Menu

Have you accepted your weight, knowing that

you're doing all you can do to be healthy at this time in your life?

I could lose 20 pounds (maybe 25-30) and I would feel better about how I look. You wouldn't look at me and say, "She's fat," but I am curvy, and have been slimmer in the past.

It takes A LOT of work for me to lose weight. I mean, A LOT! The times in my life where I have lost weight, I was practically obsessive about what/how/when I ate, and I exercised vigorously nearly every day. I had to devote lots of mental energy to it to make it happen (the weight loss, that it).

So, at this point in my life, with high school and middle school dc, and all the accompanying work that's involved with managing their school and activities, a husband that works long, long hours, and menopause :glare:, I just can't seem to lose weight. I do exercise regularly, and I'm careful about what I eat. But even that only results in my maintaining weight. If I let up on that, I'll gain. But to lose? Crikey, I can't even imagine what I'd need to do to make that happen. I just don't think I WANT to devote that kind of mental and emotional space, and time, to doing what would be necessary to lose weight.

I'm wondering if any of you have just accepted the fact that you're a little heavier than you'd like to be, and you just don't plan on doing anything about it. Again, I'm healthy and active, just a little...soft. :D

No, because I know I'm not doing all I could be doing. There is no such thing as one cookie with me. It's the whole sleeve of Thin Mints or nothing. And I really dislike/don't have a lot of time for exercise. I have to force myself to do anything intentionally strenuous.

I am working on it though. I'm really trying to get back to pre-baby weight by his first birthday, but even then, I could stand to lose another 15-25 pounds.

I do try to not be unhappy with my current weight though. I try not to let it effect my self-image that I'm a little fluffier than I'd prefer. I'm a worthy human no matter what size I am. I'd just like to be a slightly smaller worthy human.

I could lose 20 pounds (maybe 25-30) and I would feel better about how I look. You wouldn't look at me and say, "She's fat," but I am curvy, and have been slimmer in the past.

It takes A LOT of work for me to lose weight. I mean, A LOT! The times in my life where I have lost weight, I was practically obsessive about what/how/when I ate, and I exercised vigorously nearly every day. I had to devote lots of mental energy to it to make it happen (the weight loss, that it).

So, at this point in my life, with high school and middle school dc, and all the accompanying work that's involved with managing their school and activities, a husband that works long, long hours, and menopause :glare:, I just can't seem to lose weight. I do exercise regularly, and I'm careful about what I eat. But even that only results in my maintaining weight. If I let up on that, I'll gain. But to lose? Crikey, I can't even imagine what I'd need to do to make that happen. I just don't think I WANT to devote that kind of mental and emotional space, and time, to doing what would be necessary to lose weight.

I'm wondering if any of you have just accepted the fact that you're a little heavier than you'd like to be, and you just don't plan on doing anything about it. Again, I'm healthy and active, just a little...soft. :D

No...I'm still that hot, young 20 year old....right? RIGHT????:tongue_smilie:

In my dreams.

Seriously, I do eat well. But unless I eat a lettuce leaf a day, I don't seem to lose, at this age. Still hopeful!

So, at this point in my life, . . . I just can't seem to lose weight. . . .. I just don't think I WANT to devote that kind of mental and emotional space, and time, to doing what would be necessary to lose weight.

:D

:iagree: I had considered commenting on other WTM weight loss threads to voice this. I "wog" (walk/jog) 3 times a week, and watch what I eat . . . but also snack a bit daily to keep my composure with the kids.

I am not losing weight, but I am not gaining, and I am committed NOT to quit "wogging" . . . but I'm not ready/able to spend more time/effort on exercise & more deprivation of food.

It's nice to hear someone verbalize what has been going on in my head the past few weeks (WHILE I wog, actually)!

I could be MORE healthy & fit, but if I stopped doing what I was doing I would definitely LOSE the health & fitness I have (I guess)!:001_smile:

Oh my you have written my story! Two years ago I began doing circuit training, long walks, (4-8 miles a day), and power yoga. Six days a week, at least an hour a day. I've lost 0 pounds. Oh I have managed to get to a size 10 and stay there but no matter what I do I do NOT lose. I will even count my calories religiously and still NOT lose on the scale. ERRRRRR. Sometimes while counting calories for a time I will actually GAIN a pound or two. I weigh 170 and only 5'4" but because I work out so hard I carry my weight okay. I would love to shed that last 20 lbs but it is not happening. I am strong and healthy but not light. I would love to chat more with you and see what, if anything we can do to get that dern scale to move!! Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper videos are what I use most often. And if you have done their workouts you will know it's not easy. But that scale will not move an inch.

