Menu

ADHD or not? Reaction to meds

Beans27

My 12yr old is in private school. He's dx with all the dys. We think he might have add. He was on Concerta in 3rd grade but he was too robotic and lost too much weight so he went off.

Last year, his neuro rx'd intuniv. It seemed great, until he went up on the dose. Then he was zoning out too much. So we went back down and it just wasnt the same. So he went off that.

Now this year, his neuro rx'd strattera because it's good for anxiety and add. Things were great for a week, but then he started really crashing at the 8hr mark and was outright nasty. He's still in school at the 8hr mark. :scared:

So today I told him not to take the strattera and see how he was. After school he seemed so confused and out of it. But he's not nasty. Tonight he seems better than earlier. Not so confused.

He also has anxiety, epilepsy, and capd. He had a neuropsych this past summer and it said, among other things, r/o dysthymia, which is chronic depression. I have been saying something was up for the last 3yrs. He has gone downhill. Nothing makes him happy. He rarely smiles. He is like Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh, that is the best way to describe him.

I am so torn about what to do. Our ped doesn't deal with antidepressants or adhd meds. His neuro hasn't returned my calls his week. (drives me crazy when they can't bother returning calls)

His anxiety was alot better on the strattera. It was just coming down that was horrible.

Any advice?? Ideas? Anything? :001_smile:

I took Stratterra and I can honestly say it is the worst medication I have ever taken! I know it helps some people, but I was anxious, angry, stressed, and out of it all the time. I gave it six weeks to adjust with no improvement. The side effects were such that my ADD actually got worse because I was so anxious.

I took Stratterra and I can honestly say it is the worst medication I have ever taken! I know it helps some people, but I was anxious, angry, stressed, and out of it all the time. I gave it six weeks to adjust with no improvement. The side effects were such that my ADD actually got worse because I was so anxious.

ETA...that might not sound that helpful, but I always cringe knowing how it affected me when I hear about kiddos taking it to help with anxiety.

My son is on 60mg of Straterra right now. We started him 4 weeks ago after a 2 visit consult with our new ped who does neuro exams and does prescribe meds for ADHD. He was on Focalin 10mg 2 times a day for almost 2 years and never really seemed to do very well on it. I was hesitant to do Straterra because it's not been out for long and is a non-stimulant med. I can say after 4wks it is like he is not on anything at all. You are supposed to take it at night because it helps with sleep and it is is a long lasting drug. It has to build up in your system and maximum effectiveness usually does not appear until after 6wks. We are into our 5th week and our 3rd day of the 60mg dosage. I am not optimistic that it will help.

I have lots of experience with depression myself and have done a paper for my master's degree on kids and depression. It is very dangerous to put a child under the age of 12 on any depression meds and even at 12 it is risky. The side effects far outweigh the good in most cases. The depression could be a side effect of the ADHD or the other diagnosis you mentioned; in other words he may not have true clinical depression.

Stopping the Straterra will not hurt him if you choose to do that, if he were on a stimulant med for any length of time I would not stop it because of the side effects. You are his mother and if you see that it's not working or making some things worse than don't give it to him. My son has had to stop Concerta and Focalin because he could not sleep and lost 9lbs in one year. He is in the 1 percent for his weight right now and if this doesn't change we may have to forgo using meds for his ADHD alltogether.

I would call your neuro and state that it is imperative that they return your call because you feel that your son is reacting negatively to the meds he has been prescribed. They have to return your call then because of the possible damaging side effects that could be going on. Also, about the anxiety.....your son's ADHD is probably causing this; it is with my son and just another aspect of the disorder. I would not add another med for his anxiety when it's the ADD/ADHD that needs to be controlled so that the other stuff will stop. I could go on and on about this stuff because this is what I am going to be a counselor for but you get the picture.

Well neuro finally called back. She said stop strattera, which we already did. She said ds is obviously not adhd because of how he reacts to the meds.

She thinks it's anxiety based. My oldest ds has that too.

So, now to make appt with psychiatrist because the anxiety and dysthymia is more than she wants to handle.

He seems better off the strattera, but his anxiety is back.

