or be part of a dual enrollment program for high school students), take the placement exam, and apply and be accepted. This is still very simple, unless it is for a very competative program like the nursing one. For that, I think you have to take some classes and then apply to the nursing program. Our community college is good about helping students through the application process and helping them decide which program they would like to do.

To go to a 4-year college or university, generally you have to do the following:

Take the SATs or ACTs (and sometimes AP and/or SAT2 subject exams) and have the scores sent to the college

Fill out the application (which involves writing an essay)

Pay an application fee

Send your high school transcript (as a homeschooler, you would make this)

Send several teacher recommendations

Send a school report (tells about your high school - a public school student's guidance councelor does this or you do)

Send a guidance councelor's recommendation (ditto)

Send any transcripts from other places where you have taken classes

Apply for financial aid

Each college has a website which explains how to do this, deadlines, and contact information for the admissions department. It also has directions on how to visit. It might be a good idea to visit whatever 4-year college is closest to you right away, just to get an idea of what is involved and whether a 4-year college is something you would like to do. If you want to be an engineer or a scientist or a teacher, then you need to go to a 4-year college. When you apply, you usually have a choice of applying early or applying regular admissions. The deadline for regular admissions is usually somewhere between Jan. 1 and Feb. 1. There is still time for you to apply but you should take the SAT or ACT this fall. You can usually pay a late fee and sign up at the last minute. A review of math and grammar will help raise your score. Bookstores have review books. Some programs fill up early, so that deadline may be deceptive. Some colleges have something called rolling admissions, which means you can start applying at the end of the summer (for 2 falls away) and they accept people until they are full.

In general, the requirements listed on a 4-year college's website are the minimum requirements. It may be that most of the applicants will have more classes and that your student won't be accepted if he has only the minimum. The library has books of colleges that give you basic information about them (like whether students are required to live in dorms). The books also tell you how hard it is to be accepted at them. You can look at the average SAT or ACT score of the students and their grade point average and the percentage of applicants accepted, and make a guess about whether your student is likely to be accepted. Usually, students apply to a number of colleges, including one that they are over qualified for called their "safety", to make sure they have someplace to go in the fall.

Does that help?

Nan

Yes, that helps!

Thank you, Nan.

Our state requires public school graduates to have 24 credits. This does not apply to private, parochial, or home schools.

In TX, the minimum # of credits to graduate in public schools (I believe) is 24 units.

For example, homeschoolers in TX can create any guideline as long as: (1) the instruction be bona fide (i.e., not a sham); (2) the curriculum be in visual form (e.g., books, workbooks, video monitor); and (3) the curriculum include the basic subjects of reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and good citizenship. Parents may obtain curriculum materials from outside sources or develop their own. They may also send their children into the home of another parent for instruction or have a tutor come into the home for all or part of the instruction.

The only thing I would suggest for the OP is to list on her transcript the SAT or ACT scores as they verify the "Mommy" grades.

Welcome to the WTM Forum!

Edited by tex-mex

Even in states that do not regulate the coursework of home school grads it is worth considering how that diploma will be view by colleges. If colleges expect to see a certain number of credits in various subjects a transcript that doesn't have some similarity to what they expect might not get a second look.10dh.jpg09ht.jpg09ax.jpg09jh.jpg09bh.jpg

The university requires this for a first time freshman:

4 English, with 2 having composition or writing emphasis

3 Math, including Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II

2 Science, at least 1 with labs

3 Social Sciences

1 Visual/Performing Arts

3 Electives, including Foreign Language and selections from above subjects

Our state requires more for graduation, but I've found this is standard for most colleges my kids are looking at. The colleges seem to be more focused on ACT/SAT scores than their transcripts. I think that is pretty standard with homeschooled kids.

I don't think your state counts credits the same way mine does. There is no way most kids could come up with 40 credits! That would be 10 full classes a year!!! There isn't enough time in the day...:svengo: Just the thought makes me swoon.

Could it be that this state counts one semester courses as one credit? For eg, I found this quote on this site:

"Indiana University High School awards 1 credit for completion of a one-semester high school course. However, credit designation for a one-semester course varies from state to state. Some states grant 1/4 credit or 1/2 credit for such a course. Your state Department of Education is the most reliable source of information about the amount of credit you will earn."

Could it be that this state counts one semester courses as one credit? For eg, I found this quote on this site:

"Indiana University High School awards 1 credit for completion of a one-semester high school course. However, credit designation for a one-semester course varies from state to state. Some states grant 1/4 credit or 1/2 credit for such a course. Your state Department of Education is the most reliable source of information about the amount of credit you will earn."

That would make Tranquil Mind's post make more sense. Then again, that makes her state only require 20 credits for graduation which seems just a little low? Better low than 40 credits!!!:tongue_smilie:

you are all saying that if a student isn't ready for Algebra 1 in 9th grade, too bad ... make them take it anyway? I don't get that at all.

I don't think that anyone is saying a student who is not ready to start algebra should just get thrown into it anyway, just because they are in 9th grade.

What I am saying is that in my state there are certain math requirements for public high schoolers. These only count algebra 1 and above.

Similarly, most colleges have some kind of math requirement. They may not specify algebra, but may still be looking for what is considered high school level math.

So if a student is starting pre-algebra in 9th grade and needed three years of math to meet the requirements of the colleges he wants, then the count of high school math credits would start with algebra 1 and go from there. So it's not a question of pushing a student ahead of himself; it is an issue of counting high school credits for high school work.

My state doesn't regulate diplomas from homeschoolers. But since my kids will be in competition with their public and private schooled peers for college spots, it is worth an occasional glance at what the expectations are for the group.

At least that's what I'm saying. It doesn't make sense to thrust someone ahead of their readiness. On the other hand, I do think the majority of 9th graders are able to tackle some form of algebra. Some introductions are more gentle than others.

No no. What we are saying (well, what I would say, anyway) is that colleges often mention the minimum amount of math that they want their incoming students to have. The lowest ones I've seen are algebra 1, 2, and geometry. Most of the ones we've looked at (we are looking STEM) say math through pre-calc, and some encourage their applicants to have some calculus. Does that mean you have to give up on college if your high school freshman isn't doing algebra 1? No. Of course not. It means that you might have to work extra hard later in high school to catch up (doubling up geometry and algebra 2, for instance) or that you might have to look at colleges that have less expectations for math rather than MIT. Some colleges say "three years of math" and leave it unspecified. The school my oldest went to said four years of math and was happy to count statistics as one of those years. (Thank goodness his ps guidance counselor insisted that he take 4 years of math even though he wasn't planning on going to college and the high school didn't require it. She was afraid he would change his mind and he did.) And remember, nothing says that you can't apply anyway. It might not work, but if you have a student who is great at something non-stem and you can create an application that shows that, then you might be fine. There are plenty of stories floating around about people who say they didn't have enough math or whatever and got in anyway.

I think you have to be careful about your local homeschooling laws.

Nan

you are all saying that if a student isn't ready for Algebra 1 in 9th grade, too bad ... make them take it anyway? I don't get that at all.

No. But a student who isn't ready for Algebra I in 9th grade may need to do one of the following: a) work faster and/or year/round to get through math, b) set their sights on a different level of college, c) take an extra year if neither of the above work.