No. I still keep a pair of jeans I will most likely never fit into. I won't accept defeat though & by keeping them I have a glimmer of hope:D

Susan

LOL. I have those jeans. I think they are from 1977. I'm GOING to get into them again. They might look weird, but I'm going to do it. In fact, it will have been so long that maybe they will be back in style.:tongue_smilie:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Yes! In fact, I could've written that exact post word for word.

No. Never. :D I'm not overweight, because I work my butt off (literally) not to be. It's harder the older I get, but I'm afraid of what might happen if I did let myself go. Actually, I know what would happen, and I'm not going there.

I always have about ten pounds to lose at the beginning of every year, because I'm not overly careful about what I eat during "eating season"...Halloween through Christmas. I just order two weeks of stuff from http://www.dietdirect.com and it all goes away. Wonderslim products truly are wonderful. :D

Well. . . I go back and forth between resigned and depressed acceptance of being 64 pounds overweight and railing against the injustice of my metabolism and/or anything else keeping me this weight. I don't gain or lose no matter what my emotional state.;) I eat good healthy non processed food that is calorically at the lower part of my supposed goal for losing 2 pounds a week. I exercise hard, 5 days a week, cardio kickboxing 1 of those days and doing Zumba 4 days. I am dripping with sweat at the end of each of those hours of exercise. I am taking cinnamon capsules to keep my blood sugar steady, thus supposedly making it easier for my body to lose weight. I have a diet buddy and track my food and exercise daily at Sparkpeople. I have done this religiously for 3 years and have lost a grand total of (drum roll please. . .!) 10 pounds.

I am fat. I look fat. I have medical problems due to my weight. I can't possibly tell myself that I'm healthy at this weight. I have had two different nutritionists look at my honest recording of my diet. I have talked to two different doctors who don't know what to tell me after I tell them what I do to lose weight because it is what "should" work and doesn't. I keep doing what I am doing (eating well and exercising hard) because I actually like to eat well and I have grown to like the exercise as well (most of the time - sometimes the pain makes it hard to like). I cannot do an extreme diet because I have and will get sick if I do.

Please don't share with me what I should do differently. I have heard it all, honest.

No. Never. :D I'm not overweight, because I work my butt off (literally) not to be. It's harder the older I get, but I'm afraid of what might happen if I did let myself go. Actually, I know what would happen, and I'm not going there.

I always have about ten pounds to lose at the beginning of every year, because I'm not overly careful about what I eat during "eating season"...Halloween through Christmas. I just order two weeks of stuff from http://www.dietdirect.com and it all goes away. Wonderslim products truly are wonderful. :D

Eating Season :lol::lol::lol: LOVE it!

LOL at Eating Season....:lol: soooooooo true!

No, I have not accepted my weight. :blush: I had for a time because I was trying so hard to lose and nothing was happening....

I gave it one last effort w/ LowCarb/High Fat...made some big changes and continued the hard work and I"m down 8lbs w/ only 5 more to my goal. The biggest part is that I feel good eating this way, and can really see myself continuing to eat this way (albeit it with more veggies etc when in maintenance) (and its gone fairly slow, so please don't assume its just water weight- LOL)

I recently heard the saying "Losing weight is hard; Being overweight is hard-pick your hard" and it really spoke to me because it so true- just different 'kinds' of hard.

I've run for years and resent being flabby but fit- LOL. I run 3-4x a week and am officially starting training for my first marathon during prime 'eating season' this year LOL For me, exercise doesn't create weight loss- eating less/differently does. Anyway- my dream for myself is to be active/fit well into my 60's and beyond....and I"m not planning on heading into menopause 15lbs overweight if I can help it- from what I've heard it doesn't get any easier....

All that to say, I will always fight to stay at a good weight- hopefully forever. I agree with Diane- I'm afraid of what would happen if I didn't fight....

No, I'm not talking about "letting myself go." I'm a cancer survivor, and I could never do that, just knowing how much nutrition affects our disease-fighting abilities. Not to mention, I don't want to let myself become grossly overweight (for health and vanity purposes).

I just don't want to work my butt off (literally). I want to exercise and eat regularly and in moderation. I want to not obsess about what I weigh, or what size I wear. I want to raise my family and pursue my interests, which do not include hours at the gym.

I'm wondering if it's possible to be okay with being a little overweight. I see for some of you it isn't, and I'm wondering if I feel okay with it, does that mean something's wrong with me? :001_unsure:

I am 70 lbs overweight. I am fat. I know it. I look it. The only thing that will make me lose weight is starving myself, and that just isn't healthy. I take that back, the doctor has told me that medication will have me lose the weight quickly because my diet and exercise habits are good. The one down side to that is that when I stop taking the medication, the weight will come back...No thank you. So, I am fat and healthy. I'd rather be that way than thin and sick. (The oddest thing is that in the last couple of weeks I have lost 7 pounds. I haven't done anything differently. Maybe my body has decided to be thinner????)

