Menu

Skinny foreign exchange student is obsessed with losing weight?

i was naturally 5'6" and 104lbs when i go pregnant with my daughter. I did not exercises a lot or watch what I ate. At the time I soo used the SAD diet but was "monitored" by friends and family that thought I was starving myself or making myself sick. I wasnt.

In general do you think she has a healthy self image or is she trying to keep fit for what ever sport she plays at home? Or is she trying to be an American model? Is she eating enough that you see?

i was naturally 5'6" and 104lbs when i go pregnant with my daughter. I did not exercises a lot or watch what I ate. At the time I soo used the SAD diet but was "monitored" by friends and family that thought I was starving myself or making myself sick. I wasnt.

In general do you think she has a healthy self image or is she trying to keep fit for what ever sport she plays at home? Or is she trying to be an American model? Is she eating enough that you see?

I don't know. I think she's worried about gaining weight in America.

My parents had an exchange student from Korea for a year. She was anorexic and bulimic. It was horrible for my parents trying to get her help.

Keep an eye on her.

Really? I will watch her. So far it isn't a big deal, but I also know her parents expect a lot out of her.

My Chinese friends in college were all hyper concerned with weight and BMI. They said there was a lot of pressure to remain at a BMI that would be considered underweight by US standards. We were in a nutrition class and discussed it quite a bit. I think it was somewhat normal for their culture.

My Chinese friends in college were all hyper concerned with weight and BMI. They said there was a lot of pressure to remain at a BMI that would be considered underweight by US standards. We were in a nutrition class and discussed it quite a bit. I think it was somewhat normal for their culture.

I hope so. I looked it up and it appears that ultra skinny is important in their culture.

I think she's worried about gaining weight in America.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: This is my guess.

Most of our exchange students have friends who said that they gained quite a bit of weight in America. Many of our students have gained weight as well, partly because of dietary changes (mainly less rice and more bread, though in our home we eat more rice than many American families), partly because they are studying very hard and excercising less, and partly because they eat out often.

Our Chinese student (who is back in the USA after summer break in China--we get to see her Sunday!!! :) ) calls herself "fat" even though she's what we'd consider a normal curvy size. She's about 5'4" and told me she was around 118. She was worried about her weight from day one even though she didn't really gain any weight while here in the U.S.

We've met quite a few young women from China through our exchange programs, high school and university students. If your student looks healthy, then 5'6" and 110 is probably a fairly normal size for her. If she's not losing weight, I'd just model a healthy attitude and keep an eye on her. If she starts losing weight, then it might be time to contact someone in your exchange program to see how to help.

Cat

:iagree::iagree::iagree: This is my guess.

Most of our exchange students have friends who said that they gained quite a bit of weight in America. Many of our students have gained weight as well, partly because of dietary changes (mainly less rice and more bread, though in our home we eat more rice than many American families), partly because they are studying very hard and excercising less, and partly because they eat out often.

Our Chinese student (who is back in the USA after summer break in China--we get to see her Sunday!!! :) ) calls herself "fat" even though she's what we'd consider a normal curvy size. She's about 5'4" and told me she was around 118. She was worried about her weight from day one even though she didn't really gain any weight while here in the U.S.

We've met quite a few young women from China through our exchange programs, high school and university students. If your student looks healthy, then 5'6" and 110 is probably a fairly normal size for her. If she's not losing weight, I'd just model a healthy attitude and keep an eye on her. If she starts losing weight, then it might be time to contact someone in your exchange program to see how to help.

Cat

Thanks. That is helpful. I will watch. :001_smile:

my dd is Korean born and she has always been very thin even tho she eats a normal amount. She belongs to a large Asian student club at community college and she says that everyone boys and girls are all thin. Dd is the only adopted one, she says all the rest of the kids eat mostly sushi and such so it must be in their culture to be thin.

my dd is 17 , barely 5 ft. tall and weight varies between 84 up to 88, she has a very small waist, very shaply hips and legs, broad shoulders and small bust. She has a nice figure.

However, dd does eat normal and loves pasta and pizza. We might be more concerned if she was not eating normally. So just keep an eye on your exchange student . You have probably found out which foods she enjoys and have plenty of those for her to eat.