Menu

Checklists

If you use checklists for your kids in trying to kept track of schoolwork and chores, how is it designed? Do you use one checklist for each day or do you somehow included everything for the week or even semester? Do you have a master checklist for all the kids and yourself? Or one checklist per child?

Where do you keep the checklist(s)? On the fridge? In a notebook? Somewhere else?

I keep trying to use different variations on the checklist as a management tool, but for some reason I never stick to it and then regret that I haven't, so I'm trying to come up with a system that will work for me.

Thanks!

I'm not sure how to bump things up to the front of the line, so I am just going to respond to my own post, in hopes that others will notice it!

Please, pretty please? Does anyone have any input on my question about checklists? You see I want to start up school the second week in August and I was hoping to have all this stuff ironed out before then . . .

Thanks!

We haven't done this for awhile, but I plan to make my new lists this week to get us back on track! The most effective way of doing it for us was to use a notebook with checklists in sleeve protectors. Each of us had our own pages, and mine included checking on the kids to be sure theirs were done! We marked off the completed items with dry erase markers. One list was for wake-up until school starts, the next for the school day, the last for after school through bedtime. Honestly, my dc hated it, but when we did it everything got done and I didn't have to remind them as much. I tried putting everything on one sheet of paper so there wouldn't be as many to keep track of, but the dc were overwhelemd with the number of items on the lists, so we went back to separating the times of day.

I also used the notebook to have checklists of what needed to go with us to the various acitivites. Awana meant they needed their bags, books, Bibles, pencils, any projects, vests/shirts, sneakers (for game time), and a snack to eat in the van on the way home. I made lists for everything we did that involved leaving the house, and I can't tell you how helpful it was! I also kept informational papers from the various activiites there so I could refer to them if needed - Awana schedules, special trip info, etc.

My life was much more organized when I followed through with this, and that's why I'm putting it back together this next week! I hope you find a system that works for you, too!

I don't have a master checklist, but make a weekly checklist for each of my children. I use their lists to make sure each day's work is done.

I use to make the individual checklists in Excel but then my computer died so I switched to making them manually. I put the days of the week along the top and list the subjects down the left margin. Most of our curriculum is already broken out into lessons so all I write down is the lesson number to be done that day and a little checkbox for my kids to mark off. Since science is not as straight forward I list everything to be done for the day, step-by-step, (pages to be read, workbook page to complete, experiment to be done, textbook questions to be answered). Some of our subjects like reading and logic are done by time so I list the amount of time to spend on that subject instead of a lesson number.

I usually make the checklists Friday afternoon, while my kids straighten up the school room. I found that if I waited until the weekend something always came up. It also gives me the weekend to run an errand if we need something special for school the following week.

For our chores I use a schedule that came from Ria. It lists the days of the week along the top and kids names down the left margin. My kids have different chores each day, but the same chores week to week. For example Monday is vaccuum and dust day, so everyone does the same vaccuuming and dusting chores each Monday. We all work together at the same time on chores so I know who is working and who is loafing.

HTH

I don't do checklists for chores for the kids. In years past I've tried many types of check list for school work that just seemed to take up so much time. So being the non-creative person that I am, lol, I stole a format that my sister created with her kids.

I'd be more than happy to send you a sample. It's a 12 week work schedule that is broke down into weeks/days/subjects with an area for the child to check off that they have completed that area. I imagine that it would be just as helpful for an adult to keep on track with a younger childs work but this is more a checklist for a older child who is working independently.

It takes several days of effort to break everything down but then you have twelve weeks set. This might work for you.

I use a weekly checklist, I've made them myself before but this year I found these really cute ones!http://www.notebookingnook.com/JoyfulStewardStudentPlanners/index.html

blocks_image_3_1.png

They have different ones for Boys and different ages

kim

Those are cute, Kim! I love the weekly calendar at the bottom of the page. Great idea.

Thanks for posting this question! I've been wanting to redo our plan. We have been using Handipoints for chores and my dc love it (http://www.handipoints.com). Problem is, they think it is a "buffet" type system where they can pick and choose which chores to do to get points! Hah! So, they'll do the easy ones like brush teeth before bed or make your bed or help w/ the baby. But, they won't consistently do the "other" chores w/out reminders like vacuuming or doing the dishes or clearning the table. I need a new system in addition to this. I don't want to take it away from them b/c they do enjoy it, but I'm thinking about posting a master list so they can actually SEE what needs to be done and check it off. Hmmm...