I just don't want to work my butt off (literally). I want to exercise and eat regularly and in moderation. I want to not obsess about what I weigh, or what size I wear. I want to raise my family and pursue my interests, which do not include hours at the gym.

I'm wondering if it's possible to be okay with being a little overweight. I see for some of you it isn't, and I'm wondering if I feel okay with it, does that mean something's wrong with me? :001_unsure:

Nothing is wrong with you. You are doing what is important for your health: exercising and eating well. You go, girl! Keep it up. If you've decided that looking the way you do now is fine, it's FINE! In fact, unless your bit of extra weight is around your waist, it's not harmful and may actually be healthy for you. There have been a few recent studies that have come out about somewhat overweight people having better longevity that thinner ones, and that the fat around the hips and legs may actually be protective. If it's around your waist and your waist is over 35 inches, you may want to keep at the weight loss for the sake of your health. But otherwise, it sounds like you're making a wise choice all round for your health: exercise, eat well, chill out, accept yourself, invest time in your family. Sounds good to me!

I used to be a four, and realize that is just not ever going to happen again. Ever. I had to run three and a half miles and do Pilates every day in addition to sticking to a strict diet (18-23 WW points a day). I don't have time for that nonsense, and I refuse to be hangry and ugly to my kids. So, I have accepted that eight is my new four, at least until my kids get significantly more self sufficient. I hung on to hope for four years, but finally realized that I was not getting into my pre-preggo clothes and bought new clothes that fit. That was the white flag of surrender to my new size.

No. I have a thyroid issue that sporadically causes me to gain 20lbs in a month or two. And then it is more difficult for me to lose the weight than the average person. But I count calories, weigh my food, lift weights, run.....anything to get my body back in shape. And I go weeks or months without bread, pasta, rice or processed foods.

Sometimes my friends don't understand and tell me to live a little and enjoy life. I do enjoy life, though. I just don't need a certain type of food to do it, kwim?

No, I'm not talking about "letting myself go." I'm a cancer survivor, and I could never do that, just knowing how much nutrition affects our disease-fighting abilities. Not to mention, I don't want to let myself become grossly overweight (for health and vanity purposes).

Of COURSE it's ok for you!! I'm only speaking for myself (I misunderstood your question, my apologies), and I would only presume to speak for myself. You do whatever makes you happy and whatever is best for you.

I seriously don't even really think about what anyone else weighs or what they look like. I just don't care enough (said in the nicest way possible :lol:). But honestly, I think we're all worried about other people judging us or thinking less of us for how we look, but most people are too wrapped up in their own "stuff" to worry about somebody else's weight problem.

My efforts at keeping my weight down are all about me, and me only. For me, I would be more miserable being overweight. Other people are more miserable exercising or constantly dieting. Accept who you are and what you want and then move on. And be happy!!! :D

Of COURSE it's ok for you!! I'm only speaking for myself (I misunderstood your question, my apologies), and I would only presume to speak for myself. You do whatever makes you happy and whatever is best for you.

I seriously don't even really think about what anyone else weighs or what they look like. I just don't care enough (said in the nicest way possible :lol:). But honestly, I think we're all worried about other people judging us or thinking less of us for how we look, but most people are too wrapped up in their own "stuff" to worry about somebody else's weight problem.

My efforts at keeping my weight down are all about me, and me only. For me, I would be more miserable being overweight. Other people are more miserable exercising or constantly dieting. Accept who you are and what you want and then move on. And be happy!!! :D

I agree... I didn't mean to infer that everyone needs to have my opinion. :). I love to run, be fit and strong and be average size. I feel tired, depressed and grouchy when I'm not 'taking care of myself' that way. But obviously, that's me. Most people don't care to run a marathon either. Ever. So I get that I'm wired for challenge or something.... And yes it takes time and commitment and effort to watch what I eat (and exercise) but I think I've made peace with the fact that watching what I eat and exercising will need to be a part of my life forever :-)

If you are truly happy in your skin, embrace your size and don't think about it again. Really. Life is too short to live with self obsession.

Yup. Don't really care. I'm trying to be as healthy as possible, but I refuse to starve.

:iagree: I'm over 40. I can't lose weight. I can maintain though. My mom says it's just how my body feels comfortable.

I recently revamped my style and am happy with the clothes I wear and how I look in them. I keep meaning to post pictures here. A couple people have asked. I've gone rockabilly/classic 50's style. Maybe next week.

Really, changing my style solved tons of my esteem issues. And my dh loves all my new dresses. :)

Yes, I've had to. I've also had to remind myself that some of this is probably related to other health issues and the fact that I've had eleven pregnancies and been pregnant/nursing most for most of my adult life. I still hope to lose some, but I also know that weight can be useful should one get extremely ill.

