Menu

OPG with ETC?

jina

Has anyone used OPG (ordinary parent's guide) to teach reading and then used ETC (explode the code) for worksheets to reinforce skills (and just for fun for the kiddos that enjoy worksheets)?

It seems like you could look at the index of lessons in OPG and the table of contents in ETC and just pull out the pages from ETC that go with your lesson that day in OPG. Hope that makes sense.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Has anyone used OPG (ordinary parent's guide) to teach reading and then used ETC (explode the code) for worksheets to reinforce skills (and just for fun for the kiddos that enjoy worksheets)?

It seems like you could look at the index of lessons in OPG and the table of contents in ETC and just pull out the pages from ETC that go with your lesson that day in OPG. Hope that makes sense.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I think OPG and ETC make a good pairing. I have never coordinated them. I might have to try that for my next little one.

So...you will TEACH reading with OPG, but then use ETC as a review over the next couple years? There are 8 ETC books (plus 1/2 books), but it seems that all the concepts in ETC are covered with OPG. I was planning to do OPG in one year...but ETC schedule looks like 2 books a year over the next few years?

Those who have used ETC - how many years does it take to get through books 1-8? What is a "normal" pace?

I use ETC with OPG and I do coordinate it somewhat. I just have the books here and choose lessons based on what we are doing in OPG. However - I do rearrange the order of some of the OPG lesson as well.

Our pacing is ETC 1, 2,3 in one year

ETC 4 and 6 the next year

ETC 7 and 8 the 3rd year

We did OPG together with ETC, but we just started at the beginning of each and did the next thing through it. By the time we were half way through OPG she'd taken off and was beyond ETC so we didn't finish past book 3 and just summarized some digraphs that she wasn't sure of yet to finish OPG.

I use ETC with OPG and I do coordinate it somewhat. I just have the books here and choose lessons based on what we are doing in OPG.

This is similar to my answer. We do OPG in order and after a section I have my dd do ETC pages to correspond. I have had to buy 1-6 books to have all the topics available. We were able to pretty much do 1-3 in close order but now are jumping around in 6 and 5 to coordinate the topics in OPG. It is working great and doesn't actually require any planning. If you have all the ETC books you simply look in the TOCs and find the right sections to work on after completing a section of OPG. It has been great to reinforce the OPG topics and have my dd write the words as well as read them.

Kind of a ditto of many above, but just chiming in to say the we use/used OPG in conjunction with ETC. No coordination, just let her/him do ETC at her/his own pace while we did OPG. My soon-to-be 8yo learned that way and she is a SUPER reader right now. And ds (almost 5) is on his way!

We did OPG together with ETC, but we just started at the beginning of each and did the next thing through it. By the time we were half way through OPG she'd taken off and was beyond ETC so we didn't finish past book 3 and just summarized some digraphs that she wasn't sure of yet to finish OPG.

Our experience was similar this. By the time my ds had made it through OPGTR, we didn't need ETC anymore--he was reading well and it was like busy work. I think we stopped with book 3 or 4.