Menu

Anyone used "Process Skills in Problem Solving" from SM?

AEC

I'm always on the lookout for sources that encourage deductive/inductive reasoning and problem solving skills. From the description, it sounds like that's what this is...but there's very little information about the series on the SM site or elsewhere that I could find.

TIA.

-andy

You mean Fan-Math?

I have. Once kiddo got smooth at doing word problems, I have stopped using it as a reinforcement. I think it was book 2 and 3 I used, and it was very helpful in getting the bar method down pat. I think Singaporemath.com has sample pages, and they also answer questions.

So what is this then?

Visible Thinking in Mathematics

These are called 'assessment books' and are meant for extra practice at home. The author, Prof. Ammiel Wan, has good step-by-step explanations of various types of problems and provides different problem solving strategies for each type of problem. I think these are meant for students who need more explanation and practice problems; these are not for advanced students.