Menu

Wwyd? skin hot 3 days after vaccination

Tap

Dd5 had a Tdap and flu shot on Wednesday. Both shots were given in the same arm (her choice). The spot hurt for just a short bit the day she got it and she hasn't mentioned it since. I don't remember seeing a red spot after the shot. Tonight (Saturday), I noticed that she has a silver dollar size red spot that is red, raised and is hot to the touch. She doesn't seem sick, and she does not have a fever?

I haven't ever had a child who had an immunization spot get worse after a few days. :confused:

Would you be concerned? She just went to bed for the night and she put on her zip front footed pjs so I can't check the spot in the night, just in the morning.

Swelling, redness and soreness at the injection site is a normal reaction to the flu shot. It's your immune system working and it can last for a week. Serious reactions usually occur within fifteen minutes after the shot is given, and that is an anaphylactic type allergic reaction.

Tdap shots are notorious for swelling, redness and a huge lump (on certain kids) at the injection site. Totally, completely, 100% normal. The pain will probably feel a little worse before it feels better. That's the tetanus component of the vax. Mild fever is ok, too.

She might want to do two different arms the next time...less painful.

You can give her ibuprofen if it's bothering her, but otherwise it should be fine. If you're worried about it, call your ped or urgent care in the morning, but I'm sure they'll say it's fine, too.

Swelling, redness and soreness at the injection site is a normal reaction to the flu shot. It's your immune system working and it can last for a week. Serious reactions usually occur within fifteen minutes after the shot is given, and that is an anaphylactic type allergic reaction.

Tdap shots are notorious for swelling, redness and a huge lump (on certain kids) at the injection site. Totally, completely, 100% normal. The pain will probably feel a little worse before it feels better. That's the tetanus component of the vax. Mild fever is ok, too.

She might want to do two different arms the next time...less painful.

You can give her ibuprofen if it's bothering her, but otherwise it should be fine. If you're worried about it, call your ped or urgent care in the morning, but I'm sure they'll say it's fine, too.

Is it common for this to flare after a few days? Had it been red all along, I wouldn't worry about it. It seems odd that it would suddenly get red and hot on day 3/4. No lump, just flat round and hot.

We give thousands of flu shots in the pharmacy each year, and I don't remember hearing of people having reactions that seeem to start 3 days later.

Is it common for this to flare after a few days? Had it been red all along, I wouldn't worry about it. It seems odd that it would suddenly get red and hot on day 3/4. No lump, just flat round and hot.

We give thousands of flu shots in the pharmacy each year, and I don't remember hearing of people having reactions that seeem to start 3 days later.

It's within the realm of normal, and honestly, if she had the Tdap there, too...I would suspect that as the culprit. If you're at all concerned, then don't hesitate to have her checked out. Long distance internet diagnosis without examining the patient, is sketchy at best. :D

It's within the realm of normal, and honestly, if she had the Tdap there, too...I would suspect that as the culprit. If you're at all concerned, then don't hesitate to have her checked out. Long distance internet diagnosis without examining the patient, is sketchy at best. :D

LOL totally understandable! We only vaccinate adults in the pharmacy so I don't see these reactions very often. I'm not too worried or else I would have taken her in when I saw it. It was just one of those thoughts of "maybe I should be more worried than I am" LOL

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

This happened to one of my DDs a few days after a vaccination, except that the raised hot red area was the diameter of a softball. We ended up at the children's ER on the advice of the nurse line (ped office was closed). It took hours and the advice we left with was to use cold packs and make her use the arm. It will get better faster if the arm is moved and used.

I'm still grumpy that I didn't get that advice over the phone and save us all the time and trouble. :glare: