Menu

x-post: Tell me about Kitchen Table Math 2 & 3

momto2Cs

Pros? Cons? I have looked at the samples, but would like to know more.

If my ds11, for example, worked through a few of his weaker areas in 2 and then did 3, would he be prepared for AoPs or LOF pre-algebra?

How much hands-on with books 2 and 3? It looks like a fair amount from the samples, but those are limited!

Can this be a complete math program, or does it need more? Would it work well in conjunction with LOF and living math readers?

Thanks!

I haven't time to answer this properly right now ... I myself would not want to use this as a math spine (I have KT2) b/c there isn't review incorporated and I do best with Button when we have assigned problems: I don't want to be coming up with examples, and he's hard to do seminar-type math with right now.

This would certainly work well along with LoF and living math materials. You could easily tie living math to the book chapter topics.

and I myself am not seeing much physical manipulative stuff as I flip through KT2, but could be missing it.

I have a bit more time and will answer as best I can, maybe it will be helpful (and it'll serve to bump things up for others to catch!)

If my ds11, for example, worked through a few of his weaker areas in 2 and then did 3, would he be prepared for AoPs or LOF pre-algebra?

The child would know enough math: but the real question for preparation seems to be how independently the child can work. It seems he should be able to do LoF independently, at least.

How much hands-on with books 2 and 3? It looks like a fair amount from the samples, but those are limited!

From book 2, it looks to me like 1/4 - 1/3 or so of the chapters make hands-on suggestions; and there is a chapter at the end on incorporating manipulatives.

Can this be a complete math program, or does it need more? Would it work well in conjunction with LOF and living math readers?

The book is not designed to be a truly stand-alone curriculum, and what needs boosting isn't the LoF or livingmath stuff but practice. You could invent the problems yourself; Kitchen Table Math 2 suggests Modern Curriculum Press' grade level books. Here's a quote:

"Many of the arithmetic topics covered in this book will require written exercises for your child to practice. There are many math books that have worksheets of problems covering most of the material in this book. There are also an increasing number of internet sites that create pages of problems for you ... Whichever book you choose, having one of these books as a supply of problems can save you a great deal of work inventing problem sets for your child as you work through the sections of this book."

I have a bit more time and will answer as best I can, maybe it will be helpful (and it'll serve to bump things up for others to catch!)

The child would know enough math: but the real question for preparation seems to be how independently the child can work. It seems he should be able to do LoF independently, at least.

From book 2, it looks to me like 1/4 - 1/3 or so of the chapters make hands-on suggestions; and there is a chapter at the end on incorporating manipulatives.

The book is not designed to be a truly stand-alone curriculum, and what needs boosting isn't the LoF or livingmath stuff but practice. You could invent the problems yourself; Kitchen Table Math 2 suggests Modern Curriculum Press' grade level books. Here's a quote:

"Many of the arithmetic topics covered in this book will require written exercises for your child to practice. There are many math books that have worksheets of problems covering most of the material in this book. There are also an increasing number of internet sites that create pages of problems for you ... Whichever book you choose, having one of these books as a supply of problems can save you a great deal of work inventing problem sets for your child as you work through the sections of this book."

Thank you SO much! :) And I will x-post this on the accelerated board too.

I don't feel qualified to say much about it since my oldest is only six. AoPS is something I have on my radar for the future but the thought of being prepared for it is far beyond where I'm at. Meanwhile, I use them to teach me how to teach my children and don't have any thought for my 6yo working independently or doing much writing in math at this age and am only in the very early parts of Book 2 (still mostly referring to Book 1) so I'm in a completely different position (or stage, perhaps).

I will say, for anyone it does help, that I use The Verbal Math Lesson (for early grades but there are higher levels for decimals and fractions which I have no experience with) alongside for mental arithmetic practice and word problems (without adding writing since that fits our current stage). But anyway, yes, you would definitely need to add practice one way or other, according to your needs.