Menu

Have you accepted your weight, knowing that

lol!! :D

Have you considered a home workout? I do all my exercise at home because going to the gym is so hard! If you have stairs, you can use them for exercise! Stair running is a sport! :D

I have many exercise videos and I do them as often as I can. My issue is again-my 18 month old. When she's napping we do school and I make calls for my DH for his work. He gets home late and I have no one to watch the baby while I exercise. So I'm trying as much as I can. I know once I wean around DD3's second birthday I'll be able to get more off. My body likes to hold on to fat while I'm nursing. I'm hoping to lose about 20-30 more after I wean.

I don't like the size I am these days but I like the person I have become. I don't judge people on looks....I know from experience that working out 7 days a week, eating the right calories can work. And I know from experience that same dedication may do absolutely nothing. I have lost 55 pounds before on WW. And I have gained weight on WW doing the same thing. My body does what it wants and my thyroid Dr just really can't help me much anymore.

But I also haven't given up on losing weight. It's more of a choice to live healthy. We eat well. But don't deny ourselves either. I am learning to accept one bite of something. Learning to order the smallest thing. Learning to share dessert with the family instead of each getting one.

I don't hate my scale. I just keep at it....knowing that all the working out, eating right is good for me. And if the weight comes off wonderful! But if not, I am happy with who I am as a person and my jean size isn't as important.

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Some of us have not had health insurance nor the finances for health care. In my case, I KNOW that I have some health issues, but until there is some way to pay for the doctors and tests, let alone get a doctor to see me, I'm stuck exactly where I am. Eating the best I am able on what I have and taking care of my family. If you have the ability to do more, count yourself blessed, but don't think less of others (not saying that you do, just a general reminder).

Yes, I understand that. :grouphug: I have been in that position before.

I am talking about people who try to say they don't need to change their diet/lifestyle because they are healthy. "I've been eating "insert name of crap food or drinking or cigarettes, here" and I'm just fine!" I talk to people a lot about nutrition and stuff, as I am constantly working on it, and tweaking our diet, learning new things about a healthy lifestyle, etc.

There are SO many people who just roll their eyes and completely disregard ANYTHING about a healthy lifestyle, and end it with, "blah blah blah, and I'm perfectly healthy/fine." And they know DARN WELL that they haven't had a physical or seen the doctor in years.

My BIL and I had a very long discussion about this b/c he dips and smokes. His "perfectly healthy" dad now has prostate cancer and he's only 50 something, things do not look good, primarily b/c he has spent a lifetime doing/eating what feels good and now his body is older and weaker than it should be. I see this type of thing ALL the time, for some reason. People go from thinking they are perfectly fine/healthy to speeding down the health hill very quickly. Because if you spend a lifetime not worrying about it, and doing whatever you want, rolling your eyes at the "health police", it eventually catches up to you and unfortunately, hits you all at once. And by then, it's usually too late to fix.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

And I meant to say earlier, to me, a healthy weight is not about a number... it's about looking and feeling healthy. It's about having low triglycerides, normal cholesterol, no sign of diabetes, etc. (Everyone has something they are genetically predisposed to.) Having a small "pouch" is not a big deal if everything else is good. Being 5-10 pounds over the "ideal" number is not a big deal (to me) as long as everything is good. But that's as far as I would go... people who are 50 pounds overweight and say they are just "big boned" put perfectly fine, or healthy, are full of you know what.

I am talking about people who try to say they don't need to change their diet/lifestyle because they are healthy. "I've been eating "insert name of crap food or drinking or cigarettes, here" and I'm just fine!"

But that's not what anyone here has been saying. It's really quite the opposite, in fact.

There is nothing wrong with accepting your weight if you are healthy and eat right and exercise. You are probably beautiful just as you are.

:iagree:

A fat body is not automatically an unhealthy body. A fat body can be fit. A fat body can offer health benefits especially to those of us getting older.

Very true. Plus, they have nicer-looking skin. ;)

Sharing this:

Much of the research linking excess weight and an increased risk of diabetes, heart disease, and cancer, among other chronic diseases, has been done on people who are obese, with a BMI of 30 or more. When the merely overweight folks are separated out, the health risks drop and sometimes even disappear.

Being overweight may not be associated with ANY risk of heart disease.

Although obese folks have a greater risk of dying from cancer or heart disease, those who are simply overweight have, surprisingly, no greater risk than normal-weight people. This was found from Britain’s Million Women Study.

----

And another one:

Scientists from the Mayo Clinic were questioning the accuracy and usefulness of the BMI. Reviewing data from 40 studies involving 250,000 people with heart disease, they found that while severely obese patients had a higher risk of death, overweight people had fewer heart problems than those with a normal BMI.

Because muscle weighs more than fat, many physically fit people are mistakenly classified as "overweight", while they are actually less likely to die young than a "normal" weight individual whose excess weight is mostly fat.

Yes, I'm fat. No, I'm not as fit as I'd like to be but I can still lug and stack firewood for hours, haul 60 lb bags of feed and go for long walks down my country road. I eat well and have no other health issues and every indicator of health that my doctor can measure seems to point to me being a healthy woman.

Good for you. :) Love your post.

I now workout pretty much every single day and love it. I try to eat as healthy as I can. I feel very good physically, far better than others I know who are at their desirable weight and barely exercise much at all. I'm at a point where I seldom weigh myself and am no longer going to allow a number to dictate my happiness and level of contentment. :)

Honestly, no. I'm not one of those people that can look good even when overweight. I'm short, short-waisted, and carry most of my extra weight in my stomach area. Blech. I also have diabetes as a very real concern for my future, so it is very important that I get the extra weight off.

However, I do accept that I will never be the size 4 I was when I was 22 years old. I can, however, work my way down to a size 10. Maybe a size 8, but I doubt it. I've lost 40 pounds over the past two years through a combination of diet and exercise. One or the other doesn't work for me. I have to do both. I want to lose at least 15 pounds more.

I only have two friends who are still thin. One has hyperthyroidism and anxiety; while she looks great, she isn't healthy. The other maintains her weight through lots and lots of exercise. She works out 4-5 hours a day teaching exercise classes, plus she exercises on her own another hour or two. She's obsessed with exercise. Her body looks great, and if you didn't see her face you'd guess she was 10-15 years younger than she is. Unfortunately, her face looks 10 years older than she really is. With no fat, every wrinkle shows. I'd rather be a little soft!

Edited by klmama

Her body looks great, and if you didn't see her face you'd guess she was 10-15 years younger than she is. Unfortunately, her face looks 10 years older than she really is. With no fat, every wrinkle shows. I'd rather be a little soft!

This is usually the case.

Sharing this. I've posted this before. If you've read it before, sorry to bore you. If not, I think it's interesting.

Catherine Deneuve has been credited with proclaiming that after a certain age, a woman needs to choose between her face and her behind — meaning that a lean body can result in a face that appears gaunt and haggard. Indeed, for women over 40, this is true.

Once you hit 40, you have to choose: your face or your figure. You can't have both.

I have a very plump face and it's the first place to gain weight and pretty much the last place to lose. Now that I'm older, I’m slowly learning to appreciate the fact that my face is plump and round.

I remember FIRST magazine had an article a while back comparing photos of famous people with the same exact age – one being very thin and the other of a more normal weight. The latter looked younger in every example. For example, Christie Brinkley and Cyndi McCain - Christie Brinkley looked MUCH younger. Cyndi McCain looked old. They also had Madonna and someone else and Madonna looked really old. She herself said that she made a conscious choice many years ago to choose figure over face. She knew about this. Well, it certainly showed.

A top dermatologist, Dr. Gerstner tells all her patients that the most important things they can do for their skin are:

• Wear sunscreen

• Avoid smoking

• Maintain a healthy body weight and avoid yo-yo dieting

She says, “A full, round face is youthful. Go back to your high school yearbook and look how full your cheeks were. A thin, gaunt face will make you look old.â€

Some dermatologists studied and photographed 186 sets of identical twins. They found:

• Under the age of 30 to 40, being overweight makes one look older. For these women, extra pounds can obscure youthful features like a smooth jawline and cause facial skin to sag.

• After the age of 30 to 40, being too thin and skinny is definitely aging. From here on out, a little additional weight is okay and may help you look younger. Additional weight fills in and softens wrinkles, making a heavier twin look younger than her sister.

There's lots more when it comes to the aging stuff, but for the purposes of this thread, I've only shared the weight/skin thing.