Menu

Chicago without the kids

FeFe

Dh and I are going to Chicago (first visit) for two nights next week.

We're staying on E. Superior Street near Magnificent Mile. We'll have our car.

I know we're probably going to take one of the architecture tours. We think we might wait to go to Willis Tower when we come back with the kids. We like to walk around antique stores or other unique stores.

We haven't been on a trip alone in years. We want a nice, relaxing time but don't want to wander around aimlessly either.

Any ideas on must see/do/eat?

Parking is outrageous and so is traffic. See if you can park and leave it as much as possible. Do not go anywhere without first asking your concierge where you can park.

Other than that, my favorites are:

--Walking through Grant Park and Millenium Park and along the lake.

--Concerts at the CSO.

--Art Institute. This is easy to do the same day you take your long walk through the parks because the AI is right smack in the middle.

--Tea at the Russian Tea Room.

--Watch a play at the Royal George or the Chicago Shakespeare Theater. RG hosts a lot of comedies, and CST has Shakespeare (obviously) as well as comedies and other, always really, really well done.

--River tours. I like the one that goes on the lake, but the one that heads into the city is nice too.

--Heaven on Seven for incredible cajun food.

--Cheesecake Factory in the North Loop for bizarre architecture and dessert.

--Blue Man Group

Dh and I are going to Chicago (first visit) for two nights next week.

We're staying on E. Superior Street near Magnificent Mile. We'll have our car.

I know we're probably going to take one of the architecture tours. We think we might wait to go to Willis Tower when we come back with the kids. We like to walk around antique stores or other unique stores.

We haven't been on a trip alone in years. We want a nice, relaxing time but don't want to wander around aimlessly either.

Any ideas on must see/do/eat?

Riva's Cafe (not a cafe per se but a very nice restaurant) on Navy Pier is wonderful. I highly recommend the Halibut on a bed of roasted leeks and mushrooms with herbed baby red potatoes if they still have it on the menu.

While there, peruse the Stained Glass window gallery and stroll the pier.

Chicago Art Institute is a favorite stop for dh and I.

Faith

Riva's Cafe (not a cafe per se but a very nice restaurant) on Navy Pier is wonderful. I highly recommend the Halibut on a bed of roasted leeks and mushrooms with herbed baby red potatoes if they still have it on the menu.

While there, peruse the Stained Glass window gallery and stroll the pier.

Chicago Art Institute is a favorite stop for dh and I.

Faith

Oh, yes. The stained glass gallery is gorgeous.

We stayed in that same area for a month last year. It was a great neighborhood! I'd leave the car parked as much as possible. Public transportation is good, and sometimes even a taxi is worth it over driving and parking.

My two favorite museums there are the Museum of Science and Industry (you would need to drive to get there) and the Field Museum. Our favorite restaurant on the Magnificent Mile is the Grand Lux Cafe. The Macy's building has a food court which is fun and very good.

Across the street from the Art Institute is the Chicago Cultural Center. It is a jewel and is free. Sometimes they have free concerts. The interior of the building is a work of art.

The museum campus is south of Grant Park. The Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium and Adler Planatarium are within walking distance of one another and the view of the city is beautiful. I hope you enjoy visiting the Windy City!

Parking is outrageous and so is traffic. See if you can park and leave it as much as possible. Do not go anywhere without first asking your concierge where you can park.

:iagree: The public transport system is pretty great there. You can buy a pass for cheap and hop on and off the buses and trains at will. Google Maps had an option for public transport that helped us figure out which lines/numbers to take.

Garrett Popcorn!!!

http://www.garrettpopcorn.com/

Oh my goodness, YES. BEST caramel corn EVER, and that is coming from a serious caramel popcorn connoisseur :lol:

Take a river boat tour. The architecture one is really fun. Navy Pier, Art Institute, Millennium Park, Sears Tower (aka Willis tower). Any number of shows, restaurants, etc. Miracle Mile for shopping.

I love love love Chicago! Been twice, can't wait to go back!

Edited by LemonPie

Lots of interesting neighborhoods--ethnic food.

Rick Bayless has 2 restaurants there. ;)

The lakefront is fun to walk along, the Hancock building is fun to climb, the city zoo is free, Michigan Avenue has great window shopping, Garrett popcorn, lots of improv and comedy clubs, lots of plays.

Its fun to go in December when the lights are up for the Christkindlmarket.

I would probably do a little research on plays or comedy or whatever you're interested in, otherwise it can be fun to hit a bakery and spend all day walking and eating.

Sooo much to do! Michigan Avd has lots of shops, art galleris and great places to eat. Not far is Navy Pier which has IMAX along with gift shops, rides and wonderful places to eat!!!

We stayed at the Embassy Suites downtown and it was a taste of heaven!!!

Have fun!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd give an update of what we did. First of all it was a beautiful city!

We stayed at the Mile North Hotel, just half a block from Michigan Avenue. Very nice and clean. Had a lovely view. We had dinner at Mike Ditka's Steakhouse and I have to say it was the best food I've had in awhile. Highly recommend it!

We got to experience fall colors with spring weather (almost 80!) on our only full day there. We had breakfast at the West Egg and walked around Millennium and Grant Park. We walked along some of the river and took the Architectural River Tour. It was a perfect day for it. We both enjoyed learning a little Chicago history. And the chocolate smell coming from the chocolate factory (which we never found) was so tempting! We did some shopping on the Mile and ate pizza at Giordano's. Wow! I could only eat that once or twice a year but YUM! We got a big bag of Chicago Mix from Garrett's Popcorn. I have to say, I've had better caramel (http://www.fisherspopcorn.com/) but the caramel mixed with the cheese was scrumdillyumpcious!

On our last day we drove to the Belmont Avenue area to a couple of antique stores. Rode by Wrigley Field and then went to Navy Pier. It was a cold, misty day and not much was going on there. We picked up some souvenirs for the kids, walked the pier and ate a Chicago dog - another new favorite!

It took less than 3 hours to get there from our house. We're planning on going back with the kids soon and doing museums and such. I think DH and I may go again alone to catch a show or two over Christmas as well.

I definitely think we'll be heading that way a few times a year.

Thank you for the suggestions!