Menu

Need Spelling ideas for my struggling speller

Mom28kds

My 2nd grader DS is doing terrible at Spelling. I need help. I have been using CLE LA for 1st and now 2nd gr. I have been doing ABEKA "A Handbook for Reading" and reading easy readers with him. When it comes to spelling words he is terrible. His reading could use alot work. When he reads he doesn't focus on the letters and sounds that he sees, he guesses alot and I make him go over and use the sounds and rules we have learned. Last week on his Spelling test he got a 60% and today I quizzed him to prepare for a quiz tomorrow and he got about the same. I know he has touble focusing. I was doing the CLE Spelling because I figured actually learning to spell words that went along with what concept we were working on would help him. It's not. What do you recommend?

I echo the pp on using manipulatives, etc. to get him to spell the words. Also, does CLE use phonics-based word lists? If he were to focus on one sound for each list, it might lessen the guessing.

We use Spelling Power, even though it's not technically meant for kids under 8 years old.

HTH!

Mama Anna

Most 7yo children "struggle" with spelling. :-)

But it sounds as if there are some phonics issues, as well.

Y'all know I'm a big Spalding fan, so that would be my recommendation; Spalding would take care of the whole thing--reading, spelling, penmanship, capitalizaiton and punctuation, simple writing.

Most 7yo children "struggle" with spelling. :-)

But it sounds as if there are some phonics issues, as well.

Y'all know I'm a big Spalding fan, so that would be my recommendation; Spalding would take care of the whole thing--reading, spelling, penmanship, capitalizaiton and punctuation, simple writing.

I went to their website and couldn't find any samples of their books.

I HIGHLY recommend All About Spelling. You can read lots of reviews on this board or on others, but other than the price there isn't any cons. My oldest was a struggling speller, and after trying several other options, AAS is finally working, and working well. She and I both enjoy it. It's also working well for my first grader who doesn't struggle with spelling.

We use All About Spelling, and it has tremendously helped DS with reading as well as spelling. It is painless, easy to use, and it works for DS - which is what matters most. :)

Using the combination of manipulatives, whiteboard markers, and writing on paper, along with the auditory component helps. And we use the cards to make games, to keep him moving through review, etc.

Hope you find what works for your kiddo soon!

I HIGHLY recommend All About Spelling. You can read lots of reviews on this board or on others, but other than the price there isn't any cons. My oldest was a struggling speller, and after trying several other options, AAS is finally working, and working well. She and I both enjoy it. It's also working well for my first grader who doesn't struggle with spelling.

:iagree:

I couldn't agree more! AAS is broken down into lessons and doesn't have a steep learning curve for the mom.

Elise in NC

Honestly, I'd recommend you work on reading more before you worry about spelling :). We made sure our oldest was reading well (she didn't really click until 7 either) before we even really tried to tackle spelling. We used A Handbook for Reading and readers with her too. What might really help though is using counters to practice blending/segmenting/listening for sounds - if he's guessing and not really decoding, maybe counters for each sound would help connect written phonemes to sounds for decoding.

7 is still young, I'd just work on reading :).

Honestly, I'd recommend you work on reading more before you worry about spelling :). We made sure our oldest was reading well (she didn't really click until 7 either) before we even really tried to tackle spelling. We used A Handbook for Reading and readers with her too. What might really help though is using counters to practice blending/segmenting/listening for sounds - if he's guessing and not really decoding, maybe counters for each sound would help connect written phonemes to sounds for decoding.

7 is still young, I'd just work on reading :).

Thank you. Maybe I'll just skip the spelling tests of CLE for this year.