I do an Excel spreadsheet at the beginning of each semester listing what subjects they need to do each day and what outside commitments they have (like Spanish tutoring, for example).

I use that spreadsheet to write a daily list. So, our Monday might list:

Piano

Bible

Latin

Spanish

Math

Literature

History

Writing

Spelling

Outside class: Latin

Dd's daily list will then look like this:

Piano practice

Bible--Explorer's day one

Latin--review flashcards and pack for class

Spanish--review with Dad after dinner + ten minutes Rosetta Stone

Math--Watch MUS video for lesson 11 with Mom and do 11a and 11b

Literature--Read LOTR in bed with Mom

History--Read SOTW chapter 25. Write summary for one section and do map.

Writing--Continue working on fairy book for co-op.

Spelling--half Spelling WorkOut lesson 6

I have just designed my 473rd (jsut kiddin', sort of) schedule and its a checklist template I found on a CM schedules Yahoo group, that I then adapted for myself. I am very pleased with it, and if you would like to see it, email me at peela at iinet.net.au and I will send you a copy.

I have one for each child pinned on a board on their desks, and one for each child pinned on board on my desk, so that I can glance at it and say "Gen, I see you are just finishing up Latin, how did it go? ready for Language Lessons? " or whatever. It keeps me in tune with them. It has check boxes for each lesson for each week, for 10 weeks (we have 10 week terms). It also has approximately the times each lesson should take.

Last term, I did a separate weekly schedule each week, printed them and had them tick them off. This term, on one sheet of paper, I have their whole term's schedule. I am getting smarter ;) (actually, they are just getting older and it makes it easier to do this way).

My son's has his music practice and Brain Gym written on his, because he often tries to skip them- wheras my daughter doesnt have her music practice written on hers, because she doesnt need to.

I do not use check lists for chores, but I do create school schedules in excel. I add in worksheets until I have 36 and then I link the sheets. Once the sheets are linked I create identical formatting for all 36 sheets. I typically do a couple of lines for child's name and week of school. Then, I label cells B3, C3, D3, E3, and F3 as Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. In column A rows 4 through whatever I place the child's subjects or books to be completed. I go into borders and create a grid in the place beside the books and underneath the days of the week. I format all column widths so the the sheets end up being one age wide for printing purposes. I highlight the grid and go into format cells and click wrap text. While the sheets are linked I also do things like decide on fun fonts a, sizes, and colors. Then I unlink the sheets and go to each week typing the pages that need to be completed under the days of the week horizontally across from the book.

I print, hole punch, and place it all in a binder. Then the child or I can check off the work as it is completed.

HTH-

Mandy

I made each child a planner on WORD. Each page is a week of school at-a-glance. It includes their chores. They will write in appointments or other activities as well.

It is basically a chart (table on WORD) with the days of the week across the top and the subjects plus "chores" down the left margin. Each box has their schoolwork typed in and has little boxes to check off by each item.

I have the weeks numbered automatically in the header. i.e. week 1, week 2, ........ It has a blank line to write in the date when we start each week. The header just says "Michael's Weekly Planner week 1_____".

I love having their chores listed all on the same page with their schoolwork.

Eva

I print out either a semester or a term and let each child pick a picture for their cover. I print the cover and the pages on card-stock so they are sturdy. I put a cardboard backing and a clear cover and spiral bind each planner. You can do this at the office supply, but I purchased a binding machine that is WONDERFUL!

Eva

Thanks all for your input. I finally sat down and just made my own version of a weekly checklst just for school subjects on microsoft word. I printed out 12 of them and stuck them in binders for each child. They'll keep their checklist binder in their cubbies. I just have to remember to put them away so they don't get buried causing me to ignore them until weeks have gone by.

I figure we'll try this method for the first 12 weeks of school and see how effective it is.

I made a general chore list and it put it on my fridge. I don't think I'll get around to actually checking things off but I can go through it several times a day to keep tabs on how chores are progressing.

Thanks again, everyone!