I used to be underweight. That has it's own set of health problems (and, yes, they can be just as bad or worse than being overweight).

Edited by mommaduck

I've learned to accept my saddlebags. When the Zombie Apocalypse happens and the Zombies cut off our food supply, I will be happy I thought to store that extra food in my thighs;).

I am a pro at weight loss. Maintaining weight? I flunk.:glare:

I could theoretically get down into a size 2, but I just don't want to run at a fast pace for 1hour+ a day and watch every little thing I eat. I want to get a decent amount of physical activity (karate classes, 30-40min on the treadmill/exercise bike, hiking, weights, etc.), eat a generally healthy diet, and just embrace the saddlebags. I'm 5'2", weigh around 130-135lbs, and wear a 4 or 6 (I carry a lot of muscle on my frame). Dh still wants me, I can move without pain, and I feel great. The saddlebags aren't going away without lipo, so I just tell myself they are my Zombie Apocalypse Insurance Plan.

Gina, pretty much every single thing you mentioned is what I am experiencing and how I feel. I've come to just accept my weight and try to be healthy.

I don't think I look obese. I know that I look overweight and plump. I'm curvy and could stand to lose 25 or so pounds. But I have more pressing needs at this point in my life. Weight is not my number one priority by any means. I am trying to exercise and eat healthier. The latter is challenging. One of my main reasons for exercise these days is to keep my sanity and reduce stress, not to lose weight. I can't seem to eat tiny portions these days. Again, I have bigger fish to fry at this point in my life.

unless I eat a lettuce leaf a day, I don't seem to lose, at this age.

Yep. Me too.

I refuse to starve.

Me too. Me and starvation, not a pretty sight and not fun to be around. :glare:

I weigh 170 and only 5'4"

I'm shorter than you and weigh more than you ... :tongue_smilie:

I've learned to accept my saddlebags. When the Zombie Apocalypse happens and the Zombies cut off our food supply, I will be happy I thought to store that extra food in my thighs.

:lol: Yep, for me, it's my tummy. I'm storing my food supply there. :D

I am a pro at weight loss. Maintaining weight? I flunk.:glare:

Me too.

If I'm working out, eating healthfully, sleeping, connected, etc. in other words doing all the things I know are good for me I try to rock whatever weight I'm at. If I'm slacking on those things then I don't feel well and can't accept or be happy because I physically feel gross. It took me 49 years to figure that out. I'm a slow learner. YMMV:001_smile:

May I respectfully suggest high fat/low carb (in the 30 to 40 gram range). If that doesn't work, have your doc check whether you are insulin resistant in a OGTT (oral glucose tolerance test) and put you on Metformin. Metformin really makes you lose weight (I believe some people use it just for this), has been around for a long time, will help your lipid profile and has few side effects (mild diarrhea while adjusting, monitor B12).

No, because accepting an unhealthy, soft body is the sure path to the chronic diseases that plague nearly all Americans who are middle aged and over. :sad:

I'm nearly 45 and about a year ago I got really tired of the direction I was heading. Everytime I went to the dr., my weight was higher plus I was taking medication that causes weight gain--so I had that going for me.

I decided to fight and fight hard. I didn't want to spend the last 30 years of my life like most Americans do--in pain, fatigue, discomfort and increasing independence.

I wanted energy, strength, vitality and wellness.

There were other people like that who are my age; why not me? :)

So I starting fighting and I now feel better and have more energy and more muscle than I have probably had since my teenaged years.

I'm rooting for you, Gina! :grouphug:

I keep trying. I gained 10 lbs. when my knee was inflamed and then I gained another 10 lbs when I had my gallbladder surgery. (grrr) but I am eating super healthy and I work out at least 4 days a week.

I am fitting in a morning routine at 5:30 for an hour now....this is our first week. I havent lost an oz. doing it...which is frustrating...IM sure it is muscle gain..but I will continue even if I dont loose weight. I had been doing 30 minutes a day with a video at home. I have tightened up...which is nice. I really want to loose 20-25 lbs. but just like you...no one would look at me and say Im fat...Im just very short and a little bit goes a long way. My goal is to keep in excellent cardiovascular shape so I will grow old gracefully (hopefully) ;)

If I'm working out, eating healthfully, sleeping, connected, etc. in other words doing all the things I know are good for me I try to rock whatever weight I'm at. If I'm slacking on those things then I don't feel well and can't accept or be happy because I physically feel gross. It took me 49 years to figure that out. I'm a slow learner. YMMV:001_smile:

:iagree: This is exactly how I feel. When I get any sort of exercise, eat mindfully, spend time with dh ;), get a decent amount of sleep, and let the small things not bother me I feel happy in my skin. I feel strong. I feel sexy. But as soon as I don't do one of those activities, I fall apart.

No, because accepting an unhealthy, soft body is the sure path to the chronic diseases that plague nearly all Americans who are middle aged and over. :sad:

I'm nearly 45 and about a year ago I got really tired of the direction I was heading. Everytime I went to the dr., my weight was higher plus I was taking medication that causes weight gain--so I had that going for me.

I decided to fight and fight hard. I didn't want to spend the last 30 years of my life like most Americans do--in pain, fatigue, discomfort and increasing independence.

I wanted energy, strength, vitality and wellness.

There were other people like that who are my age; why not me? :)

So I starting fighting and I now feel better and have more energy and more muscle than I have probably had since my teenaged years.

I'm rooting for you, Gina! :grouphug:

This, in bolded. I am a lot more overweight than you, I am also pregnant.

Do you get yearly check-ups where you get your cholesterol and all that checked?? You should do that every year. You can say you are healthy all day long, but unless you have numbers to back that up, don't believe it! My mom said that ALL the time.... but she NEVER goes to the doctor, so I made her, LOL. High cholesterol, pre-diabetic and she just had a hysterectomy b/c she had so many fibroids in her uterus, it was enlarged! Just b/c you feel OK and don't have any symptoms, does not necessarily mean you are healthy.

I won't stop trying to lose weight until my triglycerides, HDL and HgA1C are all at numbers that scream health. I also have diabetes to stave off! I have gestational diabetes (for the 2nd time) right now :(

I am only 31, but I pay attention. I know people at church and in my family, who have accepted their weight. And at first, they are very confident in that, saying things like "Oh well" and "I'm doing all I can"... "eating healthy is too expensive" and "gym memberships are too expensive". And my favorite most ignorant phrase EVER, "We all gotta go sometime, might as well enjoy myself!!" :glare:

Well, it doesn't take long for their health to fail and then it's SCARY how quickly they go downhill!! SCARY!!

The next thing you know they are on prednisone for years, which makes them gain even more. They can't move, they have NO energy. Then they start having grandkids and lament about how they don't have energy to spend too much time with them. They are sick and tired from side effects from medicines. They are spending HUNDREDS, if not thousands, of dollars a month on medical visits, tests and prescription drugs. (I think it would have cost them A LOT LESS to just shell out some money for healthy food and a gym membership before allowing themselves to get to that point!) And they actually think it's just something that happens when you get older... Um, NO! It does NOT have to be that way!

I have seen this lead to a person get so big and unhealthy that they are homebound, and their spouse, who is still very healthy, is also basically homebound b/c they have to take care of their sick spouse. So much for the retirement that they worked and saved for all those years!! That person died in their 60's and left the spouse all alone :( Vast majority of retirement funds spent on spouses health, despite having health insurance :(

I will NOT do that to my spouse. I will NOT do that to my kids or grandkids. I will NOT trade in a minute of guilty pleasure for years of pain and sickness. I just won't. I can't.

So, I will keep working on losing weight and being healthy. I will spend more on healthy food, say no to junk and keep my gym membership (and actually go!). I will try, try, try some more and NEVER be OK with being fat or overweight.

Good luck in whatever you decide!! :grouphug:

I just recently decided to purge all the clothes I've been hoping to fit into again. I don't have much to lose to feel my best (5-10 lbs). But I don't eat much and with me being 47 it just isn't as easy anymore. Recently, I realized that I've thought about my weight all my life and it is depressing to put on a pair of pants that are too tight. So I went though my closet and got rid of all that doesn't fit and haven't worn in awhile. It is refreshing. I'm trying my best to be happy where I am. I still am active. I've been trying to run 3 times a week (doing couch 25K). Lately, my legs and hips have been hurting so I'm taking a quick breather. This is a good thread.

I'm at a place where I waffle between being comfortable and not. I lost weight on Weight Watchers and am officially out of the overweight range but my stomach is still big. My doctor is happy with the overall loss because I'm supposedly no longer at risk for some things. But I simply cannot work on losing weight anymore. My stomach is what it is and I have accepted that. FWIW, the leaders at Weight Watcher told me that I only needed to lose to get to a point where I was comfortable. Of course they recommend you get into the healthy weight range but you can stop at the top end of that range if you want to. Most days I'm okay with where I am. Some days I look at my stomach that looks pregnant and I just hate it. Maybe I balance out and stay neutral. :)

Oh, and I got rid of the clothes that I wore before I gained weight. I know I will not fit into them again until maybe when I'm an elderly lady like my 90 yr. old grandmother. I doubt I'll be wearing the same style by then. Having those jeans wasn't motivating. It was hurting me and making me feel like a failure.

We sound very similiar. It takes massive effort on my part to lose. Tons of time in the gym, interval training, watching every single stinking bite I put in my mouth, etc. I've lost 20 since June but that was during summer when we weren't doing school and I had time to exercise every day. Right now I might get to exercise 3-4 times a week. I have 4 DC (including an 18mo), a self employed husband going into his busiest time of year, a crazy schedule and no outside help. So yeah at this point in my life I know I'm doing everything I can do. I eat fairly low carb and I try but this weight isn't coming off until I kill myself in the gym and this isn't a season where I can do that right now. If someone has a problem with that they can watch my kids so I can go to the gym!! :D

Do you get yearly check-ups where you get your cholesterol and all that checked?? You should do that every year. You can say you are healthy all day long, but unless you have numbers to back that up, don't believe it! My mom said that ALL the time.... but she NEVER goes to the doctor, so I made her, LOL. High cholesterol, pre-diabetic and she just had a hysterectomy b/c she had so many fibroids in her uterus, it was enlarged! Just b/c you feel OK and don't have any symptoms, does not necessarily mean you are healthy.

Some of us have not had health insurance nor the finances for health care. In my case, I KNOW that I have some health issues, but until there is some way to pay for the doctors and tests, let alone get a doctor to see me, I'm stuck exactly where I am. Eating the best I am able on what I have and taking care of my family. If you have the ability to do more, count yourself blessed, but don't think less of others (not saying that you do, just a general reminder).

I've been 5-10 lbs over the weight I want to be for years. I don't look overweight but do look "soft." I recently lost 4 lbs by cutting my sugar and white flour consumption and adding more vegetables, protein and fat. I figure it is a permanent thing, but I don't really want to cut any more. I like food, I just adjust my diet daily to maintain where I am now. If I eat chocolate cake one day, the next day I try to stay completely away from sugar and flour. If I eat junky food at a party, I might skip a meal and eat a salad for breakfast the next day.

I'm not unhealthy. I power walk several times a week and do som t-tapp exercises. My stomach muscles are firm and flat but for some reason (5 kids) I've got this flabby, fatty pouch right over those firm muscles. That kills me. It will probably never go away. So, I'm trying to accept it gracefully. I look around and cannot find many elderly women that look fit and toned. (Jamie Lee Curtis?)There seem to be two kinds, the ones that tend toward softness and the ones that look scrawny. Maybe it is unrealistic to expect anything else without surgery. Just some rambling thoughts I get on this subject.

I go back & forth with this issue. I'm 38 (in November), 5'6", and 141 lbs.

I can diet and exercise like crazy to get down to 130 (size 6) where I feel I look fantastic, but the least letting up on this and I go back to 140 (size 10/12). It's really depressing! I just don't have the time and energy to do this anymore! Seriously, how do you keep this up with four kids to teach, plus a normal level of outside activities (church, scouts, etc.) and normal household duties (cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.)???

Lately, I'm (trying to be) in a quasi-acceptance phase. Sigh. :tongue_smilie:

A fat body is not automatically an unhealthy body. A fat body can be fit. A fat body can offer health benefits especially to those of us getting older.

The relationship between fat and health issues is often one of correlation not causation. Things that can cause fat like unhealthy eating, lack of exercise, underlying health problems are generally the underlying culprit. This is a serious health issue because it's common for doctors to not get this and to address health issues that correlate to fat by simply telling people to get rid of the fat and not look at underlying issues that may be the real cause.

The obsession with fat these days is not a rational one. There's little to no discussion about the actual evidence for claims made or about what truly constitutes a healthy lifestyle. Evidence that points to the benefits of being fat is labeled a "paradox" and rarely mentioned in general discussion.

Yes, I'm fat. No, I'm not as fit as I'd like to be but I can still lug and stack firewood for hours, haul 60 lb bags of feed and go for long walks down my country road. I eat well and have no other health issues and every indicator of health that my doctor can measure seems to point to me being a healthy woman. I'm not going to let public hysteria over weight cause me to question those objective measures.

There's a great blog that championed this issue, had links to other sites and the studies the author referenced - http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.ca/ . The author doesn't update it anymore but all the information and past posts are still there.

I've learned to accept my saddlebags. When the Zombie Apocalypse happens and the Zombies cut off our food supply, I will be happy I thought to store that extra food in my thighs;).

Dh still wants me, I can move without pain, and I feel great. The saddlebags aren't going away without lipo, so I just tell myself they are my Zombie Apocalypse Insurance Plan.

:lol::lol: Glad to know I'm prepared for a Zombie Apocalypse!

