Menu

Living math equivalent for logic?

Ok, I'm drawing a blank here. I can think of fiction books to teach philosophy, fiction for math, but what about living books, narratives, fiction, whatever for *logic*? Any suggestions? I was just realizing that would be our best way to get it in. She's really not a "sit down and memorize these 3 definitions" kind of person...

How about Lewis Carroll? Watch out for the anti Semetic ones.

Martin Gardner has a book of his puzzles, called Universe in a Handkerchief, and is an excellent source of puzzles in general.

There is a book about Philosophy for kids that includes suggestions for specific titles to discuss, called Little Big Minds, by Marietta McCarthy. It is not limited to logic and is a book for the adult not the child, to lead discussions. There's another one, I remember it included something about Frog & Toad, but I forgot the name.

Edited by stripe

Well, you could always start with the Sherlock Holmes stories...

A fascinating angle on logic is through the Aspie narrator of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon. We just saw this as turned into a stage play and filmed live in London, then distributed to theaters here for one day only -- absolutely gripping.

And don't forget there are other ways to approach logic besides through rhetoric. Regentrude has often posted about the value of mathematical logic and the logic of physics. Chess is another excellent way to think about logic, as are some of the visual-spatial logic games from ThinkFun.

Well I get you, but in this case I actually meant logic/rhetoric. :) We've done the more informal stuff and chess and that kind of thing. I was trying to figure out if there was something *engaging* to cover formal logic. THAT is a much harder find. Their game seems to be throw a bunch of terms at the kid and pretend he likes it.

True, though I think they cross over a bit, and I think some people have used this as a logic book.

A few more titles:

Logic to the Rescue

The Game of Logic

and

A list of logic-related books from Living Math

Yes, this is the direction I was thinking. I found that first one (and the sequel) on amazon today. I'll look through the rest of your links. That first book is a little young. It could actually bump up a bit in reading level and thought process...

I know this isn 't really what you are looking for but have you tried the Fallacy Detective? My ds is a Traditional Logic failure. He could not grasp it even with the dvds ( my dd loved it). I had pretty much decided to skip logic with him because he is great at the puzzle type of logic just not the terms. Anyway this book was free on the kindle with prime. He loves it. He understands it. It is currently one of the best things we are doing. I do it with them. We go off on lots of rabbit trails thanks to the rather odd situations described in the questions--yesterday was how the electoral college shapes US elections. They learn a wide variety of odd facts thanks to the exercise questions but are also get pretty much every single one right.

Ok, somebody clue me in. The LSAT is the test to get into law school? And it has formal logic questions in a game format?? My library search is popping up all these titles in the vein of "Conquering LSAT Logic Games"... Anybody know anything about this?

You can buy logic puzzles, similar to those books of crossword puzzles or word searches. Dell makes some.

http://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/subcategory.aspx?c=logicmath

I think the British ones are especially good.

I know someone who teaches LSAT prep, who thinks this is the way to go.

When I took the GRE, there was a logical reasoning section. It was my top scoring section. It reminded me of puzzles, too.

You can buy logic puzzles, similar to those books of crossword puzzles or word searches. Dell makes some.

http://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/subcategory.aspx?c=logicmath

I think the British ones are especially good.

I know someone who teaches LSAT prep, who thinks this is the way to go.

When I took the GRE, there was a logical reasoning section. It was my top scoring section. It reminded me of puzzles, too.

Hmm, we've done some logic puzzles. I didn't realize that's what was on the LSAT. Thanks for the link to the Dell site. I didn't know there were british ones. The ones I did in high school and college had small print (for her).