Menu

Would you report workmans comp fraud?

NEVER, in 22 years of having kids, have I received a questionnaire from the insurance company about where the accident happened. They've happened in our home, in friend's homes, at the airport... but that wasn't a part of getting covered. EVER. I'm wondering which companies do this. Only in one workman's comp situation were those questions asked.

We got this questionnaire 3 times after DS' accident, which happened in our house, well house/backyard. The health insurance companies do not want to pay if they can get someone else to cover the costs.

DH has gotten it when he cut his finger with a knife and needed stitches as well and I think we got it one other time for another injury. All accidents that happened at home, no there was no one else that the insurance company could have gone after to foot the bill.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And no one is saying that calling a tip line accomplishes that. The tip line alerts those who ARE up close. They (the people on the other end of the tip line) are NOT judging from afar, and making an ill-informed judgment.

Sheesh, let's all remember this discussion next time a thread is posted wherein someone SHOULD have gotten involved. Right now everyone's in a we-all-should-mind-our-own-business panic.

Disagreement is not panic. :001_smile:

I have a business, and I pay worker's comp. I like that WC is no-fault in my area. I have many part-time employees, and I don't cover them with health insurance... most of these part-time employees are students, so they are covered under their parents. But some are not, so I'm glad that they are covered if they get hurt at work.

WC also pays disability while the employee can't work due to their injury. I have an employee who has been unable to work since May, and won't be released back to work until probably January. It was a freak accident, she wasn't even going to report it. Then she was going to see her chiropractor, which would have made it so she couldn't use the WC. Now she's covered until the end of December, and she can heal properly.

WC can be a really good thing.

Yes, we have it on our employees. Thankfully they have never needed it. I'm not sure what your business is, but ours being higher risk is very expensive.

When we were growing up, we played at friends' houses -- on swing sets, backyards, etc., and kids played at our house -- on our swing set. We swam at friends' pools. My parents never would have dreamed of asking the neighbor to pay our medical bill if I broke my arm from jumping off their swing.

Now, we limit what kids are allowed to do because we realize we live in a litigious society. Neighbor kids are not allowed in our fort. They were not allowed on the trampoline when we had it. They are not allowed to use the rope swing. In fact, no one is allowed to do these things when friends are over. I think it is ridiculous to have to be so afraid today. Perhaps kids shouldn't even come over. I mean, they might trip on a tree root. No fake swords because someone might get hurt. A ten-year old might decide to be dumb one day and swallow a Lego.

Yeah, it should just be up to us to add yet one more bill on top of our monthly bills to protect us from this craziness.

:iagree:

Think of it ths way: what if your neighbor saw your kids out playing in the yard every day, and you driving them places. He thought, "We'll, they are supposed to be homeschooling, but how could they be getting any school done? I better call the authorities. It is their job to see that these kids are really in school."

How would you feel?

Not comparable by a long shot. Now if I were taking the stipend from my kids' charter school (funded by the taxpayers), using it for consumable materials (which do not need to be returned to the school) but then not using those materials for my kids but instead quietly selling them, then it would absolutely be the right thing to do to alert someone about my scamming the system. If it turns out to be a bogus assertion, then the investigators won't find anything.

Our health insurance always sends out a questionaire after we receive medical treatment asking very pointed questions about where the accident happened.

Last year I needed stitches in my foot (pyrex pan exploded in my kitchen) and dd needed stitches (fell off bike in our driveway). Both times we received the questionaire to fill out and return. The insurance companies don't want to pay.

:iagree: My dh's work changed insurance companies after 7 yrs, and about two months later, my oldest ds tripped and fell during a basketball game, and the new insurance company could not send us their form about where/why/how fast enough.

is

That is what I thought the first time. The second letter made it clear that we had to return it or coverage would be denied.

We've received the letters, too. The kids had xrays due to sports injuries (different years, different kids) and within the week, I had one of those letter in my mailbox each and every time. They were *adamant* that not returning them within 10 business days (I believe it was) would mean they wouldn't pay the bill.

Oh, this was BCBS.

We've received the letters, too. The kids had xrays due to sports injuries (different years, different kids) and within the week, I had one of those letter in my mailbox each and every time. They were *adamant* that not returning them within 10 business days (I believe it was) would mean they wouldn't pay the bill.

Oh, this was BCBS.

Perhaps the difference is employer plans -- a way to keep costs down on employer policies? Ours is a private policy.

Perhaps the difference is employer plans -- a way to keep costs down on employer policies? Ours is a private policy.

I've never gotten a letter. Our policies have always been group through employers. I said private previously but I just meant "not public".