Last fall my dh gave me the greatest gift he's ever given me in the 20 years we've known each other. He sat me down one day and had a mini "intervention." He told me how beautiful I am, how desirable. Then, he proceeded to tell me I had to quit obsessing about my weight. I've run for years but last summer I decided I needed to lose weight so I ran hard 6days/week and ate 1200 calories/day. I'm 5'3 and weighed around 125 at the time. I wanted to lose 10 pounds and after 6 weeks of this I had turned into crazy, irritable witch mom/wife and had only lost 3 pounds.:mad: He suggested I stop connecting my running and my weight and focus on running faster or longer or find a race or something. He reminded me that I used to enjoy running and now it was a chore and burden.

It was such a blessing to me (after I took a few days to think it over and decide he was right). The joy is back in my running and exercising now. I eat healthy, but I eat. (1200 calories a day is just NOT enough).

I'm still 5'3 and I currently weigh about 124 (+/- 3 pounds depending on the day). But, I ran a 19-miler in under 4 hours last week and I loved it! I feel good, I play with my kids, dh still wants me, I have energy and I'm happy.

I don't know if dh realized what a monster he was creating.:tongue_smilie: I went from running 4 miles 4 times a week, to running a 10k, then a Half-Marathon and now I'm training for a full Marathon (Nov 10th!!! Wahooo!!!:D). But, I feel healthy and look healthy and I've accepted myself: big hips and all.

There is nothing wrong with accepting your weight if you are healthy and eat right and exercise. You are probably beautiful just as you are.

:iagree:

If you are truly in a healthy place mentally, emotionally, and physically, I say let it go. Focus on some other goal in your life and continue to live a healthy lifestyle. Be happy in your own skin!:D

Edited by Jen+4dc

A fat body is not automatically an unhealthy body. A fat body can be fit. A fat body can offer health benefits especially to those of us getting older.

The relationship between fat and health issues is often one of correlation not causation. Things that can cause fat like unhealthy eating, lack of exercise, underlying health problems are generally the underlying culprit. This is a serious health issue because it's common for doctors to not get this and to address health issues that correlate to fat by simply telling people to get rid of the fat and not look at underlying issues that may be the real cause.

The obsession with fat these days is not a rational one. There's little to no discussion about the actual evidence for claims made or about what truly constitutes a healthy lifestyle. Evidence that points to the benefits of being fat is labeled a "paradox" and rarely mentioned in general discussion.

Yes, I'm fat. No, I'm not as fit as I'd like to be but I can still lug and stack firewood for hours, haul 60 lb bags of feed and go for long walks down my country road. I eat well and have no other health issues and every indicator of health that my doctor can measure seems to point to me being a healthy woman. I'm not going to let public hysteria over weight cause me to question those objective measures.

There's a great blog that championed this issue, had links to other sites and the studies the author referenced - http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.ca/ . The author doesn't update it anymore but all the information and past posts are still there.

It's not about weight, it's about health. I know many larger people that are more fit than most "thin and supposedly fit" people.

:iagree: I'm over 40. I can't lose weight. I can maintain though. My mom says it's just how my body feels comfortable.

I recently revamped my style and am happy with the clothes I wear and how I look in them. I keep meaning to post pictures here. A couple people have asked. I've gone rockabilly/classic 50's style. Maybe next week.

Really, changing my style solved tons of my esteem issues. And my dh loves all my new dresses. :)

I'd love to see your new look.

I recently turned 45 yo and went out and cut my long hair super super short (Halle Berry style) and invested in new make up. Going for new glasses/contacts tomorrow.

I'm trying to find a clothing style to suit me because I need new everything.

For the record, I'm 5'6.5", 37yrs old, and last time I weighed was six months ago at 210-220lbs. I know I've lost some weight...size 18 jeans, XL top (still nursing though). Honestly, I know MANY people that are where I am at after just one or two pregnancies. I only ballooned up after this past pregnancy when the pregnancy triggered my immune system to attack me. Before that I was at 160-170lbs. I felt healthiest at 140-160lbs. Prior to children, I was 100lbs.

It's not about weight, it's about health. I know many larger people that are more fit than most "thin and supposedly fit" people.

Exactly, and it's sad and rather surprising to me that more people don't realize this.

Yes, I'd probably look better if I lost 10-20 pounds (especially since I'm very short and every pound shows). But according to my doc all my numbers are in the "to be envied" range. For which I am extremely thankful, because I have much thinner friends my age who've been on BP and/or cholesterol meds for years already. Health is much, much more complicated than just weight.

No. I am dedicating myself to losing weight and becoming healthier. Diabetes runs in my family so I have got to get on the ball and get myself together. I am 45 and yes it's harder to lose weight but I am determined. I joined myfitnesspal and downloaded the app to my iPad. I keep track of every bite I eat, trying to keep it to 1400 calories per day. I am including exercise which allows you to have more calories. I have lost 1.2 pounds in the last three days doing this.

