Menu

Christian Book Shipping problems: this just seems wrong

I bought some items from Christian Book, got an email that they had shipped the items and they were delivered yesterday.... except one item (an expensive item) was missing ..... even though I had been charged for it and I had received an email saying it had been shipped!

When I emailed them they said there was a mixup and that the item hadn't even been in stock when I bought it.

Now I am wondering...

1. Why I was charged for this item if it wasn't in stock?

2. Most importantly, why did I receive a shipping notiice saying the item had been packed and shipped when it wasn't even in stock?

3. Why no-one emailed me to say it wasn't going to be in my delivery so I could see it listed on the invoice in the box and waste my time worrying about it and ringing neighbours, tracing the delivery route to see if it had got lost on the way :(

Sorry, for the rant. I normally try to think the best of companies but there seems to be too many "mix-ups" here.....

Edited to add: the item is on back order until the end of the month

Wow! I'm sorry to hear about the mixup with your order. I have ordered from the company for years and have never been charged for an out-of-stock item. I'm looking at one of my receipts from a few years ago and it was clearly marked *Items listed below are presently out of stock* and the approximate ship dates given. The item was not charged until sent.

Their customer service is great. I'd give them a call and talk to someone personally about the matter.

I'm looking at one of my receipts from a few years ago and it was clearly marked *Items listed below are presently out of stock* and the approximate ship dates given. The item was not charged until sent.

Their customer service is great. I'd give them a call and talk to someone personally about the matter.

Thankyou for taking the time to go and check your old receipt.

Yes, I would have expected that too when I opened the box and saw the invoice

but the missing item was listed in the exactly the same way as everything else .... that is why I thought it had gotten lost in transit.

I have had niggling problems with Christian Book before but this is quite frustrating.

I had emailed them twice before originally posting but they didn't answer my question as to why this happened or why I was charged.

Wow! I'm sorry to hear about the mixup with your order. I have ordered from the company for years and have never been charged for an out-of-stock item. I'm looking at one of my receipts from a few years ago and it was clearly marked *Items listed below are presently out of stock* and the approximate ship dates given. The item was not charged until sent.

:iagree: I've ordered from CBD for over 20 years, and I've rarely had a problem. Any problem that arose was readily handled by their very friendly customer service people with just a phone call. I agree that a phone call would likely get faster results than an email.

:iagree: I've ordered from CBD for over 20 years, and I've rarely had a problem. Any problem that arose was readily handled by their very friendly customer service people with just a phone call. I agree that a phone call would likely get faster results than an email.

:iagree: Only once in, I don't know, at least 15 years if not more, have I ever had a problem w/CBD. It was quickly resolved when I called them.

That's frustrating!

I will say I don't think they would have charged you knowing it was on back order. In fact, legally in the US they have to tell you it's back ordered and give you an option to cancel at that point as well as give you a revised shipping expectation if you decide to proceed with the order.

I'd say this was a true mix up and they just plain didn't catch it.

I got a damaged order from CBD once. It was homeschool materials and they actually sent me my replacements that same day and a mailer to mail back their materials after I received the replacements so I would never have to be without books. They were very easy to work with in other words. I hope you have the same good experience. If I remember right I communicated via email with them actually.

Thankyou for your replies.

I do agree that calling would be quicker in many cases but unfortunately I am an international customer and I don't want to risk being charged a lot for the call.

They should refund you immediately. I have emailed plenty of companies about problems. I don't see why you'd need to call -- they already admitted they made a mistake. If you don't get a refund promptly, give them another warning via email and then contact your credit card or however you paid for the order. Unless they are planning to send it to you when it comes back in stock?

That's frustrating!

I will say I don't think they would have charged you knowing it was on back order. In fact, legally in the US they have to tell you it's back ordered and give you an option to cancel at that point as well as give you a revised shipping expectation if you decide to proceed with the order.

I'd say this was a true mix up and they just plain didn't catch it.

I didn't know about the legal side of things and I haven't been offered the option of a refund (but I haven't asked either).

Thankyou. I really appreciate your sympathy. Shipping is expensive and time consuming out here :001_smile:

They should refund you immediately. I have emailed plenty of companies about problems. I don't see why you'd need to call -- they already admitted they made a mistake. If you don't get a refund promptly, give them another warning via email and then contact your credit card or however you paid for the order. Unless they are planning to send it to you when it comes back in stock?

They are planning on sending it to me when it comes back into stock. If they had told me it was out of stock when everything else shipped (or even a week or two later) I would have tried to source it elsewhere but it is not worth pursuing that option now. I just wish I hadn't wasted so much time trying to trace it locally :(

I agree that issues like this should be able to be settled with emails.

Anyway, I know this a small problem when compared to all the other problems people come across in their lives but thankyou for commiserating with me.

Anyway, I know this a small problem when compared to all the other problems people come across in their lives but thankyou for commiserating with me.

Small though it may be compared to world hunger or famine, it's still your money! I would email them requesting a refund if you do not want it anymore.

I just wanted to add that I have ordered from them for years, and only once had a problem. They sent the wrong item to me. It wasn't checked off on the receipt, so whoever packed the box obviously wasn't paying attention. They immediately sent the right item out to me with a postage paid envelope to send the wrong thing back to them.

I agree that maybe you could email them and ask them to call you. They made the mistake, and from my experience they are very willing to correct their mistakes.