I noticed in your first post that you might not have tried any meds in the Adderall or Dex family. Depending on body chemistry he might react much better to those vs. Ritalin family or a non stimulant.

That is the way it has been for both Ds and I. If you feel strongly there might be ADD going on, which can cause anxiety just by being so muddled and feeling "behind" all the time, I would consider that other class of meds.

We have had similar experiences in our family with ADHD, anxiety, and weight loss complications from medicines. We did find that one family of meds (Dex. Adderall) worked better than the Ritalin family or the non-stimulants.

Also at age 12, your kiddo is old enough to take responsibility for eating enough. I do still have to remind my kids and make hearty breakfasts, but they are responsible for eating lunch - even though the meds kill their appetites.

For anxiety, we have found that Omega-3's really help. We use Coromega gels as they absorb quickly. Cod liver oil capsules also worked well.

I'm a big fan of cleaning up the diet, too. First getting rid of artificial colors and flavors, then moving away from processed foods as completely as possible.

Best of luck

Thanks so much for all your replies!

DS is definitley not adhd. Possibly add but then again he's a boy. ;).

I spoke to one psychiatrist who sounded great, but doesn't take insurance. So Monday I will call those who take our insurance and hopefully find one who has an opening.

He was bullied in ps starting in 4th grade. 6th was the worst year, but he knew he was getting out for jr high. Now that I am homeschooling dd and see how easly it is, I wish I had just pulled ds and homeschooled him. The bullying changed him and if he definitely has dysthymia, that is the cause.

He is now off Strattera for 3 full days and is back to himself. The meanness is gone.

Came back to add....he is already on fish oil pills recommended by his neuro.

One problem I have with adhd meds is it makes him so robotic. He has no emotion and it seems all creativity is gone. He's an awesome artist and that is stiffled when he's on meds. It's interesting.

maybe he is just super sensitive to the meds and needs a MUCH lower dose than most kids his age/size?

Have you ever tried the meds at a tiny dose--like the lowest possible? You are right, the right meds at the right dose should NOT create a child that is a robot, etc.

My girls are full bio siblings but one took 400mg a day of one med while her sister (only 14 months younger but taller and heavier) takes 100mg a day for the same effect.

My son had depression and anxiety and adhd symptoms, but he had tics so the adhd meds of the time were not recommended. Is he on any anti-siezure meds? he definitely should be under the care of a psychiatrist - try to interview a few that are covered by your insurance - i actually was able to phone-interview some (or those might have been therapists, i forget). My son started on SSRIs for the anxiety and then a small dose of Risperdone for the adhd symptoms - the risperdone turned out to be his miracle drug. it did make it harder for him to focus sometimes, but he got along better with people and was happier and slept better . .huge difference. You might be in for some experimentation - and definitely say so if the meds seem to make him worse! The p-docs i've worked in bring us back in 3-4 weeks after every med change, to see how its going. dont let them give you a new drug and tell you to come back in 3 months!

Thanks so much for all your replies!

DS is definitley not adhd. Possibly add but then again he's a boy. ;).

I spoke to one psychiatrist who sounded great, but doesn't take insurance. So Monday I will call those who take our insurance and hopefully find one who has an opening.

He was bullied in ps starting in 4th grade. 6th was the worst year, but he knew he was getting out for jr high. Now that I am homeschooling dd and see how easly it is, I wish I had just pulled ds and homeschooled him. The bullying changed him and if he definitely has dysthymia, that is the cause.

He is now off Strattera for 3 full days and is back to himself. The meanness is gone.

My son was "robotic" also on higher dosages of meds and he does have ADHD. Just because he is robotic doesn't mean he isn't ADHD, in fact it means that the meds are working but a little too well. If he wasn't ADD then the meds would have made him HIGH, not robotic. Trust me, I know. He needs to be on a lower dose because his body metabolizes the meds differently just like my son. But, it also sounds like Straterra is not his drug and I am finding this out with my son.

Docs are reluctant to prescribe Ritalin or Adderall because of their reputation but for some kids these are the best meds. I would tell your doc what you want to try and be forceful if you have to. Don't let him talk you into something you are not comfortable with.