I hope to lose 20 but if I could lose and maintain15 I would be happy.

No. I am dedicating myself to losing weight and becoming healthier. Diabetes runs in my family so I have got to get on the ball and get myself together. I am 45 and yes it's harder to lose weight but I am determined. I joined myfitnesspal and downloaded the app to my iPad. I keep track of every bite I eat, trying to keep it to 1400 calories per day. I am including exercise which allows you to have more calories. I have lost 1.2 pounds in the last three days doing this.

I hope to lose 20 but if I could lose and maintain15 I would be happy.

I love your attitude!!! :)

in a way, yes, I am resigned to the fact I am this size. I no longer allow myself to get depressed about it though and here is why: I remember being skinny and thinking how could women let their stomach get that big? I judged before having kids and thyroid disease wreak havoc on my body. The thyroid disease didn't just add weight and kill my metabolism but I also have double vision that can't be corrected. My PCOS is another issue to my stomach these days and my endometriosis causes me so much pain even when I get going on exercise it often keeps me in bed monthly.

I don't like the size I am these days but I like the person I have become. I don't judge people on looks....I know from experience that working out 7 days a week, eating the right calories can work. And I know from experience that same dedication may do absolutely nothing. I have lost 55 pounds before on WW. And I have gained weight on WW doing the same thing. My body does what it wants and my thyroid Dr just really can't help me much anymore.

I do think finding clothes that work for you is important. My summer wardrobe is bummy(tshirts/shorts) but for winter I have nicer tops, shoes and jeans that fit.

But I also haven't given up on losing weight. It's more of a choice to live healthy. We eat well. But don't deny ourselves either. I am learning to accept one bite of something. Learning to order the smallest thing. Learning to share dessert with the family instead of each getting one.

We work out 5 days a week. My thyroid Dr advised me more weight lifting for my issues. Weight lifting helps me tone and lose a little weight. We are active....kayaking, hiking, walking....but I do the treadmill/bike in the winter since we aren't outside as much.

I don't hate my scale. I just keep at it....knowing that all the working out, eating right is good for me. And if the weight comes off wonderful! But if not, I am happy with who I am as a person and my jean size isn't as important.

Last fall my dh gave me the greatest gift he's ever given me in the 20 years we've known each other. He sat me down one day and had a mini "intervention." He told me how beautiful I am, how desirable. Then, he proceeded to tell me I had to quit obsessing about my weight. I've run for years but last summer I decided I needed to lose weight so I ran hard 6days/week and ate 1200 calories/day. I'm 5'3 and weighed around 125 at the time. I wanted to lose 10 pounds and after 6 weeks of this I had turned into crazy, irritable witch mom/wife and had only lost 3 pounds.:mad: He suggested I stop connecting my running and my weight and focus on running faster or longer or find a race or something. He reminded me that I used to enjoy running and now it was a chore and burden.

It was such a blessing to me (after I took a few days to think it over and decide he was right). The joy is back in my running and exercising now. I eat healthy, but I eat. (1200 calories a day is just NOT enough).

I'm still 5'3 and I currently weigh about 124 (+/- 3 pounds depending on the day). But, I ran a 19-miler in under 4 hours last week and I loved it! I feel good, I play with my kids, dh still wants me, I have energy and I'm happy.

I don't know if dh realized what a monster he was creating.:tongue_smilie: I went from running 4 miles 4 times a week, to running a 10k, then a Half-Marathon and now I'm training for a full Marathon (Nov 10th!!! Wahooo!!!:D). But, I feel healthy and look healthy and I've accepted myself: big hips and all.

:iagree:

If you are truly in a healthy place mentally, emotionally, and physically, I say let it go. Focus on some other goal in your life and continue to live a healthy lifestyle. Be happy in your own skin!:D

Love this! :001_smile:

lol!! :D

Have you considered a home workout? I do all my exercise at home because going to the gym is so hard! If you have stairs, you can use them for exercise! Stair running is a sport! :D

I workout at home too and prefer it! No babysitter to deal with, no gym membership fee's, and if I fall flat on my face for trying to challenge myself NOBODY gets to see! :p

I use to workout 5 days a week. Now I workout twice a week and feel just fine. I also changed my lifestyle and went vegan. I'm now 100% happy with my weight, body appearance, attitude, and compassion for living now! I'm 5'2" 119lbs. I was stuck at 135lbs forever!! To most that may seem like no big deal, but when my ideal weight is suppose to be 117-125 I was OVERWEIGHT by 10lbs. Now I feel AMAZING.

If you want to give up, then it's your choice. If you're happy with who you are then don't stress! :001_smile: I really stuck out my weight loss journey so I could drop those 10lbs, to only find a NEW ME under those pounds and even lost more than I originally thought I physically could and be happy too.