Menu

Age appropriate or not?

My two oldest children, 10- and 7-year-old girls, are responsible to clean up the dining room after breakfast and dinner. One child wipes down the high chair, sweeps, and does any spot wiping/mopping necessary on the wood floor. The other child wipes down the coated tablecloth and does another small task of my choice (such as cleaning the candle tray, cleaning the dining room window, wiping food off the dining room walls, etc.). They switch duties at dinner, so each child does all the jobs once per day. I have high standards, meaning that I expect the table, high chair, and floor to be really clean to help us avoid issues with ants, etc. Is this age appropriate?

My feeling is that these jobs are age appropriate, yet I feel the need to check, since I have no end of problems getting them to complete these chores. Even when they are generally obedient and/or when there are clear consequences for non-completion of these tasks, I still have major issues getting them to do these things.

My feeling is that these jobs are age appropriate, yet I feel the need to check, since I have no end of problems getting them to complete these chores. Even when they are generally obedient and/or when there are clear consequences for non-completion of these tasks, I still have major issues getting them to do these things.

My kids would have done those things, but there is no way that they would have done them as well as an adult could, and I wouldn't have expected them too. At 15, my dd can do just about any household job as well as I can, but at 7? No way.

Just to give a little more information, I check their jobs and let them know where they may have missed some dirt. When they feel they are done, they ask me to check and I'll let them know, for example, that the table is a little sticky in a certain area or that there is still food on the floor by the wall or whatever.

The chores are appropriate but I wouldn't expect perfection at that age, especially for the 7 year old. I'd expect to still be doing some of it behind them, to make sure the ants you mentioned didn't become an issue.

Edited by CathieC

My 8-year old is in charge of the dishes. He loads the dishwasher, washes the hand-wash dishes, dries them, empties the dishwasher, and puts them away. Sometime he needs help, and it's not always a great job, but he can do this job.

My 6 year old wipes down the table and chairs after meals. He also sweeps the dining room and takes out the garbage.

My 5 year old sets the table for meal and helps dry the dishes.

My three oldest kids also fold their own laundry, cleaning up their toys, and make their beds.

The also do other random chores during family cleaning time, but they are fully-capable of working. I won't yet let them clean the bathrooms, though.

Yes I agree the chores are age appropriate but you cant expect them to be perfect.

:iagree:

also, I assume that you have a younger child - that it isn't the 7yr-old using the highchair? I feel kindof funny abt making older siblings clean-up after youngsters like that. Highchairs can be quite a mess. I sort-of think that's a parents job.